How is the corona virus affecting you?

Some of it is a regional issue. I live in Texas, where Charles Manson could run for President, and win, as long as he ran as a Republican.

There is also the religious factor -- Evangelical Christians, like my family, are willing to overlook Trump's moral failings, as long as he appoints SCOTUS justices, who will reverse Roe V Wade, which made abortion legal. Overruling the ACA (Obamacare) is a bonus. Preventing women from having abortions, then keeping the babies from having health care is what they are all about.

A lot of ideology and emotions go into people's support of Trump. They believe in "alternate facts."

"The last thing was doing the re-opening guidelines, which was interesting, and that in my mind was almost like Trump getting the country back from the doctors, right?" - Jared Kushner, senior White House adviser and son-in-law to Donald Trump.

I don't do ideology. I think. I sometimes have to make compromises, and I am okay with that. I don't expect to get "my way" all the time. Trump supporters do expect to get their way every time -- because they are the REAL Americans.

CD
I find that quite depressing. It must be very challenging for a liberally minded person to live amongst such blind zealotry, especially when family is involved.

This is the part I don't understand. I can understand his appeal to certain sectors of the population, but when otherwise intelligent people get taken in? We had exactly the same situation over Brexit.
In addition to what caseydog mentioned, there are also a lot of people who do not like Trump as a person, agree he's a mess personally, but they agree with the policies of the Republican party, so they voted for Trump with the belief that "the party" would keep him in check. Let him talk about grabbin' 🐱 and excusing White supremacists, in the meantime, other, more serious Republicans would get the real work done behind the scenes.

I find that quite depressing. It must be very challenging for a liberally minded person to live amongst such blind zealotry, especially when family is involved.
We have the same issue here, as both my wife and I are left-of-center, and we live in an area that's hard, hard right (common complaints here are that the Republicans aren't going far enough, we need martial law to root out "the enemy" - meaning liberals - and other things that sound shockingly like a civil war).

Even more so than the weather, it's why MrsT wants to move as soon as we can. We both feel like we have to grin and bear it, so to speak, when we shop in a store or pick up dry cleaning, and someone will make a comment about, "Can you believe how ree-tarded these libruls are? I just heard on the radio that blah, blah, blah conspiracy conspiracy conspiracy..."

I can ignore that stuff better than she can. She can't help but pop off every now and then, but that's how you get your food spit in and your tires slashed around here.

Keep that hope alive! I have a feeling many, many of us can, at least in a general way, identify with how you're feeling.

I really have only two concerns - loss of income and financial ruin this late in my career/life. Other than that, I'm good. :okay:

Hey, we have to laugh when we can!

Seriously, though...our big, big thing in life has been traveling, and we've done a fair amount, and have detailed plans to do a helluva lot more once we're retired, but even if I've traveled my last, I have good memories, and I'll just pivot to something else to keep me occupied. Survive and adapt, right? That's always been my attitude.

I can tell by the photos you post...you have a talent for looking for and finding the little things that bring joy and purpose, and that's all you need to do right now to keep you going.

Every day, find a funny/happy/joyful little detail, like a rainbow on your wall, a drop of dew on a blade of grass, your shadow stretched by the sun...and grab hold, savor it, and put it in your little happy pocket, where you keep the good things, and when you're feeling a little overwhelmed, pull something out of that pocket and remember that feeling when you found that thing. That'll help you, even just a little.

My little joy today: our Christmas hamper came. That was nice enough, but in looking at the shipping label, I see that it passed through Maidstone, of all places, and that made me think of Morning Glory, and by extension, all the wonderful folks here on the forum. See? A little bit of happy to stick in my pocket for later. :)

This touched me! Thank you
I’ve just put this in my pocket 😊

Yep I keep that hope alive, sometimes is a bit hard but I try to stay as much positive as I can. After all I am building something, I have a chance which instead many people don’t have, I take this is in big consideration. I am pragmatic and my goal is only waiting for me, I am in late but hey, better later than never

There is now talk of national lockdown across the UK. Boris doesn't want that to happen but I suspect it might.
It is getting very difficult to find any positives at the moment. He has missed the opportunity of locking down over the school holidays, an act that would have been widely supported as it has been in Wales and Northern Ireland. None of his policies seem to be working, and he has now shifted decisions on local lockdown to local authorities so that he can deflect the blame when they don't work.

Latest research from ICL suggests that covid antibodies don't stay in the body for more than a few months, thus limiting the efficacy of vaccination.

