How Do You Soup?

View attachment 77632

Loaded Potato Soup: homemade chicken stock, potato chunks, bacon, sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, scallions, just like a loaded baked potato, with Shrimp added in 😋 `cuz why not gild that lily just a bit.
I added a goodly pinch of Cayenne when I did a last taste for seasoning, good call.
For service, freshly ground Black Pepper and Scallions.
Oh, those crackers on the side of the bowl, those are flown in all the way from Hawaii!
Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers.
For this household of home-sick Island folks, this is comfort food.
This is coming down to the last of what I brought back in my suitcase from Honolulu in 2019... I can find these in Las Vegas, about a three hour drive from our home, but we're not making any trips in the foreseeable future.
That is such soul-satisfyingly, warm you to your toes, fill up that empty belly, put a smile on your face, delicious soup ... I need to make another batch very soon.
My Neighborhood Gal Pals make requests for this soup all the time... I've given them all the recipe, it's not that difficult, but they're not avid cooks.
I didn't share this batch with them :rolleyes:

That is such soul-satisfyingly, warm you to your toes, fill up that empty belly, put a smile on your face, delicious soup ... I need to make another batch very soon.
My Neighborhood Gal Pals make requests for this soup all the time... I've given them all the recipe, it's not that difficult, but they're not avid cooks.
I didn't share this batch with them :rolleyes:

It does look very good. :okay:

chicken wild rice and mushroom soup.JPG

Made this batch last month, Chicken & Wild Rice with Mushrooms.
I did it in the Instant Pot, but I wasn't real crazy about the texture of the Mushrooms.
So I made this again today for lunch and used New Potatoes instead of the Mushrooms.
Very tasty!

Last edited:
Just the usual stuff..onion, carrot, celery, peppercorns, turkey carcass ..I'll simmer for about 4 hours..top it up every hour for the first three..

That's interesting. Maybe I'm missing a trick? I usually don't top it up so much but let it reduce somewhat. I'm doing this with chicken tomorrow.

I also throw in a coupla smashed Garlic Cloves, Bay Leaves and Parsley stems that I save in the freezer.
Actually, all of the scrapes of carrot peelings, onion root-ends, celery discards, all go into a zip-top bag labeled "for soup" and live in the deep freezer.

Rocklobster do you ever roast the bones and veg before they go into the stock pot?
Not with turkey..I trow in all of the skin and roasted bits with it so it extracts those flavours..with beef I I roast bones but rarely do that any more as they have become as expensive as meat..
At the shop I have lots of beef scrap every day from the roasts we cook for sliced roast beef..I have a method where I add some fat and then the beef scrap. I simmer it down and keep stirring it occasionally so it doesn't stick and burn... then, it starts to develop a nice thick, concentrated dark fond on the bottom of the big pot before I add some garlic, mirepoix and water to simmer for a couple of hours..

Not with turkey..I trow in all of the skin and roasted bits with it so it extracts those flavours..with beef I I roast bones but rarely do that any more as they have become as expensive as meat..
At the shop I have lots of beef scrap every day from the roasts we cook for sliced roast beef..I have a method where I add some fat and then the beef scrap. I simmer it down and keep stirring it occasionally so it doesn't stick and burn... then, it starts to develop a nice thick, concentrated dark fond on the bottom of the big pot before I add some garlic, mirepoix and water to simmer for a couple of hours..
Shop? I've been out of touch as of late ... I thought you guys sold the restaurant?

Back
Top Bottom