Its that time of year again: Thanksgiving, USA

Ahhhh, Kroger... 😔

I went to pick up my $75 premium preordered Thanksgiving meal. When I got there, even though I'd preordered a couple of weeks ago, they told me they ran out of the premium turkey and had to sub in a lower-priced alternative (Home Chef, which is a meal kit line they sell), so I ended up paying $60US.

Secondly, they also didn't have green bean casserole, so they subbed in broccoli-rice casserole, which I prefer but MrsT does not.

Thirdly, I asked the deli worker if there were reheating instructions included, because when we ordered one of these years and years ago, they included a nice sheet of instructions along the lines of, "3 hours before meal time, heat the oven to...1.5 hours before meal time, add the stuffing to the oven..." and so on.

"Yeah, uh, there are instructions on all the boxes of stuff", and he reached in a picked up the turkey breast, looked at it, and continued, "and the instructions for the turkey are on the label."

Fair enough.

Got home, started to unpack it, got to the turkey...no instructions on it. Not even close. My best guess is, he just glanced at it, saw some words, and assumed that those were the instructions.

No biggie, it's a precooked boneless breast, so it just gets reheated to 165F, and I can handle that. I'm just pointing out the quality of the workforce at the moment. :laugh:

Here are the pics:

I think it'll get the job done, it that's about it. :laugh:

My hostess yesterday requested I make a dessert, I just picked apple pie because I like it and the ingredients are easy to obtain.

In my family, my mom and her sisters are the chefs, but they all specialize in different dishes. My mom does not specialize in desserts, so I guess neither did I lol. I got several pointers from my aunt on this particular recipe though, and I will make another in the near future in an effort to improve. Practice makes perfect right?
Everyone here prefers crumble over a pie. I love either.

Russ

Ahhhh, Kroger... 😔

I went to pick up my $75 premium preordered Thanksgiving meal. When I got there, even though I'd preordered a couple of weeks ago, they told me they ran out of the premium turkey and had to sub in a lower-priced alternative (Home Chef, which is a meal kit line they sell), so I ended up paying $60US.

Secondly, they also didn't have green bean casserole, so they subbed in broccoli-rice casserole, which I prefer but MrsT does not.

Thirdly, I asked the deli worker if there were reheating instructions included, because when we ordered one of these years and years ago, they included a nice sheet of instructions along the lines of, "3 hours before meal time, heat the oven to...1.5 hours before meal time, add the stuffing to the oven..." and so on.

"Yeah, uh, there are instructions on all the boxes of stuff", and he reached in a picked up the turkey breast, looked at it, and continued, "and the instructions for the turkey are on the label."

Fair enough.

Got home, started to unpack it, got to the turkey...no instructions on it. Not even close. My best guess is, he just glanced at it, saw some words, and assumed that those were the instructions.

No biggie, it's a precooked boneless breast, so it just gets reheated to 165F, and I can handle that. I'm just pointing out the quality of the workforce at the moment. :laugh:

Here are the pics:
View attachment 75924
View attachment 75925
View attachment 75926

I think it'll get the job done, it that's about it. :laugh:

You cant make mashed potatoes??
I cant get my head around buying in a meal. I really cant, is it just a treat?
Why not do it yourself?

Russ

You cant make mashed potatoes??
I cant get my head around buying in a meal. I really cant, is it just a treat?
Why not do it yourself?

Russ
Regarding the potatoes, it comes as a prepackaged kit meal, you can't pick and choose - that's rather the point.

And yes, this year, I can't be bothered to cook.

Regarding the potatoes, it comes as a prepackaged kit meal, you can't pick and choose - that's rather the point.

And yes, this year, I can't be bothered to cook.

Ok, gotcha. Sometimes I too just say f$$% it, someone else can cook.

I wouldn't get away with it on xmas day though. Kids would string me up, In front of my grandkids lol.

Russ

My turkey is still frozen. Can I leave this in a cooler to thaw out rather than the fridge? The instructions say not to thaw out at room temperature, but I feel like an insulated cooler would work faster than fridge but safer than room temp.
🤷‍♂️

Here's an article on thawing a turkey, a bit late now, but here it is - thawing a turkey.

Ok, gotcha. Sometimes I too just say f$$% it, someone else can cook.

I wouldn't get away with it on xmas day though. Kids would string me up, In front of my grandkids lol.

Russ
I should add, too, that MrsT loves a traditional Thanksgiving meal, and it's about my least favorite meal, so most years, I cook for two days, then spend 20 minutes picking over stuff I don't like - except for the stuffing/dressing; I could eat 10 pounds of that.

This year, I opted out.

I should add, too, that MrsT loves a traditional Thanksgiving meal, and it's about my least favorite meal, so most years, I cook for two days, then spend 20 minutes picking over stuff I don't like - except for the stuffing/dressing; I could eat 10 pounds of that.

This year, I opted out.

I absolutely love xmas day and cooking it. My butcher mate is having xmas day with us.

Russ

I love the Holidays and I love traditional holiday foods.
Some holiday foods have been tweaked to accommodate more mature palates. Baby Sis, BIL, their two daughters, SILs and 4 Grands will not be with us this year.
I do not know if either of our two out of state brothers will be attending with their wives.

Middle Sis is hostess.

MENU

My contributions:
Drunk pork Roast with gravy
Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
Cranberries
2 Buttermilk Pecan Pies

Middle Sister:
Cornbread Dressing
Dinner Rolls
Green Salad
A desert - maybe a Trifle

Baby Brother
Turkey
Turkey Gravy

If one or both of our out of state Brothers will be here I will make an additional vegetable casserole side. I may make one anyway - either Spinach, Artichoke Heart and Water Chestnut casserole or a Corn Casserole.

I just took a pork roast out of the freezer. I will be cooked Monday or Tuesday. I will get to the store today or tomorrow for ingredients. The sweet potato casserole will be prepped, in the baking dish and frozen Monday.
Pecan pies will be baked Thanksgiving Eve.

I used to stay up all night before a holiday cooking and baking. Exhausted and stressed for the holiday. Not any more. Cooking and freezing ahead of time is the only way i can roll.
I want to know more about the buttermilk pecan pies?

Xmas day here
Leg lamb rolled pickled pork and turkey breast roast.
Roast veges with new potatoes and peas from out garden.
Trifle and jelly for dessert. Then a few zs .

Russ

Keep in mind, Christmas is mid summer down there, and mid winter up here. I'm sure I would do a much different Christmas dinner if I lived down there.

CD

The apple pie I made for "Friendsgiving" yesterday turned out pretty good for my first pie ever!
View attachment 75771
A bit too tart though. I used granny smith apples and had used lemon juice to prevent them from going brown while I was prepping the other ingredients. That was a mistake. Next time, no lemon juice.
Looks wonderful!!! And as for being "too tart" - bring it on!!!
whoever invented the 'turkey shortage' needs to be flailed to the bone....
today we did our once in a while big-axx round trip shopping 'spree':
Costco
Wegmans
Giant
all three had frozen turkeys piled up overflowing the cases.

Giant since a week ago....
Our frozen turkey bin was overflowing at Price Chopper. No fresh/unthawed ones visible.
Couldn't find just thighs to save my life. Drumsticks or necks galore, however.

Back
Top Bottom