Is there a Food That You Don't Like, But Think You Should

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
4:18 AM
I know, a long subject title, but oh well.

There is one food that I don't really care for. I feel like I should because there is so much that you can do with it. That is Mushrooms!!!

About 3 months ago I decided I was going to train my taste buds to like them. I've started cooking with them on occasion. I am starting to like them. I need to continue to only "lightly" cook them as I definitely prefer them with a little texture.

I had some whole roasted shrooms on SAT that were fantastic!!!

Do you have a food that fits into this category?

Thanks,

B

The first half, yes (there are foods I don't like), but not so much the second half (but I feel I should like them). If I don't like something, I don't like it, and I move on. I'm 53. If I don't like it by now, nothing's going to get me to like it.

I will say, there are a lot of common things I don't like (mushrooms, seafood, nuts cooked in things), but I don't feel bad about it or like I need to change.

I know, a long subject title, but oh well.

There is one food that I don't really care for. I feel like I should because there is so much that you can do with it. That is Mushrooms!!!

About 3 months ago I decided I was going to train my taste buds to like them. I've started cooking with them on occasion. I am starting to like them. I need to continue to only "lightly" cook them as I definitely prefer them with a little texture.

I had some whole roasted shrooms on SAT that were fantastic!!!

Do you have a food that fits into this category?

Thanks,

B
Sauerkraut.jpg

One of the most hated foods since I was a kid is sauerkraut! I'll NEVER eat that!! :stop::headshake::eek:

I like sauerkraut, too, quite a bit, but a lot of people don't know you're not supposed to just eat it out of the can, you've got to drain it, squeeze it dry, then replace the liquid with wine or beer, some finely chopped apple (fine enough that they break down), some bacon, a little brown sugar, maybe throw in some juniper berries, then get it back up to temp that way.

It's a whole different creature.

One thing that I hate that's universally loved is macaroni-and-cheese. Can't stand it. I've had it baked, made on the stovetop, topped with a cracker crumb, or potato chip crumb, with bacon, made out of multiple cheeses, with ham stirred in...blech! I hate it!

I like sauerkraut, too, quite a bit, but a lot of people don't know you're not supposed to just eat it out of the can, you've got to drain it, squeeze it dry, then replace the liquid with wine or beer, some finely chopped apple (fine enough that they break down), some bacon, a little brown sugar, maybe throw in some juniper berries, then get it back up to temp that way.

One thing that I hate that's universally loved is macaroni-and-cheese. Can't stand it. I've had it baked, made on the stovetop, topped with a cracker crumb, or potato chip crumb, with bacon, made out of multiple cheeses, with ham stirred in...blech! I hate it!

I feel like that would take away too much of what I like about the kraut. I drain it, add some diced onions, and maybe a bit of mild mustard, and then heat it up. I love it mixed with mashed potato's.

Mac & Cheese. 2.jpg

I LOVE mac & cheese!! One of my favorite creature comforts that I can eat everyday!! Especially with baked chicken & mixed veggies!! :wink:

Last edited:
Homemade kraut is much superior to canned, plastic package or jarred. Being of German heritage, I grew up with it. It is the base of a "boiled dinner" where other things are added whole boiling onions, potatoes, pork chops, wursts and other sausages. Like corned beef and cabbage, it makes a one pot meal.

I've always hated sauerkraut and wouldn't eat it, until I made some. It's still not one of my favorites, but I will eat homemade sauerkraut now.

Craig's oldest brother, RIP, absolutely HATED collard greens, until I made them for him. He went back for thirds.

Craig hated chicken fried steak until I cooked it for him. His mother had always cooked it to shoe leather.

My only experience up until my mid-30s with tamales was those that came in a flat can (kind of like anchovies come in but bigger and were drenched in this oily looking red sauce) from the grocery store. My mother loved those things. I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole and you couldn't pay me to eat them. Homemade tamales or even bought homemade tamales are one of my favorite things now.

Back
Top Bottom