How is the corona virus affecting you?

That's encouraging. Its going to take a long time though to roll it out world wide. Is there any news about vaccination timetable/programmes in the US? Would it be down to each state or could it be implemented nationally from government?

All I know right now is that there is a prioritization policy in place. First responders will get the vaccine first, followed by the elderly and high-risk people. Then, it will be distributed widely in the US.

CD

More than likely, a Covid-19 vaccine is only going to be good for Covid-19, as it exists now. If enough people get the vaccine, the virus will stop spreading, and fade away. That doesn't mean it can't evolve. But, an updated vaccine should be a lot easier to develop.
According to the BBC article I linked earlier, we're fortunate that this is a coronavirus because they already know how to engineer a vaccine to fight coronaviruses. The system the Oxford vaccine uses is plug and play so they can slot a new virus' genetic code to create a new vaccine relatively quickly. Probably a bit of a simplification, but at least we now have some hope.

All I know right now is that there is a prioritization policy in place. First responders will get the vaccine first, followed by the elderly and high-risk people. Then, it will be distributed widely in the US.

CD
Sounds very similar to what the UK government are supposedly planning....care homes and health workers first, then the elderly and those in at-risk groups, then it'll be rolled out according to age. Of course it remains to be seen how they'll actually manage it.

And of course they don't mention that probably the first people to actually get the vaccine will be the government themselves, their families, friends, hangers-on, major party donors and all the rest of their cronies.

Reactions: mjd
My ex-wife was in medical sales, and she sold flu shots to doctor's offices. She made a ton of money from them. The reason you need a new flu shot every year is because the flu virus is always evolving. Last year's flu shot won't work against this years strain of flu. Even if you get a flu shot, there is no guarantee you won't get the flu. The scientists who come up with the annual flu shots are basing the formulas on what the believe to be this year's strains of flu. They generally predict correctly. But, it is not a 100-percent certainty.

More than likely, a Covid-19 vaccine is only going to be good for Covid-19, as it exists now. If enough people get the vaccine, the virus will stop spreading, and fade away. That doesn't mean it can't evolve. But, an updated vaccine should be a lot easier to develop.

CD

Medical sales is big business. My sister and a sister-in-law made killings when they were in that business.

I never used to get flu shots because it was pointless. My (ex) spouse worked at the airport so we ALWAYS got sick around the holidays. The flu shot is only for strains that we are exposed to locally and does nothing for all the other strains coming through the airports. Like clockwork, all of us were miserable late December/early January.

I hope they figure out the COVID vaccine. Our governor just announced that the elementary schools will close down starting tomorrow and we're seeing a run on toilet paper again. And, let's not even talk about what it's doing to the economy. I wonder how this whole thing will go down in history books.

This year, my wife’s lost an aunt and an uncle to COVID (in nursing homes). Another uncle and his family are also infected. She also works with someone who caught it. Our family doctor caught it, too, but his case is understandable (and he’s fully recovered, though his sense of taste hasn’t fully returned).

I have also just learned that a 26-year-old at a local pharmacy just had a stroke that paralyzed her on one side of her body. No specific word on the cause, but this is something that younger people are having when they have COVID. That one breaks my heart more than other cases I know about. She's always been such a ray of sunshine to people going to the pharmacy. I'm sure she caught it at work.

And, just for bad measure, another of my wife's uncles has stage 4 lung cancer. I've also just found out that a longtime coworker and friend of mine has a brain tumor, and he's taken a leave until at least January.

I'm glad that my immediate family has managed to stay safe, but what's going on in the world is really crushing. I know it won't magically get better once the calendar turns to 2021, but I am very happy to leave this year behind.

This year, my wife’s lost an aunt and an uncle to COVID (in nursing homes). Another uncle and his family are also infected. She also works with someone who caught it. Our family doctor caught it, too, but his case is understandable (and he’s fully recovered, though his sense of taste hasn’t fully returned).

I have also just learned that a 26-year-old at a local pharmacy just had a stroke that paralyzed her on one side of her body. No specific word on the cause, but this is something that younger people are having when they have COVID. That one breaks my heart more than other cases I know about. She's always been such a ray of sunshine to people going to the pharmacy. I'm sure she caught it at work.

And, just for bad measure, another of my wife's uncles has stage 4 lung cancer. I've also just found out that a longtime coworker and friend of mine has a brain tumor, and he's taken a leave until at least January.

