How would you like a steak from this steer?

So do the new owners then carry on showing him or is he for the chop?

I have never really been able to find out what happens to show inning cattle. Bulls and cows can reproduce, but the steers are only good for meat. It probably does some kind of show circuit, and then maybe out to pasture. I don't know.

I do know that the winning steer in this story has lived a very pampered life. WAY better than all the other steers live. That steer never spent a minute up to his ankles in mud and feces at a feed lot. He was bathed and groomed daily, and lived indoors in a stall full of fresh straw.

CD

I have never really been able to find out what happens to show inning cattle. Bulls and cows can reproduce, but the steers are only good for meat. It probably does some kind of show circuit, and then maybe out to pasture. I don't know.

I do know that the winning steer in this story has lived a very pampered life. WAY better than all the other steers live. That steer never spent a minute up to his ankles in mud and feces at a feed lot. He was bathed and groomed daily, and lived indoors in a stall full of fresh straw.

CD

All our cattle are raised like that. :) :)

Russ

It is almost like a turkey or a pig running away from the slaughterhouse. They don't catch them or kill them. They let them live. :wink:

Pigs are sometimes one of the few exceptions. They can revert back to "wild boar" and are a problem in some areas of the south region of US.

I'm well of the feral pig problem. However, I doubt that is a recent situation and domestic pigs today are more than likely not going to survive.

What a beautiful animal.

I agree with caseydog - EGO!!!

Jan. 2019 I went to the Denver Livestock Show with my Brother. A first for me. The day we went they were showing Black Angus and Red Angus. I was stunned. The animals were magnificent. They were in their show pens attended by their handlers (people who raised them). If they produced waste the straw was immediately changed and their back sides were washed and dried with a low dryer. The handlers were grooming them with wire hair picks. Fluffing every strand of fur, combing their tails, buffing their hooves. This is serious business.

Not about cows but about what people will pay for an animal. Baby Sister and BIL breed quarter horses. They will have six foals a year and sell most of them at auction. This year BIL kept two fillies. His prize breeding mare is getting old for breeding. She is not producing as many viable eggs as she used to, The fillies he kept are her daughters.

in 2018 They broke sale records with colt that sold for $200,000. 2019 they broke records again - $610,000!!! Two buyers got into a bidding war. After the sale the buyer told BIL that he would have paid $1,000,000 for the horse. Needless to say they are the top breeder of Louisiana quarter horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beautiful animal.

I agree with @caseydog - EGO!!!

Jan. 2019 I went to the Denver Livestock Show with my Brother. A first for me. The day we went they were showing Black Angus and Red Angus. I was stunned. The animals were magnificent. They were in their show pens attended by their handlers (people who raised them). If they produced waste the straw was immediately changed and their back sides were washed and dried with a low dryer. The handlers were grooming them with wire hair picks. Fluffing every strand of fur, combing their tails, buffing their hooves. This is serious business.

Not about cows but about what people will pay for an animal. Baby Sister and BIL breed quarter horses. They will have six foals a year and sell most of them at auction. This year BIL kept two fillies. His prize breeding mare is getting old for breeding. She is not producing as many viable eggs as she used to, The fillies he kept are her daughters.

in 2018 They broke sale records with colt that sold for $200,000. 2019 they broke records again - $610,000!!! Two buyers got into a bidding war. After the sale the buyer told BIL that he would have paid $1,000,000 for the horse. Needless to say they are the top breeder of Louisiana quarter horses.

I used to breed Standardbreds (racehorses with sulky behind it) we just had our yearling sales here, horses went from nothing to 500k, and there was even more spent on some. I never bred to top dollar stallions, just good bread and butter stallions.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom