How is the corona virus affecting you?

Waiting for some bad news to be broadcast locally. Sounds as though we might be going in to lockdown again. We've had a sudden spike which is a shame as we've handled the virus remarkably well up to now. I strongly suspect it was due to allowing all the students to return home at Christmas.

I think what's frustrating here as much as anything is that access to the vaccine is so random. In my county, very little information at all, in the next county over (where the rest of my family lives), they're registering everyone, and as soon as a person becomes eligible (and there's a vaccine), they get a call back.

I see news stories on TV of seniors in one state waiting in line overnight, but in another state, all you need to do is walk in at the local drug store, and if they've got it, you can get it.

We're struggling to even get good information, and my wife's sister, in another state, just walked into her local clinic and got the shot, no appointment, no registering - and she's not in a high-risk group at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

They did report last night that CVS and Walgreens (the two biggest drug/chemist chains in the US) are gearing up to offer vaccines nationwide, so hopefully, that makes things a bit easier.

I'm really tired of seeing people around me acting like hypocrites, blaming everyone for not following the lockdown rules when they don't follow them themselves. Since the lockdown started, my colleagues and friends have left the house to drop the baby at grandparents because they can't work with a baby in the house, their father came to their house to deliver groceries, they met their boyfriend on the way to work, they went out to get coffee cause they don't like having their coffee at home. These are the same people who talk poorly of the people who are out on the street apparently breaking lockdown rules, in their minds these people are the reason we are in this situation and the number of deaths and new infections keeps growing. Doesn't even cross their minds that these people may be on their way to dropping the baby at grandparents, deliver groceries to their children, meet their boyfriend on their way to work...breaking lockdown rules the same way they do. It's not that people break lockdown rules, I'm no longer shocked with that, I just can't stand this mentality that they can do whatever they want but others cannot, why don't they just admit and accept that they know what they should do but they don't want to, they're no better than others and others are no better than them!

I'm really tired of seeing people around me acting like hypocrites, blaming everyone for not following the lockdown rules when they don't follow them themselves. Since the lockdown started, my colleagues and friends have left the house to drop the baby at grandparents because they can't work with a baby in the house, their father came to their house to deliver groceries, they met their boyfriend on the way to work, they went out to get coffee cause they don't like having their coffee at home. These are the same people who talk poorly of the people who are out on the street apparently breaking lockdown rules, in their minds these people are the reason we are in this situation and the number of deaths and new infections keeps growing. Doesn't even cross their minds that these people may be on their way to dropping the baby at grandparents, deliver groceries to their children, meet their boyfriend on their way to work...breaking lockdown rules the same way they do. It's not that people break lockdown rules, I'm no longer shocked with that, I just can't stand this mentality that they can do whatever they want but others cannot, why don't they just admit and accept that they know what they should do but they don't want to, they're no better than others and others are no better than them!
Cognitive dissonance is a thing. Everybody has it in more or less ways.

It's easier to look down upon others than take a look at yourself. I try to follow the rules as best as I can, but I won't claim I am a saint and don't judge others for the same reason.

Cognitive dissonance is a thing. Everybody has it in more or less ways.

It's easier to look down upon others than take a look at yourself. I try to follow the rules as best as I can, but I won't claim I am a saint and don't judge others for the same reason.
True. I'm being strict with the lockdown, I only left the house once to get to the pharmacy to get my antibiotic, but if this goes on for too long, I can't promise I won't meet my boyfriend when he's on his way to work.

People are tired and exhausted. I do well on my own and since my favorite "outdoor" activities are restricted, I'd rather stay at home and entertain myself indoors, anyway we're only on our first week of lockdown and I do believe the lockdown will be finished once the infection and death numbers are down a bit. But a lot of people really struggle to stay home and can't stand being away from family and friends. I understand why people can't take the distance any longer and insist on seeing their loved ones, you don't know how long you have left with your people, if anything the pandemic makes you eager to connect even more. We just don't have to criticize others for doing the same things we do.

True. I'm being strict with the lockdown, I only left the house once to get to the pharmacy to get my antibiotic, but if this goes on for too long, I can't promise I won't meet my boyfriend when he's on his way to work.

People are tired and exhausted. I do well on my own and since my favorite "outdoor" activities are restricted, I'd rather stay at home and entertain myself indoors, anyway we're only on our first week of lockdown and I do believe the lockdown will be finished once the infection and death numbers are down a bit. But a lot of people really struggle to stay home and can't stand being away from family and friends. I understand why people can't take the distance any longer and insist on seeing their loved ones, you don't know how long you have left with your people, if anything the pandemic makes you eager to connect even more. We just don't have to criticize others for doing the same things we do.
Exactly.

I don't stick to the rule of shopping alone at all times, why? Because I am not allowed to lift things through my hernia, my husband has ADD so forgets half the list if he goes alone and having autistic kids means there is a CRISIS if they can't have a certain food halfway the week if it's used up before my delivery comes. I try to do everything with my delivery, but this does happen.

People have all kinds of reasons to break rules, some are good, some are bad. But I won't judge because of my own example.

People have all kinds of reasons to break rules, some are good, some are bad. But I won't judge because of my own example.
This such a good piece of wisdom ❤️ Yes, some reasons to break the rules seem "better" than others...everyone has their own reason for doing the things they do.

I think what's frustrating here as much as anything is that access to the vaccine is so random. In my county, very little information at all, in the next county over (where the rest of my family lives), they're registering everyone, and as soon as a person becomes eligible (and there's a vaccine), they get a call back.

I see news stories on TV of seniors in one state waiting in line overnight, but in another state, all you need to do is walk in at the local drug store, and if they've got it, you can get it.

We're struggling to even get good information, and my wife's sister, in another state, just walked into her local clinic and got the shot, no appointment, no registering - and she's not in a high-risk group at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

They did report last night that CVS and Walgreens (the two biggest drug/chemist chains in the US) are gearing up to offer vaccines nationwide, so hopefully, that makes things a bit easier.
Isn't this being taken under federal control now, under the new administration?

Isn't this being taken under federal control now, under the new administration?
Not entirely, no. I know they're planning to open some federal vaccination centers, but the main help will be logistics support in getting the vaccine distributed and also with ramping up production.

Back
Top Bottom