Is there a Food That You Don't Like, But Think You Should

You are not alone. Apparently there is (or was) a bitter taste which is experienced by some more than others (its thought to be genetic to individual people). That taste has gradually been bred out of many modern varieties. It may be that if you tried them again you might not have the same reaction.

Personally, I love that bitter taste and I'm disappointed that many Brussels sprouts these days have lost that flavour.
Thay would explain a lot in tbe change in taste i have noticed coming to Australia. Here they are a lot more bitter.

I have recipes thay name it risotto and say quite clearly to use basmati! So for the last 20-25 years I have been

I'm definitely sure yours will be very good, of course, and if you love it like that, that's it
but Risotto isn't made with Basmati (and who says this, is quite wrong), is made with Arborio, or Carnaroli or Vialone Nano or Riso Roma quality.

You are not alone. Apparently there is (or was) a bitter taste which is experienced by some more than others (its thought to be genetic to individual people).
This reminds me that some people have a genetic predisposition to get a soapy taste when they eat cilantro (coriander leaves). To me, cilantro is an indispensable part of salsas and guacamole, but I'm sure I'd think differently if I had this.

If I were to make risotto, I'd use whatever rice that produced the end product that I liked, or if I really wanted some and all I had on hand was some long grain rice, that's what I'd use.

Food "rules" - not for me. Cook what you like and what works for you.

I feel like that would take away too much of what I like about the kraut. I drain it, add some diced onions, and maybe a bit of mild mustard, and then heat it up. I love it mixed with mashed potato's.
Must try this. Otherwise, this is one I don't like, but wish I could like it. I like your idea of training the tastebuds, but I think mothers try this with their kids! Mine failed with mushrooms.

If I were to make risotto, I'd use whatever rice that produced the end product that I liked, or if I really wanted some and all I had on hand was some long grain rice, that's what I'd use.

Food "rules" - not for me. Cook what you like and what works for you.

I absolutely agree with you in general terms - but here its a specific dish made with short grain rice which absorbs flavour in slow cooking & releases the starch to form a silky smooth result. That's the nature of a risotto - just like the nature of a a Biryani is that the grains are separate - so long grain or basmati rice is used. I'm not really talking about 'tradition' or 'authenticity' here at all. I'm talking about choice of ingredients producing very different end results.

But of course, you can call a dish whatever you like and use whatever ingredients you prefer!

Back
Top Bottom