I'm glad that my immediate family has managed to stay safe, but what's going on in the world is really crushing. I know it won't magically get better once the calendar turns to 2021, but I am very happy to leave this year behind.

Strange things are happening to people with Covid, even well after they have recovered. It doesn't seem to be very common, but it is happening.

CD

• Sad or Sorry
Reactions: mjd
Sputnik may be the way to go. Russian officials also claimed their vaccine had greater efficacy than the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine because of Russia’s proprietary technology, which it offered to share with British scientists.
eEFcbsHp_normal.jpg
Sputnik V
@sputnikvaccine

Sputnik V is happy to share one of its two human adenoviral vectors with @AstraZeneca to increase the efficacy of AstraZeneca vaccine. Using two different vectors for two vaccine shots will result in higher efficacy than using the same vector for two shots.
Anyone for a Cocktail. I trust the Russian abilities, after all along with the UK( Inside Porton Down, the UK's top secret laboratory, scientists carry out research into chemical weapons and deadly diseases. ) they lead the world biological WMD's
Russia says data on Sputnik Covid vaccine shows 95% efficacy

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it Biden will be more sensible than Trump would have been when it comes to vaccinating these people ?

The numbers of undocumented vary according to the methodology used, and there’s also a lag in the estimates because it takes time for accurate data to become available. The last estimate released by the Office of Immigration Statistics at DHS came in December 2018: As of January 1, 2015, there were 11.96 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S. The most recent Pew Research estimate puts the total number of unauthorized immigrants at 10.5 million in 2017. Overall, this represents a minority of the foreign-born population, which in 2017 numbered 44.5 million—45% of whom are naturalized citizens, and 27% of whom are lawful permanent residents.
While anti-immigrant groups maintain that the flow of illegal immigrants has increased, estimates show that over a longer period the number of undocumented immigrants has declined, from 12.2 million in 2005 to 10.5 million in 2017 according to Pew’s estimates. DHS figures don’t go beyond 2015, but they estimate that the population of undocumented immigrants increased by 70,000 people per year between 2010 and 2015, compared to increases of 470,000 per year between 2000 and 2007.

Source: How many undocumented immigrants are in the United States and who are they?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sputnik may be the way to go. Russian officials also claimed their vaccine had greater efficacy than the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine because of Russia’s proprietary technology, which it offered to share with British scientists.

View attachment 51259
Sputnik V
@sputnikvaccine
Sputnik V is happy to share one of its two human adenoviral vectors with @AstraZeneca to increase the efficacy of AstraZeneca vaccine. Using two different vectors for two vaccine shots will result in higher efficacy than using the same vector for two shots.
Anyone for a Cocktail. I trust the Russian abilities, after all along with the UK( Inside Porton Down, the UK's top secret laboratory, scientists carry out research into chemical weapons and deadly diseases. ) they lead the world biological WMD's
Russia says data on Sputnik Covid vaccine shows 95% efficacy
The Russians have very ably demonstrated their ability to administer highly effective drugs in the UK. Ask Mrs Litvinenko. Or Miss Skripal.

The Russians have very ably demonstrated their ability to administer highly effective drugs in the UK. Ask Mrs Litvinenko. Or Miss Skripal.
Precisely my thoughts Comrade, I'm sending my umbrella to the Kremlin fed/ex with a Boots voucher for £100.Although I do hanker for old technology when an Ice pick was de rigueur

I feel a rant coming on...

Why is it that people can't just wait? Why do some people feel the need to rush off on holidays or crowd onto beaches or into bars just because they can? Why does anyone "need" to have 25 people round their house just because it's Christmas (or whatever other holiday)? Yes, of course it gets pretty tiresome being restricted in what you can do, but some of us have managed to keep going without feeling the need to do any of these things.

Okay, that's it. I feel better now.

My doctor the fabulous Tina has just given me a call. The call was just like a month before the Flu jab was available. She is forming a list of her patients she deem are in the high risk category who will get priority for the Covid vaccine. She wanted to know if I wanted to have the vaccination. She seems to be sure this will take place Christmas week. I of course accepted.

I feel a rant coming on...

Why is it that people can't just wait? Why do some people feel the need to rush off on holidays or crowd onto beaches or into bars just because they can? Why does anyone "need" to have 25 people round their house just because it's Christmas (or whatever other holiday)? Yes, of course it gets pretty tiresome being restricted in what you can do, but some of us have managed to keep going without feeling the need to do any of these things.

I, for one, can and do not.

Back
Top Bottom