How Do You Soup?

Soups are awesome! They warm the body and soul and are great at stretching ingredients to feed a family or large party. I don't make soup often enough. My favorites are
  • Chinese Chicken Soup, ie the style made with boiled chicken and ginger, features a clear broth and is excellent if you're feeling under the weather
  • Jamaican Pumpkin Soup, which can be beef/chicken based or can be made vegetarian
  • Another home town favorite: Red Peas Soup which is beef-based, and features kidney beans, flour dumplings, and salted pig's tail (sometimes I remove this for my American friends who find this a weird ingredient).
  • Korean Soon Dobu, basically a spicy tofu soup and can feature beef, seafood, or both :)

Only from tins (cans) I'm afraid. Except for tom yam, of course.

I've never had this soup before, in fact I'm quite unfamiliar with the Thai Cuisine in general.
I never know what to order and wind up having the same dishes over and over.

IMG_5687.JPG

I just love Congee or Jook as we call it in Hawaii.
This batch was made with the leftover Turkey carcass, which is very typical.
Normally, I top the finished bowl with oodles of sliced Green Onions (Scallions) but on this day,
I was all out of them.
I keep individual servings in the freezer for myself, DH despises this stuff, and I can de-frost it quickly for a warming down to your toes breakfast. MMM, MMM good! Oh wait, that's a different commercial. :)

View attachment 76619

Normally, I top the finished bowl with oodles of sliced Green Onions (Scallions) but on this day,
I was all out of them.
I keep individual servings in the freezer for myself, DH despises this stuff, and I can de-frost it quickly for a warming down to your toes breakfast. MMM, MMM good! Oh wait, that's a different commercial. :)
I don't make this nearly often enough. This is pure comfort food!

I only like tomato soup from the can. In fact I just spotted a tin while getting a tin out earlier. And only in winter or an unusually cold weekend.

Russ
You picked a soup I don't like!

Don't be shocked, Rascal! You know how picky I am, LOL! When the kids were little they liked grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup to dip it in. I like grilled cheese, but never understood the tomato soup part. Maybe I would like it if I made it from scratch? Not sure.
Here in Northern Arizona USA, it's coming on to Soup Season.
You know, it's getting cooler during the day, there's a nip in the air and your thoughts drift to a nice warm bowl in your hand of goodness.

I could eat Soup every day of the year, I love a good Soup, but my DH thinks that it should be reserved for this time of the year, colder weather.

I like to make all different sorts of Soups and portion them off to stash in the freezer for whenever I want a soul-satisfying meal.

View attachment 76592

I made a small-ish batch of Spilt Pea and Ham Hock Soup... YUM!

How do you Soup?
I don't like soup in hot weather, but I could do it in milder summer weather with no problem. But it is particularly satisfying when it's chilly out.

Last edited:
View attachment 76619

I was all out of them.
Slightly off topic, but if you buy scallions, when you cut off the root part, you can put it in a glass of water on your windowsill (I use a shot glass) and it will grow. Or you can just stick it in the soil if you have a place where it gets enough sun and it isn't too cold and it will root right in and grow. It's actually been in the 30s here (and a little colder at night) and my green onions are the only thing left growing in the garden. It will come back next year as well.

Slightly off topic, but if you buy scallions, when you cut off the root part, you can put it in a glass of water on your windowsill (I use a shot glass) and it will grow. Or you can just stick it in the soil if you have a place where it gets enough sun and it isn't too cold and it will root right in and grow. It's actually been in the 30s here (and a little colder at night) and my green onions are the only thing left growing in the garden. It will come back next year as well.
We have spring onions coming put our ears here.

Russ

We have spring onions coming put our ears here.

Russ
That's good to hear. The high here tomorrow is 28F (-2.2C) I think unless it changed since the last time I looked. Nothing else growing out there but the spring onions are doing just fine!

I do the glass of water thing all the time. I get one more use out of the scallions/green onions before they get too leggy and the flavor goes bitter.

CD

We eat soups year round.
hot or cold. the last few summers have been spent exploring cold soups because it was simply too hot for even warm soups. In fact this week we are meant to be having avocado & coconut soup. i'm going to have to be creative with the coconut side of life though because there is no fresh or frozen coconut to be had anywhere right now. They sell frozen coconut flesh here in the frozen fruit part of the supermarket normally.

We also have mango soup, another cold soup.

I have 3 or 4 cookbooks that are dedicated to vegetarian soups. My favourite being Soups for all Seasons by Nava Atlas. My copy is nearly 30 years old. Looking at the inside cover, I think it's actually a first edition. I remember the bookshop having to order it in for me and we being at a total loss as to what a lot of the ingredients were at first, not to mention this wierd method of weighing out vegetables, flour, butter, milk, cheese and more in a system of cups! Most recipes have handwritten anotations on them give the correct weight as best as I could establish!

Recipe - Chilled Avocado and Coconut Soup

Recipe - Mango Soup

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom