Jubilee Special Edition Foods

Traditional Christmas Puddings are made at least 3 months before Xmas.
Tradition has it that HM gives Xmas puddings to all her staff, with strict instructions to prepare them the following year.
So you get a pud in October, 2022, and you eat it in December, 2023.
Or you give it to the chickens to see if they'll eat it....

We’ve decided to have an afternoon tea on the day of the jubilee. Coronation chicken was famously invented for Queenie’s 1953 ascension, and there have been Jubilee chicken recipes recipes in the past, and a new Platinum Pudding recipe will be unveiled at this year’s celebration, so I’m spoiled for choice on what to serve.

MrsT doesn’t like coronation chicken, so I may try and think of some other representative British flavors to fold into a chicken salad…gin?…serve it in little Yorkie puds?…deep-fry the whole lot like a Mars bar? What to do, what to do…
What is it about the coronation chicken she doesn't like? Some people put raisins in it but I read that apricots were in the original recipe. I read the ingredient list, I would eat that!

The curry flavor; she can’t stand it at all.
Oh my, that's sad. I remember one of my favorite things my mother ever cooked was curried chicken and rice. Yummy. Well I guess you can make two batches, one with curry and one without.

So it's all curry? She doesn't even like turmeric, or which ingredient in the curry doesn't she care for?

Oh my, that's sad. I remember one of my favorite things my mother ever cooked was curried chicken and rice. Yummy. Well I guess you can make two batches, one with curry and one without.

So it's all curry? She doesn't even like turmeric, or which ingredient in the curry doesn't she care for?
I won’t be making two batches. We don’t do that in this house. :laugh:

She doesn’t like anything curry. At all. Turns her stomach. As to the turmeric, that’s on her avoid-at-all-costs list from one of her docs, because of some of the meds she’s on, but it’s not an issue, because she won’t likely ever eat it anyway.

I won’t be making two batches. We don’t do that in this house. :laugh:

She doesn’t like anything curry. At all. Turns her stomach. As to the turmeric, that’s on her avoid-at-all-costs list from one of her docs, because of some of the meds she’s on, but it’s not an issue, because she won’t likely ever eat it anyway.
Wow, that's sad. I didn't know turmeric was a contraindication for any medicines. I know it's a natural antinflammatory and has a ton of health benefits.

I thought you were a short order cook. I make substitutions for my husband whenever he asks.

Wow, that's sad. I didn't know turmeric was a contraindication for any medicines. I know it's a natural antinflammatory and has a ton of health benefits.
It’s the blood-thinning aspect. She naturally have very viscous, clot-happy blood, so she’s on high doses of blood thinners and blood lubricants, so they’re always concerned about that.

One good thing…when we go to the ER, she pretty much always move to the front of the line as soon as she mentions her meds. :laugh:

The curry flavor; she can’t stand it at all.

That is a sweeping statement since curry doesn't have one particular flavour. There are so many different combinations of spices used to make different Indian dishes. karadekoolaid will vouch for that, I'm sure. I suppose its possible she doesn't like any spices at all but that would be rare.

That is a sweeping statement since curry doesn't have one particular flavour.
I’m referring to the generic supermarket blends sold as curry powder here. They’re all about the same (they probably come from the same supplier).

She’s not an adventurous spice-eater anyway. She doesn’t like allspice, clove, mace (though she likes nutmeg), absolutely hates cumin, coriander, paprika, and probably a half-dozen others I can’t remember right now. A lot of meals around here are, “What’s that flavor in this?”

“That’s probably <insert spice or herb here>.”

“Yeah…I don’t like that.”

Well that´s the first time I´ve heard of turmeric as having a negative effect on meds - but I just looked it up and apparently it might have some negative effect on blood thinners. First time I´ve heard of it.
As for "Curry Flavour" - agree with MG. That´s like saying "I don´t like Mexican Food" because you once ate at Taco Bell, or " I hate Chinese!" because Chop Suey doesn´t agree with you.
However, all due respect to Mrs T - she likes what she likes and doesn´t like what she doesn´t.
Thank goodness we don´t all like the same things!

Well, just looked up Coronation Chicken. Along with that Jubilee/Christmas pudding, I want to eat NEITHER.

I LOVE curries. I just don't like cold white meat chicken salad, no way, no how. Chicken breast has to be served warm. That salad would be fine served with thigh meat.

Surely, there are other things Brits eat for the Jubilee??? Something good? Perhaps???

Well, just looked up Coronation Chicken. Along with that Jubilee/Christmas pudding, I want to eat NEITHER.

I LOVE curries. I just don't like cold white meat chicken salad, no way, no how. Chicken breast has to be served warm. That salad would be fine served with thigh meat.

Surely, there are other things Brits eat for the Jubilee??? Something good? Perhaps???
I love cold, creamy chicken salad, typically on crackers or in a sandwich. Do you not like tuna salad sandwiches? Not much difference. I don't think I'd like curried tuna, though. Maybe coronation chicken could be served as a hot dip? Omit the mayo and use cream cheese instead.

Back
Top Bottom