How is the corona virus affecting you?

Just what we needed. We take it in turns to do our weekly shop at the local Co-op. It's quite a small store with narrow aisles, but it is well marked with distance and direction signs. Most people appear capable of following the rules, including wearing face coverings.

It was Catherine's turn today. She had the pleasure of queuing at the till behind a coughing and spluttering drunk who wasn't wearing a face covering. He was trying, without success, to buy some cans of rubbish lager. After goodness knows how much faffing about, it appeared he didn't have enough money and eventually left. To compound the felonies, he managed to leave through the wrong door.

Catherine told me, "No way was I going to stand anywhere near him. Then some woman behind me asked if I could move forward a bit. I pointed at the [expletive deleted] in front of me and said, 'If you want to stand near that idiot, go ahead. You can have my place.' The woman looked apologetic and said, 'Sorry, I see what you mean.' Fortunately, the ape departed soon after."

Sigh.

My surprise plans are shot for chrimbo week. First it was a five day cruise of the local islands on this
1603885781417.png
Cancelled. Then it was here
1603886000037.png
for Christmas weekend advent market.Advent market has just been cancelled. We can't take our trip to Serbia to visit family for Orthodox Christmas. Mrs Blanks comment was Look at all the money you are saving

Restaurants and bars and clubs etc are to remain closed until next year here. We can only order take out until further notice. The only exception for now are hotels, but they may be closed after next weeks press conference.

It's gonna be a pretty austere December going by the predictions. I'm just prepping to make it comfortable at home.

Closed until next year is quite hard to manage.

Hugs from me too, sweetie
We are all sharing another difficult moment

Closed until next year is quite hard to manage.

Hugs from me too, sweetie
We are all sharing another difficult moment

I am so sorry your area is going through so much with this. It is unbelievable. I still cannot believe we've been stuck in limbo since February. Where did the time go?

I'm trying to just take it day-by-day. I think that's all any of us can do, really.

I hope everyone continues to stay safe out there. 🙃

I am so sorry your area is going through so much with this. It is unbelievable. I still cannot believe we've been stuck in limbo since February. Where did the time go?

I'm trying to just take it day-by-day. I think that's all any of us can do, really.

I hope everyone continues to stay safe out there. 🙃

Thank you for your kind words, hun

I share your mood, just take it day-by-day and by my side I keep thinking that all that I’ve not achieved yet, it’s only postponed and sooner or later I’ll be able to get my goals. I surely will keep to take care of people in need (more than me) as I do normally and did even more during the first lockdown - with all the safe restrictions, of course.
I have an old neighbour who is completely alone and this brokes my heart every single day. She is a poor gentle scary soul who doesn’t get the attention of her family (if we can call them a family). I will never let her alone, nobody deserves this especially in this moment

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words, hun

I share your mood, just take it day-by-day and by my side I keep thinking that all that I’ve not achieved yet, it’s inly postponed and sooner or later I’ll be able to get my goals. I surely will keep to take care of people in need (more than me) as I do normally and did even more during the first lockdown - with all the safe restrictions, of course.
I have an old neighbour who is completely alone and this brokes my heart every single day. She is a poor gentle scary soul who doesn’t get the attention of her family (if we can call them a family). I will never let her alone, nobody deserves this especially in this moment

Like you, I make an effort to check on my neighbors and friends. I live around many seniors and some of them are not taking the quarantine well. I know of two that have passed from COVID-19, but I think the mental health "costs" will be here for years to come. Then, there are the selfish people that don't care about anyone but themselves. My next door neighbor is in her late 20s and she was mandated to stay quarantined. Not only did she NOT do that, she still refuses to wear a mask. It's so frustrating because she just doesn't care and that puts all the rest of us at risk.

I'm thankful that MOST of my neighbors aren't like that and have honored the social distancing and mask wearing. I think it will take those of us who are mature and responsible to lower the spread.

I always try to find some kind of joy and gratitude in each day. Today, you made the list. I am grateful to know someone else who cares. ;-)

Hugs (if hugs are okay).

I have reached the point of acceptance related to staying home almost all the time. Since I am living primarily on savings from good years, I can't afford to go anywhere, anyway.

I wish more people in the US would think in a more long-term perspective. We are so used to having things we want, quickly, and with little effort. I look to my Grandparents for inspiration. They lived through the great depression and WWII. They had to make sacrifices, and they did. My dad was born in 1932, so my grandparents were raising a family during the depression. They lost their house to foreclosure, and lived in a tiny apartment above the gas station that my grandfather managed. Things like "eating out" were impossible for them.

We've gotten soft. We mourn because we can't eat at our favorite restaurants whenever we want. We can't have parties. We have to wear masks, and social distance. Yes, those things suck. But how does this pandemic compare to the Great Depression and WWII?

If my grandparents got through that, surely I can get through this. I have the internet to hang out with my foodie friends in this forum, and watch enless hours of movies and TV shows. My grandparents might have had a radio, to listen to the news, and spoken dramas. We can have restaurant foods delivered to our homes. We have supermarkets full of foods my grandparents couldn't even imagine.

Not trying to shame anybody. Just trying to point out that things could be a lot worse, and in the past, things were a lot worse. Count your blessings more than you mourn your losses.

CD

I was going to ride with a friend. Wasn't going to cost me anything. I'd just have to help with some of the meals thank, God!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Like you, I make an effort to check on my neighbors and friends. I live around many seniors and some of them are not taking the quarantine well. I know of two that have passed from COVID-19, but I think the mental health "costs" will be here for years to come. Then, there are the selfish people that don't care about anyone but themselves. My next door neighbor is in her late 20s and she was mandated to stay quarantined. Not only did she NOT do that, she still refuses to wear a mask. It's so frustrating because she just doesn't care and that puts all the rest of us at risk.

