If you wrote a cookbook, what would be the title?

"Cooking without recipes" (or something like that)

That's what I do - improvisation. It would be a difficult book to write...
So, just some blank pages, then? :)

I've always wanted to put together a cookbook of about 15 or so recipes of basic dishes, for my niblings, as they'd leave home, but the truth is, none of them are very interested in cooking.

The two that are, both cook from pre-prepped meal services delivered by mail, like Blue Apron, which just isn't the same, and I know neither one is learning any kind of cooking-from-scratch fundamentals, because on the rare occasions they do cook something from scratch, I'll get a text like, "Hey, what does 'one egg, separated' mean? I don't even get that!"

I guess if I were to do that cookbook, I'd call it, "Hey, Idiot! Learn To Cook Something!"

"Cooking without recipes" (or something like that)

That's what I do - improvisation. It would be a difficult book to write...

You need to read some of Michael Ruhlman's books. They have recipes in them, but are more about learning how to cook.

If you are not familiar with Michael Ruhlman, you need to know him. Here is a short version of his writing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sroUr9LlAM

Or for the long version (killer interview, BTW)...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEucj2_3A8w

CD

Last edited:
When I was in college (grad school for a master's degree), I lived in campus housing that was actually off campus. I bought a 5 day lunch meal plan and punted for the rest of the food. Had to make the budget count (if it didn't, I still would have five meals a week).

During that time (late 70s) I wanted to write two cookbooks: 101 Ways to Cook Noodles - in Indiana, no one called it pasta then. AND, 101 Ways to Cook Hot Dogs.

I did consider combining both books but didn't have a good title for that … 101 Ways to Cook Noodles and Hot Dogs just didn't seem to work for me.

A few years ago I thought to put together a cookbook whose idea I have not yet totally discarded: Grain-Free Meatloaf Recipes. (With no specific number attached.) I have always loathed most meatloaf, but I do know that meatloaf really does need more than just... meat. I just simply dislike (rather intensely) meat loaves made with breadcrumbs and other regular grains that are tossed into that dish. It wasn't until the Paleo movement that I decided to come up with meatloaf sans grains, but of course aren't just all meat. (NOTE: I do believe they taste a LOT better than the traditional types...)

I did consider combining both books but didn't have a good title for that … 101 Ways to Cook Noodles and Hot Dogs just didn't seem to work for me.

I love it! :roflmao:

t wasn't until the Paleo movement that I decided to come up with meatloaf sans grains, but of course aren't just all meat. (NOTE: I do believe they taste a LOT better than the traditional types...)

What sort of things are used instead?

Back
Top Bottom