Jubilee Special Edition Foods

I´ve looked up the "original" recipe on several sites.
Some say apricot halves, some say apricot jam.
Basically, it´s cooked chicken with a curried mayonnaise & cream sauce. Some of the recipes I looked at said the chicken was cooked in red wine, tomato purée, onions, etc. - but basically it´s a chicken salad with curried mayonnaise.
Later (ie. post - 1953) people started doing their own thing, just like they did with fettucine Alfredo. Added mango chutney, spicy pickles, sultanas, dried prunes, dates, etc.
Well it would make a huge difference to me on whether or not I would eat it!

In the immortal words of the now famous caseydog:
Well I detest mango chutney
" You´ve never tried mine"
(At least) 300,000 jars sold. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

In the immortal words of the now famous caseydog:

" You´ve never tried mine"
(At least) 300,000 jars sold. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
View attachment 84757
Oh, your chutneys aren't sweet? I wouldn't like them if they were. I don't really care for sweet mixed with savory ingredients. Not my thing at all. In fact, I am not even a fan of jams, jellies, or preserves, either. I like my toast with butter only. I am sure they are quite good to people who like that sort of thing.

I make mine with mango chutney.
Okay, well I will have to side with Mrs. T on this one! Although she and I have different reasons for not liking it. Apricots are not very sweet, mangos are, however.

The Fortnum & Mason Platinum Pudding prize will be announce in mid- May on BBC1.
If anyone comes up with a bread pudding, I shall be sick on Pall Mall...

Bread pudding in the UK must be different than the one that is common here, which comes out of New Orleans. NOLA bread pudding, with a Bourbon sauce, is food of the gods.

CD

Bread pudding in the UK must be different than the one that is common here, which comes out of New Orleans. NOLA bread pudding, with a Bourbon sauce, is food of the gods.(just down the road from me)

CD

It looks quite like a UK bread pudding (as distinct from bread and butter pudding). This is Italian/Scottish cook is in Los Angeles but she is referring to a bread pudding her Aunt cooked in Rye (just down the road from me):

Aunt Rosa's British Bread Pudding, not to be Confused with Bread and Butter Pudding

1651660658860.png

I've not come across this particular chicken salad, using half a roast chicken (poussin). Do you mean the salad had a creamy dressing? I sometimes serve cold slices of chicken with creamy dressings. Like this:

View attachment 84752
No - it was a WHOLE half a chicken, all parts connected to each other. Bones in, skin on. I don't think it had a creamy dressing, probably a simple vinaigrette. Since it wasn't mine, and this was nearly 20 years ago, I don't know if it was served hot or cold.

It looks quite like a UK bread pudding (as distinct from bread and butter pudding).
Yep, I was just about to point out that bread pudding and bread-and-butter pudding are two very different things.

Bread pudding is very popular here. I make it a lot over Winter and it’s like a meal in itself. Lots of variety, too. We love it!

It looks quite like a UK bread pudding (as distinct from bread and butter pudding). This is Italian/Scottish cook is in Los Angeles but she is referring to a bread pudding her Aunt cooked in Rye (just down the road from me):

Aunt Rosa's British Bread Pudding, not to be Confused with Bread and Butter Pudding

View attachment 84766

Ah, your Bread and Butter pudding sounds more like our Bread Pudding.

In the United States, especially Louisiana, bread puddings are typically sweet and served as dessert with a sweet sauce of some sort, such as whiskey sauce, rum sauce, or caramel sauce, but typically sprinkled with sugar and eaten warm in squares or slices. Sometimes, bread pudding is served warm topped with or alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

CD

Ah, your Bread and Butter pudding sounds more like our Bread Pudding.

In the United States, especially Louisiana, bread puddings are typically sweet and served as dessert with a sweet sauce of some sort, such as whiskey sauce, rum sauce, or caramel sauce, but typically sprinkled with sugar and eaten warm in squares or slices. Sometimes, bread pudding is served warm topped with or alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

CD

Confusing really - photos of NOLA bread pudding look like a cross between UK bread and butter pudding and UK bread pudding.

So just in case you hadn´t heard, the winning entry for the Queen´s Platinum Jubilee Pud has been announced:
Lemon Swiss Roll and Amaretti Trifle
Invented by Jemma Melvin.

I don´t think I´ll be making it any day soon, but at least it wasn´t bread pudding.
Two things that impressed me, however. Firstly, that Jemma prepared all the bits of the trifle by hand, and yet included tins of mandarins. Fascinating; we used to have tinned mandarins for Xmas, as a special treat.
Secondly, although the original recipe looks fiendishly complicated, it was designed to be ridiculolusly simple as well.
Buy the lemon Swiss Roll, mix some orange / lemon jelly, buy some amaretti biscuits, a flask of whipped cream and some trendy slices of white chocolate with fruit in them. Prep time - 20 minutes instead of 2 hours. Brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom