How is the corona virus affecting you?

Wow - that´s really young to be condemned like that.

Even more sad, it was probably self-inflicted. He was an anti-vaxxer.

My best friend and his wife are anti-vaxxers. They both recently got covid, but it looks like they got lucky. It was like a case of the flu for them.

CD

Wow - that´s really young to be condemned like that.
Along with it, he was apparently under anesthesia for a bit during all this, and he’s suffering from what seems to be the all-too-common post-anesthesia psychosis. He’s been somewhat abusive and violent with the staff and his family, and he’s having trouble recognizing who certain people are (like some of his kids).

I took another Covid test today, just in case (since my son is still positive). Negative. Still with severe congestion and almost no sense of smell/taste. Makes eating a bit boring, to be honest, but hey - you gotta eat to live!

And so start the fun and games. Hubby got home from work last night "annoyed"* that as health and safety officer he hadn't been told until he was driving up our driveway (on Monday night), that a significant number of staff at the parent company that now owns the company he works for, have gone down with Covid. The do was on Thursday night, so I guess those who went down with it on Friday or Saturday were probably exposed elsewhere but most were going down with it Sunday and Monday so likely exposed at the Christmas party. (One of the wait staff didn't look to well to me, so we stayed well clear of them given they were only walking around with alcohol and meat/cheese stuff, none of which we are interested in.

I had a sore throat by the end of yesterday** and that usually leaves me feeling unwell, so I tested this morning and bailed on going to the last knitting of the year, even though it was negative.

The ladies at knitting are all much older than me, so I really didn't want to risk their lives (one is well into her 90's and another is only recently out of hospital after an emergency admission lasting 2 months. ) so it's a watch this space for both of us, because the last Australian booster was our winter (1st June for me & middle of July for him). Which means if I do go down with it we'll have to cancel our plans to go away yet again. We had to cancel the very same thing last year because of covid.

Anyone come across RAT tests that use an ultraviolet light to read the result? That surprised me this morning, but the brand has an exceptionally low false negative rate which was why I bought them originally.

*I can't really repeat what he said....
** I've put this down to 300km of singing to JD yesterday. I lost my voice totally 7 years ago and most of it didn't return, so singing and humming are good for exercising the cords but they don't appreciate it afterwards! singing it sounds so bad i don't sing when others are around.

I just got back from an amazing cruise to Alaska. Besides souvenirs, we also brought COVID-19 back with us. My family and I had a video doctor appointment yesterday, and the doctor prescribed Paxlovid to all of us. The good news is that it's helping, slowly but surely. The bad news is that the doctor said that he's starting to see a spike in COVID cases lately.

When I returned to work (which I do from home), I learned that a coworker of mine also has it, and another caught it a month ago...when she want on a cruise.

My son had to check several different pharmacies to find COVID tests. Likewise, masks used to be readily available anywhere, and those are also out of stock in some places.

This is going to be bad, folks. Start getting your tests and masks now so you're ready. I'll be surprised if there isn't some form of restriction for businesses as we go through the fall and winter months.

I just got back from an amazing cruise to Alaska. Besides souvenirs, we also brought COVID-19 back with us. My family and I had a video doctor appointment yesterday, and the doctor prescribed Paxlovid to all of us. The good news is that it's helping, slowly but surely. The bad news is that the doctor said that he's starting to see a spike in COVID cases lately.

When I returned to work (which I do from home), I learned that a coworker of mine also has it, and another caught it a month ago...when she want on a cruise.

My son had to check several different pharmacies to find COVID tests. Likewise, masks used to be readily available anywhere, and those are also out of stock in some places.

This is going to be bad, folks. Start getting your tests and masks now so you're ready. I'll be surprised if there isn't some form of restriction for businesses as we go through the fall and winter months.
UK hospitals are talking about a return to compulsary mask wearing, and the winter booster programme for vunerable people has been brought forward by a month. We will see.

First Lady Jill Biden tested positive for Covid a few weeks ago.

The new surge in Covid cases is a new variant. The good news is that it doesn't seem to be as deadly, and that anyone who has either had Covid before, or has gotten all the vaccines has some amount of protection -- our immune systems recognize the new variant as Covid, even though it is a new variant.

Cruise ships are well known to be places where viruses can spread more easily than in the general population. I'm not surprised that they are showing the early signs of a new surge.

I'm not too concerned, although people with compromised immune systems should probably start masking. The newest Covid booster is due out in a few weeks, I believe.

The bad news is that, as predicted by scientists, Covid is not going away. Like the flu, we are going to have to deal with it every year, as we do with the flue.

CD

My dad is very ill and was put on a ward with a case if covid. I was warned of the risk when visiting him, but as he is close to end of life I wanted to see him. My mum was in hospital herself and wanted me to visit him at her risk too. Of course he got covid. Now I do. I'm looking after my mum since she has been out of hospital, but thankfully she's symptom free and testing negative. So is my wonderful husband who has been visiting my dad and video calling us.

My dad is very ill and was put on a ward with a case if covid. I was warned of the risk when visiting him, but as he is close to end of life I wanted to see him. My mum was in hospital herself and wanted me to visit him at her risk too. Of course he got covid. Now I do. I'm looking after my mum since she has been out of hospital, but thankfully she's symptom free and testing negative. So is my wonderful husband who has been visiting my dad and video calling us.

I'm really sorry to hear this.

One of the problems with Covid in the UK is that everything went quiet around Spring this year. The booster was rolled out to those over 75 or with compromised immune systems at the beginning of the year and I was expecting the next round of boosters which would include my age group to follow. Indeed, this was what was announced previously. Instead the government decided not to do that so there are a lot of people who were not given the opportunity of a booster. Meanwhile, Covid cases including the new variant started to rise through Spring and Summer.

I believe (although I've had no firm confirmation) that my age group will be offered the booster in the Autumn.

Back
Top Bottom