I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, I'm averaging around a single kilo per month weight loss. I don't manage it every month, but I've been "dieting" or aiming to lose weight for the last 3 years. I was somewhere over 87kg when I started. I'm now at 62-63kg. Hubby's operation set me back a little putting about 1½kg back on, but I actually think that's muscle not fat. If anything I've lost fat having dropped another clothes size and I can now easily lift the big splitting axe and swing it around chopping wood whereas before I couldn't.

I'll start trying to drop below 60kg again once the recent health scares are addressed and I've had my next operation on my spine.

I think I could still swim 20 laps a day, but it wouldn't all be in the same round, LOL. I would have to take a few breaks and I swim much, much slower than I did when I was young. I grew up in a beach resort town and weather permitting I swam every day in the Gulf of Mexico, which is a bit challenging depending on currents and waves. I learned how to swim when I was 3 years old, BTW, and most of my friends had pools too, so when it was rough in the Gulf I could go over to someone's house to swim. In my early 20s I lived in an apartment on the Intracoastal waterway (sound) and the apartment complex had a pool, too. The sound was always quite swimmable but I had to stay close to shore because of barges passing through. My dad had a boat so I was really active with water skiing, fishing, etc. and in my 20s I became SCUBA certified so I did that as well. And I also had show horses in my teenage years and I had to carry 50 pound sacks of horsefeed from the back of the pickup to the feedroom, haul buckets of water to their stalls, plus muck their stalls and then haul the wheelbarrows of manure out to the pile, LOL. That's hard work. I weighed about 105 as a teenager and about 115-120 in my 20s.

I sure do miss those days. It was the only way to battle summer was living close to the water. I lived in Tallahassee, Florida for a couple of years and the heat was a good 10 degrees hotter in the summer there, but it was just as humid.

Oh yeah, and beer has good food value but food has no beer value, LOL! :D

I was a lifeguard in HS -- at the Lakewood pool in Port Arthur. Your cousins should know where that is (was?).

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 5.03.22 PM.jpg

CD

He said he lost 10kg once, which yeah, if done regularly, would be unsustainable and unhealthy. He said he can lose 5kg in a week easily. Isn't that about 2.5 pounds in a week? For my height (5'1") that might be a bit unreasonable, but for a man who is much taller than I am, it doesn't seem like too much.
Like SatNavSaysStraightOn said, 5 kg is 11 lbs. 10 kg is 22 lbs. That's not healthy or substainable to lose in a week. I lost 35 lbs in a year, which is roughly 16 kg.

Treating this as if it's normal or healthy may induce disordered thinking in vulnerable people, and that's why I pointed it out. It's not to make a rucus, but it's just dangerous and concerning to me. This kind of weight loss can only be achieved through dangerous means unless you're a marine training in the desert to become used to serious deprivation.

One to two pounds a week sounds reasonable. That's 52 to 104 pounds in a year. But, to lose 52 to 104 pounds in a year, one needs to lose one to two pounds a week consistently. At the end of a year, if a person has only lost a few pounds, or no weight, or worst case, has gained weight, it may be time for a new strategy.

CD
Of course, if it's not working it's time to reconsider. But pounds are very different to kilo's, that's what I was pointing out.

Sorry that my text was implying that.
I tried to to just talk a little bit about diet itself and how crazy it can be. If you ask me, there is no 100% healthy way of diet and if, then that'sjust a made up fact. What scientists say now is probably complete nonsense 100 years later.
But I don't want to be to skeptical again, it's always interesting to find out something new and try it own your own, right now I'm getting used to control my energy output throughout the day via herbal teas and spices like chili, ginger or garlic.

The most easiest way to find out what might be good, for me, is to have a quite repetitive day, doing the same things every day and watch how food intake changes the outcome on a workday.
I apologise for taking it personally, but do you understand why I said it was dangerous? :hug:

I'm sure scientists may say something different in a few years, but I have actually experienced starvation in my life and this kind of thing does make me concerned for people who'd think they should try to do this too. Such major weight loss in a short time can cause organs to shut down, it's no small thing.

I'm concerned, that a big weight loss can be dangerous and I try to hold my weight steady between 70 and 75kg. Still it's amazing what our body is capable, athletes can burn 8,000 calories a day and even more. Is this healthy? I don't know, but they advertise many healthy products. Long time aerobic workouts produces dopamine, which is good for mood and memory, but again, burning to much calories followed by eating big amounts of food can lead to digestive problems. Nobody should feel lectured by me, these are just the informations I got.

I guess if you don't eat fish you don't enjoy catching them, but I hear the fishing is amazing in that area.
I'm sure it is; my cooking partner tells me that the bird hunting (can't remember if it's pheasant or partridge!) is also superb here.

I had a vague idea when we moved here that there was some good wine to be found, but I was absolutely astonished at how much and how good. This has rapidly become one of my 2 or 3 favorite wine regions in the US, with the styles perfectly suited to my taste.

Still it's amazing what our body is capable, athletes can burn 8,000 calories a day and even more. Is this healthy?
It is quite stunning what a human body is capable of. I know from first hand experience of attempting to cycle around the world. We were consuming 6,000-8,000 calories a day minimum (we still cooked from scratch on our camping stove (4 person tranjia) just the portions were much bigger; bread, jam, and peanut butter were staples of every meal, and nuts & dried fruit eaten at the top of every hour without fail and were also midnight snacks if we woke hungry), and we were still losing weight.

