How is the corona virus affecting you?

Who is saying people are contacting the Delta variant?

"Delta is currently the predominant strain of the virus in the United States." -- CDC

"As of July 22, nearly 80% of UC Davis Health patients who tested positive for COVID-19 had the Delta variant." -- University of California, Davis

"The first Delta case was identified in December 2020, and the variant soon became the predominant strain of the virus in both India and then Great Britain. By the end of July, Delta was the cause of more than 80% of new U.S. COVID-19 cases, according to CDC estimates." -- Yale University School of Medicine

CD

PCR test which is now being withdrawn by the CDC cannot differentiate the Delta variant neither can the existing antigen test.

Who is saying people are contacting the Delta variant? It's only detectable via a blood draw and sending it to a laboratory. Because of that the sample sizes are so inexplicably small it isn't reasonable or scientifically correct to say people are being infected by this Delta variant.
In the UK a percentage of positive test samples are sent for complete analysis, and all now are returning as Delta. These results are statistically significant and reliable as far as my country is concerned.

Mod Note:-

We've received a number of reports regarding the politics entering into this discussion. Can I please remind everyone participating on CB, in particular this thread, that politics, religion, sexism, racism and all the other isms are not wanted and will not be tolerated on this site.

Post will be deleted or edited where they do not meet our Terms and rules.

Repeat offenders will find themselves banned from this thread.

Also note that if you don't wish to read this thread but follow all new posts on the site, you can ignore this thread( https://www.cookingbites.com/tic-ignore/ignore?content_type=thread&content_id=17901 ) and it should not show in the all new posts.

You guys are not going to believe this. I am now working in a lab facility that processes pathology samples. Yesterday, we all noticed that 1 of the pathologists was coughing, hacking cough, looked really bad, obviously felt really bad, but she came to work and proceeded to work nearly the full day going about her business as normal. She was masked but we all are as we are required to wear one. Toward the end of the day, she mentioned to 1 of my coworkers that she thought she was going to leave early and go get a covid test. She didn't come in today.

You guys are not going to believe this. I am now working in a lab facility that processes pathology samples. Yesterday, we all noticed that 1 of the pathologists was coughing, hacking cough, looked really bad, obviously felt really bad, but she came to work and proceeded to work nearly the full day going about her business as normal. She was masked but we all are as we are required to wear one. Toward the end of the day, she mentioned to 1 of my coworkers that she thought she was going to leave early and go get a covid test. She didn't come in today.
It is amazing that some people don't get it. We had one woman who turned up late for work, and apologised that she couldn't make it on time because she was taking her son for a covid test. :rolleyes:

We've received a number of reports regarding the politics entering into this discussion. Can I please remind everyone participating on CB, in particular this thread, that politics, religion, sexism, racism and all the other isms are not wanted and will not be tolerated on this site.

Also note that if you don't wish to read this thread but follow all new posts on the site, you can ignore this thread( https://www.cookingbites.com/tic-ignore/ignore?content_type=thread&content_id=17901 ) and it should not show in the all new posts.

View attachment 69693

I completely understand the Forum policy on politics, but in the USA, you can't separate the surge in Covid cases from politics. It is central to the reason Covid is surging to record highs in Texas, Florida and other Southern US states.

But, it is your forum. I'll abide.

CD

The US is giving millions of doses to poorer countries. We have a surplus, thanks to the morons who refuse to get vaccinated here.

The vaccines, and the boosters, will work well enough to keep you alive, even with mutations. Vaccinated people are contracting Delta, but not going to the hospital -- or dying.

CD
Yes, they will when you're otherwise healthy. Research is still being done about whether that is true for those who are immunocompromised too. I assume so, but it's not a 100% sure yet.

PCR test which is now being withdrawn by the CDC cannot differentiate the Delta variant neither can the existing antigen test.

Who is saying people are contacting the Delta variant? It's only detectable via a blood draw and sending it to a laboratory. Because of that the sample sizes are so inexplicably small it isn't reasonable or scientifically correct to say people are being infected by this Delta variant.
I'm sorry but that's just not true.
PCR tests absolutely can detect the variants....otherwise how would we know about them? The vast majority of lab testing and gene sequencing is done from PCR tests, very little is done from blood samples.

It didn't take me long to check, and it seems the real reason the CDC wants to move away from PCR tests is because they want to move to a newer types of tests, some of which can also detect flu viruses at the same time. Which seems like a good idea to me.

If you read up or watch the Australian news, the statistics speak for themselves here. I'm in the worst affected state along with a couple of other members. That's New South Wales. Sydney is bad in Australian terms. And it is the Delta variant that is spreading here. It is always stated if we are dealing with the alpha, Kappa or Delta variant. Every day the figures are divided by age group and by vaccinated, single vaccination shot or not vaccinated. Almost all of those in hospital are not vaccinated. Almost all of those dying are not vaccinated. Just occasionally there is an anomaly where someone with serious underlying health issues but who is doubly vaccinated dies from the Delta variant. It's the Delta variant that is rampant here, and it's affecting the unvaccinated the worst which is why schools, playgrounds and childcare are all closed. In one state 20% of all infections are in the under 10's.

Editted to update the name I'd forgotten
I don't watch the news. I only read scientific literature. And I notice the majority of my post was deleted.

I'm sorry but that's just not true.
PCR tests absolutely can detect the variants....otherwise how would we know about them? The vast majority of lab testing and gene sequencing is done from PCR tests, very little is done from blood samples.

It didn't take me long to check, and it seems the real reason the CDC wants to move away from PCR tests is because they want to move to a newer types of tests, some of which can also detect flu viruses at the same time. Which seems like a good idea to me.
Where's your evidence to prove that the existing PC or an antigen test can identify the Delta variant?

View attachment 69693
Politics entering the discussion or science that people disagree with entering discussion?

I only post facts never opinions.
Lab Alert: Changes to CDC RT-PCR for SARS-CoV-2 Testing

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's your evidence to prove that the existing PC or an antigen test can identify the Delta variant?
OK maybe I wasn't totally clear/accurate in my previous post....I was trying to say that a PCR-based testing system can identify the variants. Your post said that drawing blood is the only way to detect the variants - which is not true.

The PCR test itself only detects the presence (or not) of the virus. If it is positive, the sample can be sent for gene sequencing to identify the variant. PCR testing has been around for decades and can be used to test for many viruses, but science moves on as it discovers new things, and the CDC want labs to start using newer testing methods. It doesn't necessarily mean the old ways are no longer valid, just that there are now better or more efficient ways.

OK maybe I wasn't totally clear/accurate in my previous post....I was trying to say that a PCR-based testing system can identify the variants. Your post said that drawing blood is the only way to detect the variants - which is not true.

The PCR test itself only detects the presence (or not) of the virus. If it is positive, the sample can be sent for gene sequencing to identify the variant. PCR testing has been around for decades and can be used to test for many viruses, but science moves on as it discovers new things, and the CDC want labs to start using newer testing methods. It doesn't necessarily mean the old ways are no longer valid, just that there are now better or more efficient ways.
A viral test, either the nose or throat swab, can detect if you are positive for COVID-19. It's not designed to tell you which variant you might be infected with, according to Human and Health Services of Texas.

Back
Top Bottom