medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:24 PM
20240331_103210.jpg

I had used part of a Jimmy Dean's chub of original breakfast sausage so scaled down the original recipe for that and also because there are only 2 of us and I didn't want more than 1 more breakfast leftover. So, the amounts in parentheses are for 2 for 2 breakfasts, and I baked in a 9x7 pyrex snapware dish. The full amount should be in a 9x13 pan.

1 (3/4) pound bulk pork breakfast sausage cooked and drained
1-3/4 cups/15 ounce can (1-1/4 cups) hominy, drained
2 (1-2/3) cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, large grated, divided, reserving 1/2 (1/3) for top
6 (4) large eggs
1-1/2 (1) cups milk
Several (couple) good shakes of your favorite hot sauce
1/2 (1/3) each large torched, peeled, seeded, red and yellow peppers, diced
1/2 (1/3) cup diced red onion
2 (1-1/4) tbsp unsalted butter melted, plus more to grease pan
salt and black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Rinse and drain hominy. Brown sausage over medium low until some pink is left. Add red onions and finish cooking sausage. Cool slightly. Drain or blot grease with paper towels. Add butter so it will melt.

Crack and add eggs to a large bowl, whisk with a fork or spoon to break yolks and whites. Add milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste, mix well. Add everything else to bowl, don't forget to reserve some cheese, and gently combine.

Pour into buttered baking dish. I lay a piece of foil over top because I don't like really browned eggs. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes more or until knife comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve.

Casserole can be made the night before and refrigerated.

Inspiration from Must love home

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom