How is the corona virus affecting you?

The reason that the goal posts keep moving is because the virus keeps changing. All viruses do that, if given the time. Given that, scientists have to constantly react to new data, and adjust their advice accordingly.

As a result, a lot of people assume that the scientists don't know what they are doing, when the truth is, they are doing what scientists are supposed to do -- observe and adapt.

CD
I know that scientists know what there doing and that this virus will do what virus's have done from the time of primordial ooze.

Traveling internationally, we were required to have a vaccination card showing that we are fully vaccinated. In addition, different countries have different rules regarding getting a negative COVID test (some need it within 24 hours of travel, and others require it within 72 hours).

Unfortunately, communication about the rules has been terrible. You’d think there would be big signs and reminders everywhere about the rules, but I haven’t seen a single one (not even an “oh by the way” note on ticket confirmations).

I’m glad that we just happened to hear about it, so we were prepared. But, imagine the shock of a traveler who had a vaccine card and thought they were okay, only to find out they can’t board their flight home because they didn’t also have a negative COVID test. The Athens airport has a testing facility, but the Belize airport didn’t.

Traveling internationally, we were required to have a vaccination card showing that we are fully vaccinated. In addition, different countries have different rules regarding getting a negative COVID test (some need it within 24 hours of travel, and others require it within 72 hours).

Unfortunately, communication about the rules has been terrible. You’d think there would be big signs and reminders everywhere about the rules, but I haven’t seen a single one (not even an “oh by the way” note on ticket confirmations).

I’m glad that we just happened to hear about it, so we were prepared. But, imagine the shock of a traveler who had a vaccine card and thought they were okay, only to find out they can’t board their flight home because they didn’t also have a negative COVID test. The Athens airport has a testing facility, but the Belize airport didn’t.
UK travel operators are very clear about the requirements and are very supportive. Our visit to Greece in three weeks time was booked through Tui, and they are very clear on their website about your obligations and are selling appropriate testing packages to their customers at well below the open market price. I can't understand why any airline or travel agent wouldn't make sure that all information and support is available, it just makes good business sense to ensure that your customers feel as secure as possible.

UK travel operators are very clear about the requirements and are very supportive. Our visit to Greece in three weeks time was booked through Tui, and they are very clear on their website about your obligations and are selling appropriate testing packages to their customers at well below the open market price. I can't understand why any airline or travel agent wouldn't make sure that all information and support is available, it just makes good business sense to ensure that your customers feel as secure as possible.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, most people book their own travel online. I haven't used a travel agent in over 20 years (sorry Mrs. Tasty). Some use online booking services, that should alert people, but I don't know if they do.

CD

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, most people book their own travel online. I haven't used a travel agent in over 20 years (sorry Mrs. Tasty). Some use online booking services, that should alert people, but I don't know if they do.

CD
I don't think I've ever booked a holiday through a travel agent, we always book ourselves. Nevertheless, all the transport provider websites are very clear about what rules you need to follow. Eurotunnel (pretty much the only thing we actually book these days) even provides links to the relevant French and British government websites so you can see the actual rules (and not just an interpretation of them).

I've not spent any time browsing airlines' websites, but after a quick look at both BA and Ryanair shows banners with links to Covid 19 travel requirements, I suspect most other airlines are the same. And to be honest I can't see how anyone can travel internationally at the moment and not realise that they need to check carefully for extra rules and regulations. Its a pain, but its the price we have to pay if we want to travel during a pandemic.

CD
Ours was booked online, and as MrsDangermouse said, all the information you need is clearly signposted on the sites.

Hubby is now on 7 days stay at home order simply because he works on Canberra (capital of Australia). There have been a handful (unconfirmed 7 as of this afternoon) of cases since Thursday. So anyone in ACT (Australian capital territory) and anyone who has been in Canberra from 5th August onwards must now stay home and only leave for the standard 5 reasons. Ironically both of us can still enter ACT legally to go grocery shopping or for medical reasons though or essential work but he can't go to the tip with me 6km away which is outdoors, no buildings etc, Canberra is +60km away. Go figure. nor in theory can he leave the house (ok, I'll be honest, on a 2,500 acres sheep farm, we ignore that directive. Our first problem would be finding someone to actually need to distance from.)

This is the equivalent of a handful of cases in Washington DC or London and them closing Washington DC and surrounding states down... or a handful of cases and all of London, Essex, Sussex, Surrey, Berkshire and so on being closed down.

But I'm not affected by it despite sleeping in the same bed as him because I've not been into Canberra since the 3rd. This is the bit I really don't get.

Hubby is now on 7 days stay at home order simply because he works on Canberra (capital of Australia). There have been a handful (unconfirmed 7 as of this afternoon) of cases since Thursday. So anyone in ACT (Australian capital territory) and anyone who has been in Canberra from 5th August onwards must now stay home and only leave for the standard 5 reasons. Ironically both of us can still enter ACT legally to go grocery shopping or for medical reasons though or essential work but he can't go to the tip with me 6km away which is outdoors, no buildings etc, Canberra is +60km away. Go figure. nor in theory can he leave the house (ok, I'll be honest, on a 2,500 acres sheep farm, we ignore that directive. Our first problem would be finding someone to actually need to distance from.)

This is the equivalent of a handful of cases in Washington DC or London and them closing Washington DC and surrounding states down... or a handful of cases and all of London, Essex, Sussex, Surrey, Berkshire and so on being closed down.

But I'm not affected by it despite sleeping in the same bed as him because I've not been into Canberra since the 3rd. This is the bit I really don't get.
I'm sure they're just following the science.

That is one extreme, but it is better than the other, as we are experiencing in Texas. Record high numbers of new Covid cases, running out of hospital ICU beds, nurses having meltdowns from stress and walking off the job... and NO restrictions. Zero. In fact, local restrictions are forbidden by the State of Texas.

CD

This just in. Texas Senator Ted Cruz is supporting legislation banning mask mandates on a national level. But, seems Cancun Cruz* forgot to mention that his own children go to an expensive private school in Houston that requires masks be used by ALL students and staff on campus (private schools are exempt from Texas no-mask mandates). I guess as long as his kids are safe, screw everyone else.

CD

* Ted Cruz is the Senator who flew to Cancun during the "Big Freeze" in February that crippled the State of Texas. When the going gets tough, the tough get going -- to a beach resort in Southern Mexico.

That is one extreme, but it is better than the other, as we are experiencing in Texas. Record high numbers of new Covid cases, running out of hospital ICU beds, nurses having meltdowns from stress and walking off the job... and NO restrictions. Zero. In fact, local restrictions are forbidden by the State of Texas.

CD

What I find enormously ironic, is that they say it is their rights to not wear a mask, but somehow it's not against a businesses rights to require a mask be worn. I mean, no shirt, no shoes, no service right? But a mask is a bridge too far? I thought the GQP was all for business rights? Then to turn around and ask for federal assistance, ugh. I feel like we're in bizzaro world.

The irony is so rich it just got a tax cut.

Speaking of that, I think all tax dollars should go towards building a giant tent around the country so the rest of the world can really see the clown show circus this place really is right now.

What I find enormously ironic, is that they say it is their rights to not wear a mask, but somehow it's not against a businesses rights to require a mask be worn. I mean, no shirt, no shoes, no service right? But a mask is a bridge too far? I thought the GQP was all for business rights? Then to turn around and ask for federal assistance, ugh. I feel like we're in bizzaro world.

The private business rules are murky in Texas. A shop or restaurant can require masks of customers and staff. Same for private schools. Employers can (for now) require masks, but NOT vaccines for their employees (who are vaccine eligible).

CD

Back
Top Bottom