Hot smoked foods (fish in particular): advice please

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:02 PM
So last year in April for my DHs birthday I bought him a small electric smoker. He isn't a grill kind of guy in general (and weather in NE OH is so fickle that grilling and smoking aren't always easy to do) but I thought that with an electric smoker he might be more interested in trying stuff, since he always raves about other people's smoked foods they've cooked (brisket, pork shoulder, smoked salmon, etc.). We do like hot smoked salmon on bagels quite a bit and that stuff is pretty expensive in the stores.

At any rate, this past fall I bought DH a small pork shoulder to try out (I had bought him one of my favorite types of wood chips to use, mesquite) and I made the rub for it and researched how to do it. It was a great success, moist, tender, and delicious. About a month later we did a small boneless leg of lamb for pulled lamb (smoked lamb gyros, yum!) and it also worked out great. The next attempt was smoked salmon and it turned out yummy as well. I had bought the salmon fresh and we smoked it skin on (skinside down of course).

Fast forward to today: I have another large piece of fresh salmon (about 1 lb) with skin on we are smoking tonight to use on bagels this week. While we have the smoker going, we have room to do some mahi mahi in there as well. I was thinking smoked mahi mahi tacos since I have corn tortillas, crema, lime, and cilantro on hand (I will have to run out to get some cabbage or something as well and DH requested some black beans). Ok but here's the thing: the mahi mahi is in my freezer and it's small portions (about 3-4 oz each), and it's also skinless. I know that mahi mahi is a leaner fish with the salmon being more oily , and with the mahi mahi having no skin I am thinking it's going to cook much quicker. Additionally, I don't mind if the salmon is a tad dry because we are going more for a cure hot smoke with it (I make a cream cheese, shallot, and capers mixture using the smoked salmon which will add moisture), and since the mahi mahi is going to be in fish tacos I want it to be smoky in flavor but moist in texture. So, in cooking both at the same time, I realize it's going to take less time for the mahi to cook than it will the salmon.

I have read a lot of differing opinions about smoking the mahi mahi (I think we have the salmon figured out). One person wrote it was okay to put it straight on the oiled grates (my fear is it will fall apart upon being fully cooked and go through the grates). Another person wrote to use parchment paper under the mahi mahi to prevent this, another recommended wrapping in foil and poking holes in the foil to allow the smoke to penetrate into the fish.

No one has addressed the issues of cooking two different types of fish at the same time but I think it can be done easily enough. I think we are going to do the mahi mahi for about 60 minutes at 225 and do the salmon for 90 minutes. And yes I will be cutting up that salmon filet into 4 oz portions to aid the cooking time.

Does anyone have any input or advice here? I also have interest in smoking other types of seafood and more in the future, so please post your experiences!

Can you get banana leaves?
Put fish fillet on it, add spices & limited liquid condiments, wrap.
Close with toot picks. Even stays moist when cooked on the higher heat of a grill.
You need to hear the banana leaves to make them pliable. But it's easy and the smell when you open the package is amazing (note to self: why don't I do this more often?)

I don’t know anything about smoking any foods, but can you use one of those vegetable holders for a grill in that smoker? I don’t know what the proper name is, but you probably know what I mean - it’s sort of like a wire basket, you put vegetables in it, it snaps shut, and it usually has some kind of handle to make turning it over easy.

As to time, no idea. Sorry.

Can you get banana leaves?
Put fish fillet on it, add spices & limited liquid condiments, wrap.
Close with toot picks. Even stays moist when cooked on the higher heat of a grill.
You need to hear the banana leaves to make them pliable. But it's easy and the smell when you open the package is amazing (note to self: why don't I do this more often?)
That sounds great but I'd probably have to order them online for delivery. Any idea on how long those stay fresh?

We're smoking fish today but will keep in mind for the future. Thanks!

Last edited:
Can you use a soaked cedar plank to put the mahi on while smoking? Brine it first and then put a dry rub on it to help retain some of the moisture, put it on the soaked cedar plank in the smoker?

Can you use a soaked cedar plank to put the mahi on while smoking? Brine it first and then put a dry rub on it to help retain some of the moisture, put it on the soaked cedar plank in the smoker?
Thanks! I like that idea quite well. I'll look when I run out later today. I'm going to Aldi but sometimes they do have stuff like that in the Aldi finds section. We're going to start smoking around 6 (we eat late) and it's getting close to 2pm here. The mahi is thawing now. I read fish rubs only need to be on the fish a few hours in advance so I've got time to do that but I don't have time to run to different stores to look for planks. Hopefully Aldi will have some.

That sounds great but I'd probably have to order them online for delivery. Any idea on how long those stay fresh?
If you've got a Mexican grocery anywhere near you (I know there are a few further south, near Cinci), then you can find plantain leaves. they'll have exactly the same effect and they're already heated up (which makes them pliable).

If you've got a Mexican grocery anywhere near you (I know there are a few further south, near Cinci), then you can find plantain leaves. they'll have exactly the same effect and they're already heated up (which makes them pliable).
I bet there's one up in Cleveland (40 miles north). I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Fish doesn't take long to cook and definitely don't marinade for too long (esp if the marinade contains acids).
You'll be doing great!
You can use alu foil instead of banana/plantain leaves, but obviously alu foil doesn't add any flavour

We're doing it at a very low heat (225F/107C). The mahi will cook about an hour, the salmon a little longer. We've got mesquite wood chips.

Really excited to try some of the suggestions here for next time!

We're smoking fish today but will keep in mind for the future. Thanks!
I've also only just started smoking things and salmon is on my hit list.

I'm thinking denature it with salt n sugar n gin first. Then smoke it. That way you know it's safe to eat.

I just put the salmon rub on (lemon zest, garlic powder, dry dill, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
20240420_143745.jpg

I've also only just started smoking things and salmon is on my hit list.

I'm thinking denature it with salt n sugar n gin first. Then smoke it. That way you know it's safe to eat.
I'm hot smoking mine. I cooked some from the same batch last night in the oven and it was delicious. I'm not crazy about cold smoked fish but cold smoked cheese is an idea. I saw you had some smoked vegan cheese recently.

Back
Top Bottom