Jubilee Special Edition Foods

There is, of course, a competition to establish HM´s Platinum Jubilee Pudding. Entries closed on 2nd April. I believe it was Fortnum & Mason which initiated the competition - and I suppose it´s logical since we Brits (with one exception - me) love our puddings.
The judges are as follows: Platinum Jubilee Pudding
One awaits the astounding, breathtaking results with bated breath....:chef::chef::chef:

I always say I have no sweet tooth but I do love a British pudding occasionally. Shame I didn't know about this competition or I might have come up with something and entered. There is a paucity of recipe competitions on the internet. Well, in fact there are almost none in the UK. All the food related comps here are lottery style, with no skill required - you answer a dumb question correctly and your entry goes into a hat.

I have a Christmas pudding I’m holding onto for the jubilee.
You have a pudding you made at Christmas that you have in the refrigerator? Do those things get better with age or something? I mean, pudding just means dessert, right? I think I remember Burt Blank posting strawberries as his "pud". I wonder what ever happened to Burt...

I got a Christmas ornament to commemorate the Jubilee and a stuffed toy Corgi when I was in London 2 weeks ago. No Jubilee edition food though. Damn, a missed opportunity!
I guess you should have picked up a few Mars bars and you could have deep fried them at home. In Florida. I think people in the US do Snickers bars somewhere, can't remember. I do know that Fried twinkies are a thing, too...

I suppose my (relative) indifference to dessert/pudding could be attributed to my youth. Gigantic, monolithic lumps of roly-poly pudding
with lumpy custard; dry and dusty bread&butter pudding; Queen pudding (which was not fit for a frog, never mind a queen); apple pies made with cardboard instead of pastry.
English puddings tend to be heavy, and when I finish a meal, I just love something light: gelato, ice cream, sorbet, tiramisú, panna cotta, etc.

You have a pudding you made at Christmas that you have in the refrigerator? Do those things get better with age or something? I mean, pudding just means dessert, right? I think I remember Burt Blank posting strawberries as his "pud". I wonder what ever happened to Burt...
No, it’s not one I made, but one I bought, and akin to fruitcake, they last decades. :laugh:

It’s like this (pic from Amazon):

I’ll make some brandy butter to have with it. That’s the key, helps it slide down the gullet.

You have a pudding you made at Christmas that you have in the refrigerator? Do those things get better with age or something? I mean, pudding just means dessert, right?
Traditional Christmas Puddings are made at least 3 months before Xmas.
Tradition has it that HM gives Xmas puddings to all her staff, with strict instructions to prepare them the following year.
So you get a pud in October, 2022, and you eat it in December, 2023.

British Christmas Pudding is a singular dish, but pudding is also the generic term for pretty much anything resembling dessert, I think.

My understanding is that it is the culinary equivalent to America Fruitcake at Christmas. Very dense. Lasts forever. Can be used as a weapon in a pinch.

CD

British Christmas Pudding is a singular dish, but pudding is also the generic term for pretty much anything resembling dessert, I think.

My understanding is that it is the culinary equivalent to America Fruitcake at Christmas. Very dense. Lasts forever. Can be used as a weapon in a pinch.

CD
My mother didn't think my Christmas card one year was very funny. "The fruitcake that traveled around the world" LOL. Did anyone ever eat it or did they just repackage it and send it to someone else the following year?

My mom always made fruitcakes every year and sent them to people. I always wondered if anyone ever ate them. They were awful. When she passed away we found those horrible candied fruit tubs in her pantry she used to make them.

We’ve decided to have an afternoon tea on the day of the jubilee. Coronation chicken was famously invented for Queenie’s 1953 ascension, and there have been Jubilee chicken recipes recipes in the past, and a new Platinum Pudding recipe will be unveiled at this year’s celebration, so I’m spoiled for choice on what to serve.

MrsT doesn’t like coronation chicken, so I may try and think of some other representative British flavors to fold into a chicken salad…gin?…serve it in little Yorkie puds?…deep-fry the whole lot like a Mars bar? What to do, what to do…

Back
Top Bottom