How is the corona virus affecting you?

I still don't know if I qualify as "high risk." I know I'm not old enough to get one now. My parents, who are 88 and 86, still don't have an appointment. But, this is Texas, where they can't even keep the power on when it gets cold.

CD
I'm sorry to hear that, that sucks. I hope that they are able to get the vaccine soon with production ramping up and another viable one coming to the market.

I don't have the age, but as a cancer survivor, with one good working lung and being immunocompromised, my docs said I was "high priority", but I am happy to make sure other people more in-need get it. . .especially our front-line workers and vulnerable elderly.

I lost my mom and couldn't be there with her...my father has been in hospital now for coming up on 3 months (not C-19 related) and I can't be there with him. I have to put the house down there on the market after doing reno's remotely for the past 6 months (thank the lord for great friends in all sorts of trades), but have been handling all of that remotely and through video calls and texts, lol.

We postponed our wedding and canceled the honeymoon and regular vacations. I haven't been with my fiance (or anyone for that matter) since March 13th of last year. Fingers crossed for our wedding in 2022 and then resuming our travels. First world problems, I know.

I'm just being selfish in my biting at the bit to get it. I feel like once I get it, I will STILL be cautious but will at least be able to get down to my father and check on him (he's been vaccinated), put eyes on things that I haven't in a year and then MAYBE start moving back towards whatever the new normal will be.

COVID has been a real kick in the pants. I still have a lot to be grateful for, and haven't lost as much as many others, but what a strange experience to be living through. Like I've said, I know we'll get through it, I'm just tired of going through it. IT would be a LOT different if there was a metric to compare it to, but this is all virgin territory for us.

I don't have the age, but as a cancer survivor, with one good working lung and being immunocompromised, my docs said I was "high priority", but I am happy to make sure other people more in-need get it. . .especially our front-line workers and vulnerable elderly.

I really think you should get the vaccine ASAP if you only have one good working lung. Luckily here there isn't an issue with the vaccine roll-out and priorities. In fact, we're ahead of scheduled. I had first jab 3 weeks ago now (earlier than I expected).

I really think you should get the vaccine ASAP if you only have one good working lung. Luckily here there isn't an issue with the vaccine roll-out and priorities. In fact, we're ahead of scheduled. I had first jab 3 weeks ago now (earlier than I expected).
Yeah, the roll out here has been less than efficient. My docs told me very early on that if I were to contract the virus "it wouldn't go well". So self isolation has been the name of the game. I do try to get out for photography as I can do that socially distanced, especially with the drone. I've physically been to my office twice in the last year (thank G*d I have a job still). But I've been diligent about stay safe. Knock on wood, so far, so good. Fortunatly, my people understand my challenges and support these decisions.

If they taught Amazon drivers how to do the shot, we'd be much further along by now.

We’re going out to eat now, so we get to play everyone’s favorite pandemic game:

HOW MANY MASKS?

This is the exciting game where I try to guess how many people other than us will be wearing masks. I set the over/under at 3, and bet the Under, meaning I think less than 3 people (including restaurant staff) will be wearing masks.

And....I win! Which means I lose: literally no one (but me and my family) was wearing a mask. And I thought climate deniers were nuts.

We’re going out to eat now, so we get to play everyone’s favorite pandemic game:

HOW MANY MASKS?

This is the exciting game where I try to guess how many people other than us will be wearing masks. I set the over/under at 3, and bet the Under, meaning I think less than 3 people (including restaurant staff) will be wearing masks.

And....I win! Which means I lose: literally no one (but me and my family) was wearing a mask. And I thought climate deniers were nuts.

I found another game...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5rXK8HCL1Y&list=PLS_gQd8UB-hIXMBMyekcUbQwOCf7dFym8

From SNL last night.

CD

All the evidence in Britain is showing that there is a much lower take-up of the vaccine for people from ethnic minority backgrounds. One of the bitter ironies at work here is that the highest profile anti-vaxxers and Covid sceptics are white, upper-middle class men. The very same type of person, in other words, who isn't likely to be favourable towards ethnic minorities. I am not suggesting any kind of conspiracy theory, but the whole situation leaves me feeling uneasy. There are enough people trying to stir up hatred and bigotry in this country and I fear this will be another "excuse" for those who cannot live without bigotry.

Lombardy is on a new restriction started today. Again. I am not at all surprised, far from it. I have continued to see people who thought they were smarter, above anything, assembling in groups like not even the end-of-season sales. Wearing a mask? Oh come on, it's starting to get hot now.
Just a short while ago, I received news of another bereavement. Dying alone, without the affection of loved ones.

All the evidence in Britain is showing that there is a much lower take-up of the vaccine for people from ethnic minority backgrounds. One of the bitter ironies at work here is that the highest profile anti-vaxxers and Covid sceptics are white, upper-middle class men. The very same type of person, in other words, who isn't likely to be favourable towards ethnic minorities. I am not suggesting any kind of conspiracy theory, but the whole situation leaves me feeling uneasy. There are enough people trying to stir up hatred and bigotry in this country and I fear this will be another "excuse" for those who cannot live without bigotry.
Don't be shy about mentioning conspiracy theories. The disinformation about the vaccine not being Halal is an example of very specific targeting.

Anyway, good news time. Here in Britain over 20 million have had their first dose and there are reserves of vaccine to ensure they all get their second dose whilst the rate of people getting their first dose will continue at its current level.
The first robust analysis of the vaccines effectiveness are published and both the Pfizer and Astra Zenica are reducing hospital admissions in the over 80s by 80+%. Also, the number of over 70s needing to be moved to intensive care beds is down to single figures per day (below the numbers you would normally expect from flu).

Remarkable stuff.

More background:

New data show vaccines reduce severe COVID-19 in older adults

Covid vaccines cut risk of serious illness by 80%

Tim Martin, the utterly tiresome Brexit fanatic who runs Wetherspoon's, is demanding the reopening of all pubs "to save jobs."

Let's see if we can come up with a bit of snappy PR. "Save jobs, kill customers." Hmm. Not sure about this one.
The big reason for the shut downs out here were the hospitals are full. They can't handle more people getting sick.

Back
Top Bottom