Is there a Food That You Don't Like, But Think You Should

I've been a vegetarian for nearly forty years, but I've never got the hang of carrots. I can just about put up with eating raw carrots, but cooked ones? Nah. I can't be doing with sweetcorn, either.

Its the sweetness I suspect. I like carrots in stews so that they absorb a savoury stock and become a counterpoint rather than dominant taste.

Agree - too sweet for me. I do have one recipe which works though - its brown butter, rosemary and chilli with sweet potato. It just works.
I made a very similar dish a couple of months ago, still going down that path of "there must be something wrong with me, because everyone loves these things," but no. Wife raved, I gagged.

Nope...

Trouble is, I think its two factors. I don't like sweet tastes and polenta is made from corn so has a sweetish taste. I don't like sweetcorn either. Secondly, I don't like creamy things very much - hence why I don't like risotto.

Polenta hasn't a sweet taste, unless you decide to make a sweet version adding sugar (which I sometimes make, adding also raisins or choco chips).
About risotto, it has not to be too creamy, unless you decide to make a rice soup, neither too dry, or it will be only boiled rice paired with something.
A good balance of broth and butter...

Last edited:
Oh - last time I had some (in a savoury dish in a restaurant) it tasted sweetish to me. I think I ordered it without noticing it had polenta. I will have to test again. I have some in the cupboard...

Sometimes it has mascarpone in it, which can give a sweetish flavor.

Sprouts. Absolutely detest them. Whoever invented them can have them shoved straight back up their~

I am sensing a pattern here, and I think @MypinchofItaly figured out why some things are in the "I hate ____" category for some people.

What don't conquer me are some combos with food or food with too much seasoning.

Yes, this - the way the foods are prepared - is really the key in a lot of cases.

On the other side of it, I've heard people say "I love pizza"; when I hear that, I think, "I love good pizza". There is some pretty bad pizza out there. You can't just spread some tomato sauce on a sheet of dough and sprinkle on some rubbery cheese: while it's technically pizza, it's not pizza worth eating.

I have had watery mac and cheese, improperly-prepared steak, overly spicy Mexican food, but I do still generally love properly-prepared versions of all of them. I used to hate rice pudding because it was always just a boring bowl of glop...and then, I made it myself, and after a few tweaks, I know it can be delicious. :laugh:

In the "food I don't like" part of the question, I could say, "anything my brother-in-law cooks on the grill"; this isn't from a recent dinner party at his house, but it might as well have been:

burnt.jpg

But, as @morning glory mentioned, I might have said polenta, too. I should like it because of my heritage. But, now I know it's just because I haven't had good polenta (yet); I will have to work to remedy that!

Sprouts. Absolutely detest them. Whoever invented them can have them shoved straight back up their~

You are not alone. Apparently there is (or was) a bitter taste which is experienced by some more than others (its thought to be genetic to individual people). That taste has gradually been bred out of many modern varieties. It may be that if you tried them again you might not have the same reaction.

Personally, I love that bitter taste and I'm disappointed that many Brussels sprouts these days have lost that flavour.

Nope...

Trouble is, I think its two factors. I don't like sweet tastes and polenta is made from corn so has a sweetish taste. I don't like sweetcorn either. Secondly, I don't like creamy things very much - hence why I don't like risotto.

There's no cream in my risotto !

Russ

You are not alone. Apparently there is (or was) a bitter taste which is experienced by some more than others (its thought to be genetic to individual people). That taste has gradually been bred out of many modern varieties. It may be that if you tried them again you might not have the same reaction.

Personally, I love that bitter taste and I'm disappointed that many Brussels sprouts these days have lost that flavour.
I have. I still detest them.

Back
Top Bottom