How is the corona virus affecting you?

I prefer to stay out of political discussion, but I couldn't help it this time. Sorry.

No worries. I wasn't particularly aiming the mod comment at you. Its just a general reminder.

Here there is good news again about the Oxford vaccine. It seems that it has the advantage of being cheaper and not needing special storage conditions. This will be good for poorer countries. It may be optimistic but the government seems to think we could be back to some sort of normal life by April. I can live with that. At least its light at the end of the tunnel.

President Donald Trump has formally moved to withdraw the US from the World Health Organization (WHO).
The president had made his intentions clear in late May, accusing the WHO of being under China's control in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
Despite calls from the EU and others, he said he would pull out of the UN agency and redirect funds elsewhere.
He has now notified the UN and Congress of his intentions, although the process could take at least a year.
Stéphane Dujarric, spokesman for the UN secretary-general, confirmed the US had notified it of its withdrawal, effective as of 6 July 2021.
Senator Robert Menendez, the leading Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, also wrote on Twitter: "Congress received notification that POTUS officially withdrew the US from the WHO in the midst of a pandemic.
"It leaves Americans sick and America alone."
What will Biden do Joe Biden’s COVID plan is taking shape — and researchers approve

Anti-vaxxers who are these dxck heads and what motivates them? Personally I think anyone who briefs against a Covid Vaccine should be arrested for treason.
In August, 2020, Facebook deleted a video posted by the US President, Donald J Trump, in which he suggested that children were “almost immune” to SARS-CoV-2, on the grounds that it contained “harmful COVID misinformation”. Twitter suspended Trump's campaign account, which posted the same video.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landig/article/PIIS2589-7500(20)30227-2/fulltext

Last edited by a moderator:
Anti-vaxxers who are these dxck heads and what motivates them?

I know. Its disturbing. I am wondering if we will see more of that in the UK.

Currently it seems that more people in the US are willing to take a vaccine than in September:
  • The latest Gallup polling, done between October 18 and November 1, found that 58% of Americans are now willing to get an FDA-approved coronavirus shot
  • That's up from just 50 percent who wanted to get vaccinated in September.
I can't find current figures for the UK (latest I can find is for September).

The survey by University College London of 70,000 people, which was launched before (the latest) lockdown, found that only half (49%) considered themselves “very likely” to get vaccinated once there is a Covid vaccine and 10% said they were “very unlikely”.
Coronavirus: fifth of people likely to refuse Covid vaccine, UK survey finds

The take-up is not necessarily down to anti vaccine activists alone - for example, some people think the vaccine too rushed and might not be safe or it is not worth them taking it because they are young and fit (selfish!).

I'll be getting mine as soon as its available.....though according to the news reports I probably won't be eligible until spring next year :( Hubby will be in a slightly higher priority group to me and he'll also be getting his as soon as its offered.

We've also agreed that if either of our companies decide to immunise their staff privately (no idea at this stage if this would even be possible) then we'd take that route if it meant we could have the vaccine earlier.

I have no time for anti-vaxxers and usually try not to get into arguments about it because it just makes me angry....unfortunately you can't defeat irrational beliefs with science and logic :(

The take-up is not necessarily down to anti vaccine activists alone - for example, some people think the vaccine too rushed and might not be safe or it is not worth them taking it because they are young and fit (selfish!).
I was reading a very interesting article on the BBC yesterday about vaccine development....which explained that the long development timelines for most vaccines isn't because that's what's needed from a scientific or safety point of view, its mostly down to money and logistics.

Found it: Oxford vaccine: How did they make it so quickly?

What no-one seems to know is how long the vaccine immunity lasts... maybe it will be like the flu jab and offered once a year.
Yes, that's a the great unknown isn't it?
We know people can get it twice, do we know if they can get it 3 times?

There's an interesting result from the Oxford vaccine that it was most effective when trial participants were given a half dose followed by a full dose.
I'm only a lay-person, but it makes me wonder if our bodies need more than one "infection" to remember the response. Something along the lines of the first infection provokes an immune response, but the body doesn't think its important enough to "remember" it for later. But then if we get infected a second time the body then thinks "oh I need to remember this one" and then builds an immunity? Who knows?