Boots (the pharmacy) have launched a new saliva test service, the results of which are available within minutes. Every expert I have heard has refuted the reliability of these tests, saying that they do not detect asymptomatic covid in its early stages of infection, thus they give false negative results. Boris, meanwhile, has spent £25m on buying up huge quantities of these saliva tests, and is attempting to roll them out to local public health services as part of his 'Operation Moonshot'. Understandably, there has been little enthusiasm from local public health teams, who point out that even if the tests were accurate, they are pretty pointless without a proper track and trace system. The 'world beating' track and trace system we currently have is getting worse, unable even to trace more than 60% of contacts.

I think people in general are getting weary of incompetent leadership and ineffective measures. Without a strictly enforced full national lockdown, and an effective test, track and trace system in place, I don't see how things will not continue to get worse until next spring.

We have the same issue here, as both my wife and I are left-of-center, and we live in an area that's hard, hard right (common complaints here are that the Republicans aren't going far enough, we need martial law to root out "the enemy" - meaning liberals - and other things that sound shockingly like a civil war).

Even more so than the weather, it's why MrsT wants to move as soon as we can. We both feel like we have to grin and bear it, so to speak, when we shop in a store or pick up dry cleaning, and someone will make a comment about, "Can you believe how ree-tarded these libruls are? I just heard on the radio that blah, blah, blah conspiracy conspiracy conspiracy..."

I can ignore that stuff better than she can. She can't help but pop off every now and then, but that's how you get your food spit in and your tires slashed around here.
Wow, that is bad, even before introducing the gun element. Get thee to California, I've heard it's very nice there!

There is now talk of national lockdown across the UK. Boris doesn't want that to happen but I suspect it might.
Closing bit by bit. We went to tier 2 last week and now the whole county will be by tomorrow night. We are predicted to be in tier 3 by next week (though this tier system is a farce!). The virus is affecting people local to us more and more. We know people across the world who have/had it, but it seemed distant until now. People around us are isolating, being diagnosed, etc.

Last edited:
Wow, that is bad, even before introducing the gun element. Get thee to California, I've heard it's very nice there!

To paraphrase Dickens, California is the best of states, and the worst of states. There are some pretty places, and then there are some crapholes like much of LA. I would love to live on the Monterey peninsula, but I don't have a million bucks to buy a run-down little house. California is a very expensive place to live -- except for the places in California that you wouldn't want to live.

CD

My sister has been on Covid-19 swab duty this whole week at the hospital. She's been miserable wearing all the PPE she has to wear. It's hot. It's hard to breath. Patients have heard all kinds of horror stories about how painful it is, even though it really isn't painful, just uncomfortable.

One more day. Then she is off for the weekend, and won't have swab duty for at least six weeks.

CD

We live in Podstrana

• In Split-Dalmatia County (283/280) – from Split 127, Hvar 1, Imotski 15, Kaštela 15, Makarska 4 , Omis 10, Sinj 30, Solin 16, Supetar 2, Trilj 5, Trogir 2, Vis 2, Vrgorac 7, Baska Voda 1, Dugi Rat 3, Dugopolje 3, Hrvace 4, Klisa 2, Marina 2, Muc 1, Okrug 2 , Otok 3, Podbablje 7, Podstrana 9, Postira 1, Prolozac 4, Runovici 2, Zmijavci 2, Cista Provo 1 person. One hundred eight (108) are contacts of previously infected people. There are 73 people in hospitalized at the Split Clinical Hospital, while 7 people are on ventilators. As N1 unofficially found out, about 900 people were tested in the last 24 hours in the county, and about 250 were positive.

Without a strictly enforced full national lockdown, and an effective test, track and trace system in place, I don't see how things will not continue to get worse until next spring.
This is the first time in my life I have had to carry an identity card. As a Labour party member at conference, when a motion was tabled to introduce one via the manifesto for the election. I was one of very few who thought it was a positive move whilst knowing that single point woulds cause us to lose.The British feeling of self entitlement is still massive. Without a national ID card there cannot be an effective track and trace system.

To paraphrase Dickens, California is the best of states, and the worst of states. There are some pretty places, and then there are some crapholes like much of LA. I would love to live on the Monterey peninsula, but I don't have a million bucks to buy a run-down little house. California is a very expensive place to live -- except for the places in California that you wouldn't want to live.

CD
Where would be a preferred state to live in?

Back
Top Bottom