Recipe Italian potato-tomato-basil casserole

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:06 PM

We had this dish for the first time at an Italian-American neighbor's home. Craig absolutely loved it.

I'm glad for the potato pick as it reminded me of this dish. We haven't had it in a really long time. It was on our weekly menu prior to Craig's issue so will remain after he comes home. The above is an old picture.

For 3 to 4 servings

3 large tomato on the vine type fresh tomatoes
3 to 4 Yukon Gold or similar type potatoes

The tomatoes and potatoes should be about the same diameter for appearance purposes.

Fresh basil
EVOO
salt and pepper
1/4 to 1/3 cup large grate Parmigiano reggiano or Pecorino Romano, your preference or can be omitted entirely

Slice tomatoes and potatoes about 1/4 inch thick.

Steam the potatoes for a few minutes to par-cook them, as they might not get quite done otherwise. I always sprinkle some salt on top of potatoes before steaming. Allow to cool.

Pour a tablespoon or so of EVOO into a 9 inch square pan or similar sized round casserole, and use a paper towel or your fingers to grease entire dish.

Slice some fresh basil in about 1/4 inch thick strips. Reserve some for garnish if desired.

First make a row of potato slices, shingling them. Then, sprinkle some of the sliced basil on the lower half of the slices. Cover the basil with a row of shingled tomato slices. Repeat until pan is full. When you are done, season liberally with salt and pepper. Lightly drizzle with EVOO.

Place in 375 F oven and bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes until potatoes are soft and you are getting some bubbly tomato juice. Sprinkle with cheese the last 10 minutes or so of baking.

Let cool for about 10 minutes because the tomatoes are HOT! Garnish with fresh basil if desired. Serve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom