Recipe Honeyed Spiced Eggs (Vietnamese style)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:42 AM
This economical dish is very easy to make but it does take time to cook. The plus side is that the preparation time is minimal. The slow reduction of the sauce ensures maximum flavour and although it may seem strange to cook eggs for so long, I think it does improve their flavour and its not uncommon in Vietnamese dishes to cook hard-boiled eggs for a long time. The texture of the whites change and become more ‘substantial’ although perhaps, not to everyone's taste. The eggs are delicious served on their own as a snack or alternatively as a meal over noodles or rice, with their sauce. I should add that Vietnamese dishes would probably not contain honey but sugar.

The recipe is fat free aside from the fat contained in the eggs and can be made vegetarian by substituting the fish sauce with 2 tbsp of light soy sauce or a vegan ‘fish’ sauce.

Ingredients (serves 2)
4 - 6 shelled hard-boiled eggs
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
4 tbsp fish sauce
4 tbsp honey
2 tsp ground kashmiri chilli (or use ground chilli of your choice)
300 ml water
1 thumb of ginger, thinly sliced
1 or 2 fat cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 star anise
Spring onions and fresh red chillies to serve

Method
  1. Place the ketchup, fish sauce, honey and chilli powder in a saucepan. Whisk together and then gradually whisk in the water.
  2. Add the ginger, garlic, star anise and hard-boiled eggs.
  3. Simmer gently for one hour over a low heat turning the eggs in the sauce from time to time. The sauce will reduce and become thicker and the eggs will colour slightly. Taste the sauce and add salt if required.
  4. Serve over rice or noodles with spring onions and sliced red chillies. Alternatively, serve the eggs on their own as a snack and save the sauce to use over noodles or rice in another dish.

Last edited:
This economical dish is very easy to make but it does take time to cook. The plus side is that the preparation time is minimal. The slow reduction of the sauce ensures maximum flavour and although it may seem strange to cook eggs for so long, I think it does improve their flavour and its not uncommon in Vietnamese dishes to cook hard-boiled eggs for a long time. The texture of the whites change and become more ‘substantial’ although perhaps, not to everyone's taste. The eggs are delicious served on their own as a snack or alternatively as a meal over noodles or rice, with their sauce. I should add that Vietnamese dishes would probably not contain honey but sugar.

The recipe is fat free aside from the fat contained in the eggs and can be made vegetarian by substituting the fish sauce with 2 tbsp of light soy sauce or a vegan ‘fish’ sauce.

View attachment 32556

Ingredients (serves 2)
4 - 6 shelled hard-boiled eggs
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
4 tbsp fish sauce
4 tbsp honey
2 tsp ground kashmiri chilli (or use ground chilli of your choice)
300 ml water
1 thumb of ginger, thinly sliced
1 or 2 fat cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 star anise
Spring onions and fresh red chillies to serve

Method
  1. Place the ketchup, fish sauce, honey and chilli powder in a saucepan. Whisk together and then gradually whisk in the water.
  2. Add the ginger, garlic, star anise and hard-boiled eggs.
  3. Simmer gently for one hour over a low heat turning the eggs in the sauce from time to time. The sauce will reduce and become thicker and the eggs will colour slightly. Taste the sauce and add salt if required.
  4. Serve over rice or noodles with spring onions and sliced red chillies. Alternatively, serve the eggs on their own as a snack and save the sauce to use over noodles or rice in another dish.

View attachment 32555
Eggs, cherry tomatoes, scallions on a bed of rice. Just that alone is a winner in my book! Well done morning glory

Back
Top Bottom