Jubilee Special Edition Foods

Surely, there are other things Brits eat for the Jubilee??? Something good? Perhaps???
I’ve been out looking at various London hotels/restaurants that are doing Jubilee afternoon teas this year, in the hopes of steali…er, borrowing an idea or two, and I really wanted to find someone making a special jubilee chicken salad, but they’re all making coronation chicken. I guess it’s just a way to honor the past.

I do know that Fortnum & Mason held a Platinum Pudding competition, but I don’t think the winner’s been announced yet.

I love cold, creamy chicken salad, typically on crackers or in a sandwich. Do you not like tuna salad sandwiches? Not much difference. I don't think I'd like curried tuna, though. Maybe coronation chicken could be served as a hot dip? Omit the mayo and use cream cheese instead.

Actually, I like tuna salad, as a salad or in sandwiches. Tuna has more intrinsic flavor. With or without a (mild curry blend) is fine by me.

I used to make chicken salad when I was a working lass. For that I just made a bed of salad things and raw veggies, and laid in strips of boneless skinless chicken thighs (the latter, cooked, of course). No goopy stuff. And, actually, no curry either. Used a simple balsamic or otherwise vinaigrette.

Tuna did need a mixing-in of mayonnaise. Some chopped dill pickles and possibly chopped celery for crunch.

Coronation chicken may well INDEED be good as a hot dip as you describe here! I could try that. (Although I doubt I will be celebrating the Jubilee - don't dislike the royals (most of them), but they're just not part of anything I'm particularly interested in.)

Actually, I like tuna salad, as a salad or in sandwiches. Tuna has more intrinsic flavor. With or without a (mild curry blend) is fine by me.

I used to make chicken salad when I was a working lass. For that I just made a bed of salad things and raw veggies, and laid in strips of boneless skinless chicken thighs (the latter, cooked, of course). No goopy stuff. And, actually, no curry either. Used a simple balsamic or otherwise vinaigrette.

Tuna did need a mixing-in of mayonnaise. Some chopped dill pickles and possibly chopped celery for crunch.

Coronation chicken may well INDEED be good as a hot dip as you describe here! I could try that. (Although I doubt I will be celebrating the Jubilee - don't dislike the royals (most of them), but they're just not part of anything I'm particularly interested in.)
Well we aren't as British as TR is, lol.

I make chicken salads as you described only with grilled or seared breast meat, topped with bacon and vinaigrette.

Well we aren't as British as TR is, lol.

I make chicken salads as you described only with grilled or seared breast meat, topped with bacon and vinaigrette.
I like coronation chicken! I’ll likely make it and just make more of the other sandwiches I’m already making. MrsT can eat one chicken one, profess that she doesn’t like it, then double up on the roast beef with horseradish cream cheese. :laugh:

I like coronation chicken! I’ll likely make it and just make more of the other sandwiches I’m already making. MrsT can eat one chicken one, profess that she doesn’t like it, then double up on the roast beef with horseradish cream cheese. :laugh:
I think I would like coronation chicken, I've never tried it but the ingredients are all things I like.

To further clarify, i was just suggesting modifications to MC as she doesn't like cold, creamy chicken salad. I do!

Last edited:
Probably off topic, but British anyways.... When I was on tour in Scotland in 1996, we stopped at a cafe or something with decidedly a British ambiance. A tablemate ordered the chicken salad. They served her half a chicken cut longitudinally (small, about Cornish game hen sized) that had been roasted, atop a bed of lettuce. The woman was surprised - from that I'd thought that there was no such thing as a creamy-based chicken salad in the UK as a typical state of events.

Is/was this a frequent occurrence in the UK? I could have eaten that with pleasure.

Probably off topic, but British anyways.... When I was on tour in Scotland in 1996, we stopped at a cafe or something with decidedly a British ambiance. A tablemate ordered the chicken salad. They served her half a chicken cut longitudinally (small, about Cornish game hen sized) that had been roasted, atop a bed of lettuce. The woman was surprised - from that I'd thought that there was no such thing as a creamy-based chicken salad in the UK as a typical state of events.

Is/was this a frequent occurrence in the UK? I could have eaten that with pleasure.
I have no idea, but sounds good!

The Fortnum & Mason Platinum Pudding prize will be announce in mid- May on BBC1.
If anyone comes up with a bread pudding, I shall be sick on Pall Mall...
Apparently the 5,000 entries have been whittled down to 5.
I imagine there will be a frenzy of foodie creations over the next month, with every chef and wannabe cook coming up with Platinum Chicken, Platinum Grouse, Balmoral Platinum Pheasant Rissoles and Lizzie´s Sandringham Shortbread.
And I dread to think what the Chain restaurants will unearth...

If anyone comes up with a bread pudding, I shall be sick on Pall Mall...
Apparently the 5,000 entries have been whittled down to 5.
I imagine there will be a frenzy of foodie creations over the next month, with every chef and wannabe cook coming up with Platinum Chicken, Platinum Grouse, Balmoral Platinum Pheasant Rissoles and Lizzie´s Sandringham Shortbread.
And I dread to think what the Chain restaurants will unearth...
I heard it will be a rice pudd lol.

Last edited:

I've not come across this particular chicken salad, using half a roast chicken (poussin). Do you mean the salad had a creamy dressing? I sometimes serve cold slices of chicken with creamy dressings. Like this:

Really there is no such thing as typical UK food. We're a melting pot of different cultures and cuisines. Coronation chicken salad is a rather dowdy old fashioned concoction which I doubt most folk here have even heard of, unless they are over a certain age. I've never eaten it!

Coronation chicken salad is a rather dowdy old fashioned concoction which I doubt most folk here have even heard of, unless they are over a certain age. I've never eaten it!
Me neither.
I think it was a Women´s Institute recipe for members of the Women´s Institute. I can´t imagine eating a cold chicken dish tarted up with mango chutney and curry powder.
Yuk and double yuk.

Me neither.
I think it was a Women´s Institute recipe for members of the Women´s Institute. I can´t imagine eating a cold chicken dish tarted up with mango chutney and curry powder.
Yuk and double yuk.
Mango chutney, I thought it was supposed to have apricots?

I´ve looked up the "original" recipe on several sites.
Some say apricot halves, some say apricot jam.
Basically, it´s cooked chicken with a curried mayonnaise & cream sauce. Some of the recipes I looked at said the chicken was cooked in red wine, tomato purée, onions, etc. - but basically it´s a chicken salad with curried mayonnaise.
Later (ie. post - 1953) people started doing their own thing, just like they did with fettucine Alfredo. Added mango chutney, spicy pickles, sultanas, dried prunes, dates, etc.

Back
Top Bottom