Jubilee Special Edition Foods

So just in case you hadn´t heard, the winning entry for the Queen´s Platinum Jubilee Pud has been announced:
Lemon Swiss Roll and Amaretti Trifle
Invented by Jemma Melvin.View attachment 85402
I don´t think I´ll be making it any day soon, but at least it wasn´t bread pudding.
Two things that impressed me, however. Firstly, that Jemma prepared all the bits of the trifle by hand, and yet included tins of mandarins. Fascinating; we used to have tinned mandarins for Xmas, as a special treat.
Secondly, although the original recipe looks fiendishly complicated, it was designed to be ridiculolusly simple as well.
Buy the lemon Swiss Roll, mix some orange / lemon jelly, buy some amaretti biscuits, a flask of whipped cream and some trendy slices of white chocolate with fruit in them. Prep time - 20 minutes instead of 2 hours. Brilliant!

Not crazy about white chocolate, but at least there are NO RAISINS!

So the Jubilee Weekend has kicked off in style. They reckon there were over 2,000,000 people in London yesterday, some crammed together watching the Trooping of the Colour (which I thought was absolutely splendid), others just enjoying the atmosphere. There were events all over the place, but mostly, people just went out and enjoyed themselves, eating and drinking. (Mostly the latter).
There was a huge concert in my local park this afternoon - probably 20-30,00 people - and evidently the hospitality industry is breathing a (albeit) brief sigh of relief.
Still haven´t had any Jubilee Pudding, thank God!

First of the PJ bits done, horseradish-mayonnaise for the roast beef sandwiches:

The Royal Channel popped up on my youtube page , so in commuting I could watch little clips of the events...the latest I had followed was the Queen , bless her, was too tired to attend an event, so she stayed in Windsor and watched it on TV...she does look blissful...at least to me...the most impressive moments were in a clip where we could hear her short, and honest comments on whatever was going on at that moment.
I had no idea until this thread there was special food, I should have supposed there was...I might googlize...and get me informed...thanks!

Back
Top Bottom