I'm thankful that MOST of my neighbors aren't like that and have honored the social distancing and mask wearing. I think it will take those of us who are mature and responsible to lower the spread.

I always try to find some kind of joy and gratitude in each day. Today, you made the list. I am grateful to know someone else who cares. ;-)

Hugs (if hugs are okay).

Hugs are always ok :hug:

I'm grateful to know someone else who cares about others too,thank you :)

I have reached the point of acceptance related to staying home almost all the time. Since I am living primarily on savings from good years, I can't afford to go anywhere, anyway.

I wish more people in the US would think in a more long-term perspective. We are so used to having things we want, quickly, and with little effort. I look to my Grandparents for inspiration. They lived through the great depression and WWII. They had to make sacrifices, and they did. My dad was born in 1932, so my grandparents were raising a family during the depression. They lost their house to foreclosure, and lived in a tiny apartment above the gas station that my grandfather managed. Things like "eating out" were impossible for them.

We've gotten soft. We mourn because we can't eat at our favorite restaurants whenever we want. We can't have parties. We have to wear masks, and social distance. Yes, those things suck. But how does this pandemic compare to the Great Depression and WWII?

If my grandparents got through that, surely I can get through this. I have the internet to hang out with my foodie friends in this forum, and watch enless hours of movies and TV shows. My grandparents might have had a radio, to listen to the news, and spoken dramas. We can have restaurant foods delivered to our homes. We have supermarkets full of foods my grandparents couldn't even imagine.

Not trying to shame anybody. Just trying to point out that things could be a lot worse, and in the past, things were a lot worse. Count your blessings more than you mourn your losses.

CD

I understand and share your point of view, all very reasonable and damn true. My parents, as well as my grandparents, lived through the Second World War, I have breathed and learned by their example what is fundamental and what is not, but I have also learned to direct things according to my personal needs by following 'my own times'.

However, I think that everyone is son of his time, every generation has to deal with different enemies

I am 47 years old, I am aware of what is important for me and in general, the fact that I do not travel or go out as I usually do it's not the problem, I can manage it of course, but I am not ashamed to say that I miss it and I am sorry for this, even knowing that there are worse things like losing your job, having a precarious health made even more precarious in this moment or being completely alone. What puts me down instead is that I am hanging on by a very thin thread to rebuild a life that is late in coming.

What puts me down instead is that I am hanging on by a very thin thread to rebuild a life that is late in coming.
Keep that hope alive! I have a feeling many, many of us can, at least in a general way, identify with how you're feeling.

I really have only two concerns - loss of income and financial ruin this late in my career/life. Other than that, I'm good. :okay:

Hey, we have to laugh when we can!

Seriously, though...our big, big thing in life has been traveling, and we've done a fair amount, and have detailed plans to do a helluva lot more once we're retired, but even if I've traveled my last, I have good memories, and I'll just pivot to something else to keep me occupied. Survive and adapt, right? That's always been my attitude.

I can tell by the photos you post...you have a talent for looking for and finding the little things that bring joy and purpose, and that's all you need to do right now to keep you going.

Every day, find a funny/happy/joyful little detail, like a rainbow on your wall, a drop of dew on a blade of grass, your shadow stretched by the sun...and grab hold, savor it, and put it in your little happy pocket, where you keep the good things, and when you're feeling a little overwhelmed, pull something out of that pocket and remember that feeling when you found that thing. That'll help you, even just a little.

My little joy today: our Christmas hamper came. That was nice enough, but in looking at the shipping label, I see that it passed through Maidstone, of all places, and that made me think of Morning Glory, and by extension, all the wonderful folks here on the forum. See? A little bit of happy to stick in my pocket for later. :)

We are averaging 55,000 new cases per day, right now, and our President tells us the pandemic is almost over, 80-percent of people who wear masks get the virus, and we should open everything up.
You posted this on October 17th. And, here's the update:
  • 72,000 cases per day over the last 7 days
  • The pandemic is over!
To clarify that second point, here's the White House counting ending the pandemic as an accomplishment. So, it's great that he went from "almost over" to "over" in only 11 days.

I tell you, he's a kick-ass president...meaning I can't wait 'til we kick his ass out of office.

Never count Trump out. His people are already working to game the system. Red states are looking at ways to game the Electoral College, and Trump now has a 6 to 3 majority in the Supreme court. He could lose the popular vote by 20-million votes, and still get a second term. Hillary won by 3-million votes. Al Gore won the popular vote in 2000. Justice (I like beer!) Kavanaugh has already said that the Bush V Gore SCOTUS ruling is a legal precedent.

I won't feel comfortable unless I see Biden take the oath of office on January 20, 2021.

CD

Just what we needed. We take it in turns to do our weekly shop at the local Co-op. It's quite a small store with narrow aisles, but it is well marked with distance and direction signs. Most people appear capable of following the rules, including wearing face coverings.

It was Catherine's turn today. She had the pleasure of queuing at the till behind a coughing and spluttering drunk who wasn't wearing a face covering. He was trying, without success, to buy some cans of rubbish lager. After goodness knows how much faffing about, it appeared he didn't have enough money and eventually left. To compound the felonies, he managed to leave through the wrong door.

Catherine told me, "No way was I going to stand anywhere near him. Then some woman behind me asked if I could move forward a bit. I pointed at the [expletive deleted] in front of me and said, 'If you want to stand near that idiot, go ahead. You can have my place.' The woman looked apologetic and said, 'Sorry, I see what you mean.' Fortunately, the ape departed soon after."

Sigh.

You sound exactly like me. Lol. I can picture the scene. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom