How is the corona virus affecting you?

My brother just let us know he has covid. He’s really upset, as he’s careful to the point of being paranoid, and because of other health issues (liver & kidney), he can’t take Paxlovid, so he’s got to ride it out.

He’s also our parents’ main caregiver, but this morning, when he told us, he said, “I’m not going to be able to get out to see Mom or Dad for a few days. I’m sure going to miss Red.”

Red is their dog. My brother loves dogs more than he loves people.
Fingers crossed for him to get out of this OK! 🙏

Fingers crossed for him to get out of this OK! 🙏
The strange (though I suppose understandable) thing is that he’s just so angry about it. He’s hopping mad, because he’s careful beyond reason (not only does he wear a mask when he goes out, he wears gloves as well), and here he got it, and being where he lives, there are a lot of anti-vaxxers/hoax believers, and many of the ones he knows haven’t had it (or have had it and were asymptomatic).

The strange (though I suppose understandable) thing is that he’s just so angry about it. He’s hopping mad, because he’s careful beyond reason (not only does he wear a mask when he goes out, he wears gloves as well), and here he got it, and being where he lives, there are a lot of anti-vaxxers/hoax believers, and many of the ones he knows haven’t had it (or have had it and were asymptomatic).
Expectations based on promises. I understand his frustration.

I completely get that. I was pretty upset when I was isolating so carefully and hubby went out to do errands a few times and wasn't careful, then brought it home to me. Frustrating after spending a good deal of time trying to avoid that.

I can understand the let down when you're trying so hard all this time, and probably deep down he's just afraid. A lot of people cover fear with anger.

I can understand the let down when you're trying so hard all this time, and probably deep down he's just afraid. A lot of people cover fear with anger.
Yeah, you’re probably right. He’s got some pretty serious health issues with his stomach, liver, and kidneys, so he’s been hyper-vigilant through all of this.

Yeah, you’re probably right. He’s got some pretty serious health issues with his stomach, liver, and kidneys, so he’s been hyper-vigilant through all of this.
Well that makes it even more relatable, it is irrational to be angry at antivaxxers because you got COVID but at the same time the other option is to be angry at a virus attacking you. I think he just needs to vent, and is just very afraid about how it might affect him.

We're just back from the middle east, we were in Cyprus. We stayed at the Alion hotel, which we rarely left except for trips to the shops for sweets and to the pharmacy for potions. You'd see a few masks, but the hotel was generally mask-free.
Back in Zürich, it is mask free too, except for in the doctor's office. I picked up a nasty inner ear problem, treated with anti-biotics in Cyprus and steroids back home.

My brother is still testing positive (no surprise, since he first tested positive less than a week ago).

It’s driving him crazy. He lives on a small homestead (chickens, bees, lots of mowing and maintenance), and they’ve just sold it, so he’s got a lot of work to do around the place, and his wife is out of state visiting her family.

He’s the type who has to always be doing something, lots of nervous energy, but every time he tries to mow or paint or repair something, he gets lightheaded and almost passes out. Being idle is affecting him worse than covid.

I'm masking again in hospital. It's not required but I can't have COVID on top of my other lung issues.
Here it is mandatory in hospitals (and medical grade masks are issued free). At doctors, physios, medical imagining and so on, they are mandatory (any mask).

I still wear one indoors in public period. Like you my lung problems are such that I can't afford catching it. I barely survived double pneumonia 5 years ago despite being fully vaccinated against pneumonia (12 days in ICU, 2 months in hospital). I don't fancy my chances much with covid.

We also have a mandatory hands washing the moment we get home as well as using toilets at doctors/physio/hospital. I can't use hand santisers, they trigger my asthma.

Here it is mandatory in hospitals (and medical grade masks are issued free). At doctors, physios, medical imagining and so on, they are mandatory (any mask).

I still wear one indoors in public period. Like you my lung problems are such that I can't afford catching it. I barely survived double pneumonia 5 years ago despite being fully vaccinated against pneumonia (12 days in ICU, 2 months in hospital). I don't fancy my chances much with covid.

We also have a mandatory hands washing the moment we get home as well as using toilets at doctors/physio/hospital. I can't use hand santisers, they trigger my asthma.
That's great! Here even doctors don't mask if it's not mandatory. Nobody does. But like I said, the Dutch are very lax with these things in general.

Back
Top Bottom