Is pineapple on pizza acceptable?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:16 PM
Arguably one of the most divisive food-related debates: the question of whether pineapple is an appropriate pizza topping is a controversial one. In this report in The Independent, Chef's were asked their views. Here are some extracts - the full report is here: pizza-pineapple-is-it-acceptable-chefs-expert-opinion-a8074571.html
But are a few chunks of tangy pineapple on a pizza really so bad? It doesn’t seem possible considering pineapple made it to the list of 10 most popular pizza toppings. (Although it only makes the ninth spot, just ahead of spinach.)

In a final effort to come to a conclusion, we went to Scott Weiner of Scott’s Pizza Tours, an expert on the topic of pizza, who left us with these words of pizza wisdom.

“To those who say pineapple isn’t an acceptable pizza topping because it’s not Italian … it existed in Italian food culture long before pepperoni ever did, but nobody complains about that. So many of the popular toppings we argue about are not Italian. Corn on pizza? Buffalo chicken on pizza? Ranch dressing on pizza? Not nearly as much noise about those, but they’re absolutely not Italian items and when they’re treated right, they taste great.

What do you think? Personally I hate the idea of any fruit on a pizza unless its sultanas or raisins on a Veneziana Pizza (Pizza Express).

Last edited:
I've got a couple of recipes somewhere on DVD (David Rocco) which feature fruit and they look rather nice, but they do not have pineapple on them. Although I like fresh pineapple, the thought of pineapple on a pizza horrifies me.

@morning glory When I commented on a similar conversation on another site, a certain person who is American but lives in Italy gave me a lecture about the only authentic pizza being a margherita, and that the ones I had mentioned were Sicilian and therefore not authentic.

I couldn't give a stuff. To my mind, if it's got a pizza base and has toppings, then it's a pizza (although a recipe I posted on here a while back did not have a traditional pizza base either!). I agree with @Lullabelle, but I still wouldn't have pineapple on mine.

I would not put fruit on a pizza, however, to each his own .. Whatever one fancies, if you are paying for it, eat as you wish .. However, this I believe is from the Usa, and for tourists ..

I prefer fresh Basil, Evoo, Mozzarella di Bufala & Fresh Tomato with a Natural Farine or Flour and thin and crispy, nothing more and nothing less.

According to the Italian Guide of Pizzas in Italia, the three most popular Pizzas:

1= Margharita - bufala d´mozzarella, tomato, Evoo
2= Margharita Bufala same as above without tomato .. and Basil ..
3= Quattro Stagione = Proscuitto, olives, anchovies, artichokes, peppers & bufala d´ mozzarella ..

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't have pineapple with anything, actually I wouldn't have pineapple full stop, so I definitely wouldn't have it on a pizza.

Is it authentic? It is probably a authentic as an Indian chicken masala... but then does it really matter?

If people like it, let them have it. Put enough on and it could qualify as 1 of your 5 a day!

In the US pineapple is not unusual on artisan pizza. Fruit pizza is in no way "authentic". It is a fad - a tasty fad. Avocado on pizza is also an "in" thing.

Seeing as most countries had at one time a bread base, whether it be called a trencher, a pizza, or anything else, which was the forerunner of a normal plate, I don't suppose it really matters what we put on them.

Of course you can put whatever you want on pizza..but if we talk seriously about it, the authentic pizza is Margherita, no doubt. Then we have other topping of pizza as I have already mentioned in other posts.
Fruit on pizza is only fruit on pizza base, not Pizza and you can't be surprised if Italians are horrified by this. It's normal and this happens for other countries that looks their recipes ruined by absurd ingredients ( ex. Jamie Oliver's paella).

Of course you can put whatever you want on pizza..but if we talk seriously about it, the authentic pizza is Margherita, no doubt. Then we have other topping of pizza as I have already mentioned in other posts.
Fruit on pizza is only fruit on pizza base, not Pizza and you can't be surprised if Italians are horrified by this. It's normal and this happens for other countries that looks their recipes ruined by absurd ingredients ( ex. Jamie Oliver's paella).
The ones I mentioned earlier were Sicilian, but before that I had never ever thought of fruit on a pizza base. Fruit and cheese used to be quite common in the UK, and some of our cheeses do still have fruit in them. Perhaps it does depend where you come from as to what you like. But I do agree with you about Jamie Oliver's paella; in fact I think the same of practically anything that he comes up with.

@MypinchofItaly

The 3 pizzas in Italy are Margharita, Margharita e Mozzarella di Bufala e Quattro Stagoni ( anchovies, olives, mozzarella di bufala, artichokes, fresh tomato and Proscuitto ) according to Gambero Rosso ..

I agree with you totally .. Definitely horrifying to put fruit on a pizza ..

Pineapple on pizza is definitely a touristy Usa thing just as chorizo in a Paella .. Just does not exist here.

However, one can spend their money and eat as they wish .. Lots of luck ..

Have a great day ..

The ones I mentioned earlier were Sicilian, but before that I had never ever thought of fruit on a pizza base. Fruit and cheese used to be quite common in the UK, and some of our cheeses do still have fruit in them. Perhaps it does depend where you come from as to what you like. But I do agree with you about Jamie Oliver's paella; in fact I think the same of practically anything that he comes up with.

Fruit and cheese work very good! :okay: I also love to combine them....but not on pizza..
Pizza with pineapple in Italy does not exist and if it exists it is a business issue for tourists who ask for it.

Back
Top Bottom