I still had numerous medical conditions to deal with but was rarely actually ill ill. I had a bad cold just once that laid me up with my asthma out of control. I needed just 3 full days off the road. Unheard of previously, something like that in the past would have had at home for at least the entire week if not longer. I didn't need antibiotics, again a cold would usually have given me a chest infection in the past. Yes, i had days when i got up and my body said no, but that's my body not producing cortisol. Is just sleep or rest for a day and the next day I'd be fine. No different to when I was working. If my body said no, I didn't go to work that day. It's the nature of my condition.

We were never healthier, happier or fitter. Doctors visits were to get scripts for buying my medication in whatever country we were in at the time (if you actually needed to see a doctor that was) or for vaccinations whilst on route.

Is it healthy being that active? Yes it is in my opinion. It is what our bodies evolved to be, moving constantly. And I would happily return to a life cycling if I could again (I was cycling 1,500km a month right up until ending up in a wheelchair overnight when my back failed on me 7½ years ago). I have no doubt in my mind that humans are meant to be, and can be considerably more active than our very sedentary life styles now and we'd all be better off for it.

@windigi I'm saying this general. Being one who is only just getting back on my feet after 4 lots of spinal surgery and facing another spinal surgery in the next few weeks, I know some just can't be, but as a race, humans need to be much more active to be healthy in my opinion.

It is quite stunning what a human body is capable of. I know from first hand experience of attempting to cycle around the world. We were consuming 6,000-8,000 calories a day minimum (we still cooked from scratch on our camping stove (4 person tranjia) just the portions were much bigger; bread, jam, and peanut butter were staples of every meal, and nuts & dried fruit eaten at the top of every hour without fail and were also midnight snacks if we woke hungry), and we were still losing weight.

I still had numerous medical conditions to deal with but was rarely actually ill ill. I had a bad cold just once that laid me up with my asthma out of control. I needed just 3 full days off the road. Unheard of previously, something like that in the past would have had at home for at least the entire week if not longer. I didn't need antibiotics, again a cold would usually have given me a chest infection in the past. Yes, i had days when i got up and my body said no, but that's my body not producing cortisol. Is just sleep or rest for a day and the next day I'd be fine. No different to when I was working. If my body said no, I didn't go to work that day. It's the nature of my condition.

We were never healthier, happier or fitter. Doctors visits were to get scripts for buying my medication in whatever country we were in at the time (if you actually needed to see a doctor that was) or for vaccinations whilst on route.

Is it healthy being that active? Yes it is in my opinion. It is what our bodies evolved to be, moving constantly. And I would happily return to a life cycling if I could again (I was cycling 1,500km a month right up until ending up in a wheelchair overnight when my back failed on me 7½ years ago). I have no doubt in my mind that humans are meant to be, and can be considerably more active than our very sedentary life styles now and we'd all be better off for it.

@windigi I'm saying this general. Being one who is only just getting back on my feet after 4 lots of spinal surgery and facing another spinal surgery in the next few weeks, I know some just can't be, but as a race, humans need to be much more active to be healthy in my opinion.
OH, agreed. You’re talking to someone who used to walk 40 miles a week for work. I've never felt better. But that's fine when you take in enough calories. Not if you don't, unless it's for medically supervised endurance training like marines do. That's what I tried to say.

I hate my limited mobility and the effect on my body, I really miss those days.

I hate my limited mobility and the effect on my body, I really miss those days
Me too...

We did also experience the running out of food. A shop that was meant to be there in the very far north of Norway wasn't. We'd been relying on it for restocking after a week on the road and a week on 6,000-8,000 calories of food each a day is a lot to carry. We ran short 2 days before reaching the next place and had to cut back to barely anything. It was an interesting lesson, an interesting experience. We managed, but our speed and stamina was so much slower and several hills I knew I could easily ride the laden bike up, I had to push it up instead. I simply didn't have the strength. We didn't even have sugar left for the black coffee by the end (lunch on the final day had been the treat). We learnt a very valuable lesson and 1 was that no bread was ever too stale to eat, 2 was that polo mints don't go with coffee to make it sweeter, but do work well in plain hot water or in peppermint tea & 3, dried apricots work really well in tomato sauce on rice or pasta when you've not been able to buy fresh veg that night. Lol. It was hard but we've been in real survival situations previously and had actually done a 2 week survival training course some years previously. Plus I used to go out with my school on the annual survival training for the students with the SAS.

After that we started carrying emergency supplies that had a shelf life of 6 months right at the bottom of the panniers. Plus some dehydrated food (soya mince). We did twice more need them.

Like SatNavSaysStraightOn said, 5 kg is 11 lbs. 10 kg is 22 lbs. That's not healthy or substainable to lose in a week. I lost 35 lbs in a year, which is roughly 16 kg.

Treating this as if it's normal or healthy may induce disordered thinking in vulnerable people, and that's why I pointed it out. It's not to make a rucus, but it's just dangerous and concerning to me. This kind of weight loss can only be achieved through dangerous means unless you're a marine training in the desert to become used to serious deprivation.
Got it. I obviously had forgotten the conversion and didn't look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom