How is the corona virus affecting you?

The latest piece of government lunacy was yesterday announced by Home Secretary, Pritti Vacant. From 8th June (and not before, because that wouldn't be appropriate) anyone entering the UK will be subject to a 14 day quarantine. Unless you are a lorry driver, because as everyone knows, they are immune. Or unless you are coming from Ireland, because, well just because. Eight weeks ago, I could have flown in (as thousands did) from covid ravaged China, Italy or Iran without any control whatsoever. Now, when the rest of the world (possibly excepting the US and Brasil) has pretty much eradicated the coved virus, it is deemed necessary to quarantine them. This seems to imply that, assuming international travel is opened up again (otherwise, what is the point), on our return from Cyprus at the end of September, we will have to stay at home for two weeks. I can cope with that, but I can't see my wife's employers being too happy with her taking 5 weeks off work. If we cancelled the holiday, we would not get a refund. Cyprus has only had around 900 cases and 20 deaths, compared with an estimated 60000 deaths in the UK.

The latest piece of government lunacy was yesterday announced by Home Secretary, Pritti Vacant. From 8th June (and not before, because that wouldn't be appropriate) anyone entering the UK will be subject to a 14 day quarantine.

Oh - but they have to travel back to where they live to quarantine, so they can go on the underground, trains, buses or taxis to get there.

Oh - but they have to travel back to where they live to quarantine, so they can go on the underground, trains, buses or taxis to get there.
Yes, I'd only just picked up on that. So I can fly into Heathrow, remove my face mask, take a train into the city, two changes of tube to get to Euston station, a train up to Shrewsbury, probably changing at Birmingham, and then a local bus to home. Then stay in for two weeks in case I infect someone. I can't say I'm proud to be British at the moment.

I am due to spend three days in a town in Germany that has only had six recorded cases of Covid and none for four weeks, I am required to wear a mask in public, similarly with the addition of gloves at the factory I will be visiting. So I will be a bigger risk to them than they all are to me.
This two week quarantine is utterly unworkable and effectively kills the UK tourist and airline industries. The cynical me thinks that this is actually just a Brexit negotiating ploy to deny the EU any British tourists this year, and once Barnier has made the concession that Boris wants then isolating UK tourists travelling to the Med will suddenly become unnecessary.
The actions of Cummings removes any small amount of credibility that Government instructions on staying home ever had, the whole strategy is falling apart.

Ciao a tutti,

Please accept apology for stay away for so long. It has been difficult times for the family. I hope every one OK. Ray is back working with his men they start on barn conversion last week. We hope we can go Napoli soon. I have read today and I think I have miss a lot here.
I want thank members who send me kind words for support it means a lot Grazie.

Sarana x

Ciao a tutti,

Please accept apology for stay away for so long. It has been difficult times for the family. I hope every one OK. Ray is back working with his men they start on barn conversion last week. We hope we can go Napoli soon. I have read today and I think I have miss a lot here.
I want thank members who send me kind words for support it means a lot Grazie.

Sarana x
Welcome back Sarana, glad you are OK.

Back
Top Bottom