There's an interesting result from the Oxford vaccine that it was most effective when trial participants were given a half dose followed by a full dose.
I'm only a lay-person, but it makes me wonder if our bodies need more than one "infection" to remember the response. Something along the lines of the first infection provokes an immune response, but the body doesn't think its important enough to "remember" it for later. But then if we get infected a second time the body then thinks "oh I need to remember this one" and then builds an immunity? Who knows?

I may be wrong - but as I understand it, all were given 2 doses but some only got a half dose first. And it was the latter group which had better results.

I'll be getting mine as soon as its available.....though according to the news reports I probably won't be eligible until spring next year :( Hubby will be in a slightly higher priority group to me and he'll also be getting his as soon as its offered.

We've also agreed that if either of our companies decide to immunise their staff privately (no idea at this stage if this would even be possible) then we'd take that route if it meant we could have the vaccine earlier.

I have no time for anti-vaxxers and usually try not to get into arguments about it because it just makes me angry....unfortunately you can't defeat irrational beliefs with science and logic :(
Andrew Wakefield eventually admitted he was wrong and lied. But he is still a hero to theses cretins. "

The doctor whose study triggered a collapse in public confidence in the combined measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine told a disciplinary panel last week that he made up details of his son’s birthday party—at which he took blood samples from several children—when giving a speech in California.

Andrew Wakefield was one of the authors of the 1998 Lancet paper on inflammatory bowel disease and autism. He is now facing a General Medical Council fitness to practise panel, accused of serious professional misconduct, alongside two other authors of the study, Simon Murch and John Walker-Smith.

Wakefield admits fabricating events when he took children’s blood samples

I have a customer who is an avid anti-vaxxer. I've listened to his rants, and came to the conclusion that he is an idiot.

If somebody doesn't want to get an annual flu shot, fine. But with something like Covid-19, where not getting a vaccine can effect a lot of other people, you need to give your decision a lot more thought.

CD

Of course, it's all very well having a vaccine, but there will be a lot of administrative detail to attend to and who would trust our government to get anything right?

No doubt we'll see yet more cronies and spouses of Tory MPs given "consultancy" roles and rake in a few million quid while public sector staff get a pay freeze.

Sleaze versus freeze. This septic isle in a nutshell.

What no-one seems to know is how long the vaccine immunity lasts... maybe it will be like the flu jab and offered once a year.

My ex-wife was in medical sales, and she sold flu shots to doctor's offices. She made a ton of money from them. The reason you need a new flu shot every year is because the flu virus is always evolving. Last year's flu shot won't work against this years strain of flu. Even if you get a flu shot, there is no guarantee you won't get the flu. The scientists who come up with the annual flu shots are basing the formulas on what the believe to be this year's strains of flu. They generally predict correctly. But, it is not a 100-percent certainty.

More than likely, a Covid-19 vaccine is only going to be good for Covid-19, as it exists now. If enough people get the vaccine, the virus will stop spreading, and fade away. That doesn't mean it can't evolve. But, an updated vaccine should be a lot easier to develop.

CD

More than likely, a Covid-19 vaccine is only going to be good for Covid-19, as it exists now. If enough people get the vaccine, the virus will stop spreading, and fade away. That doesn't mean it can't evolve. But, an updated vaccine should be a lot easier to develop.

That's encouraging. Its going to take a long time though to roll it out world wide. Is there any news about vaccination timetable/programmes in the US? Would it be down to each state or could it be implemented nationally from government?

Of course, it's all very well having a vaccine, but there will be a lot of administrative detail to attend to and who would trust our government to get anything right?

No doubt we'll see yet more cronies and spouses of Tory MPs given "consultancy" roles and rake in a few million quid while public sector staff get a pay freeze.

Sleaze versus freeze. This septic isle in a nutshell.

It goes without saying that some people/companies are going to make a lot of money from Covid-19. People and companies make a lot of money from things like wars. It is the way of the world.

The big challenge is going to be producing enough vaccine, and getting it to people as quickly as possible. That's where governments can either step up and succeed, or screw everything up.

CD

Back
Top Bottom