July 4th 2023 Foods

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
11:05 PM
Anyone (mainly US, I assume) care to share their July 4th menu?

I just talked to MrsT, and we’ve decided on:

Vegetables, chips, and dip
Cheese
Brats and kraut
Macaroni salad
Corn-on-the-cob
Peach crisp/crumble (or pie)
Beer and some kind of summery cocktail

What’re other folks planning on?

I haven't given it much thought, yet. That's days away. I don't plan that far out. :okay:

My sister is grilling some hot dogs and corn on the cob for herself and my mom. I may do the same. Or, may go upscale and cook a steak over charcoal. Either way, a potato salad may be on the menu as a side.

CD

Anyone (mainly US, I assume) care to share their July 4th menu?

I just talked to MrsT, and we’ve decided on:

Vegetables, chips, and dip
Cheese
Brats and kraut
Macaroni salad
Corn-on-the-cob
Peach crisp/crumble (or pie)
Beer and some kind of summery cocktail

What’re other folks planning on?
I'm flying to Houston on July 3 and taking my SIL to the airport (so she can go see her mom in Puerto Rico) July 4th, so I will be cooking for myself. I likely will not do anything special since it's just me and the dogs. Hopefully my SIL will put her shoes away so that her 2-year-old (dog) doesn't eat them, LOL.

Looks like rain all weekend here. I am making a large pot of Bolognese sauce for my husband to eat while I am gone. He could eat pasta every day with no complaints. Also making him some chicken soup and not sure what else. He will survive for 2 weeks, I suppose. If he gets tired of eating whatever I make he can go down to his mom's and eat dinner with them a couple of times. He's unlikely to go out to eat or go to a fast food restaurant.

Last edited:
It my edlest's birthday on the 4th so I'll be making whatever he requests. Birthdays give you carte blanche over the days menu. Usually he requests kedgeree for breakfast or a full english with the kedgeree made up for eating later.

I suspect he may go for steak and blue cheese sauce for lunch but he often surprises me with a left field request!

It my edlest's birthday on the 4th so I'll be making whatever he requests. Birthdays give you carte blanche over the days menu. Usually he requests kedgeree for breakfast or a full english with the kedgeree made up for eating later.

I suspect he may go for steak and blue cheese sauce for lunch but he often surprises me with a left field request!

Ah, kedgeree, a dish from another former British colony. :D

CD

:roflmao:Ah, kedgeree, a dish from another former British colony. :D

CD
Indeedy. The British ruling elite (in common with most countries psycho ruling elite) had no compunction about stealing anything from anyone, they did pick up a few nice dishes along the way though :roflmao:

It's my mom's birthday, I made a carrot cake (her favorite) this weekend in her honor. Otherwise no plans because I'm obviously not into July 4th for the same reasons as most here but it always is an important day for me due to my mom's birthday.
357376049_6022424537884059_595464955940534854_n.jpg

Love, love love kedgeree! Here is my vegetarian rendition: Recipe - Kedgeree with Sprouted Matki

But of course, I also love it with smoked haddock.

Yep. Fish & chips, Spag Bol, tikka masala and Doner Kebabs 😆 😆 😆
Mind you, Merica does pizzas, Mac & Cheese, burgers and barbacoa...
You are going to get smacked by MypinchofItaly LOL. My husband's of Italian descent so I wouldn't ever dare to put Bolognese over spaghetti!

Where does macaroni and cheese come from originally? And I thought we invented the hamburger? I think most pizza in the US is nothing like that found in Italy...

Its Sunday the second here. Roast beef dinner tonight. Tomorrow leftovers.
July 4th we dont really celebrate it here but I saw a sign the other day saying fresh bluff oysters. So I. Shouting myself that July 4th. Usually around $35 a doz deep fried. Although I eat raw with malt vinegar and pepper.

Russ

Yep. Fish & chips, Spag Bol, tikka masala and Doner Kebabs 😆 😆 😆
Mind you, Merica does pizzas, Mac & Cheese, burgers and barbacoa...

One popular story is that Thomas Jefferson had Mac and cheese in France, and introduced it to America. I don't know if that is truth or legend. Burgers have a very foggy history.

I watched a YouTube video just yesterday about the history of the Hamburger. There are a few states that claim to have made the first ones (including Texas), but no clear winner. Ground beef was around for thousands of years, but making a patty, frying it and placing it on a bread roll is thought to be an American thing. Germans has "Hamburg steak," but it was eaten as a steak. Same with Salisbury steak.

CD

Frisco Roughriders (baseball) must have had a home game tonight, because I heard fireworks, something they do after Saturday night home games. Tonight it was extra long -- close to 30 minutes. I'm guessing it is because of the Fourth of July weekend.

CD

You are going to get smacked by @MypinchofItaly LOL
Fortunately, spag Bol is not even close to a classic Ragu Bolognese. Not in a million years!
Fish & Chips, which I thought just MUST have been classic Brit food, was apparently introduced by Jewish refugees who came from Holland.
Chicken Tikka Masala is an English version of Murgh Makhani - Butter Chicken - which was actually invented in Delhi, in the 1950s, when (so I am informed), Hindus began eating chicken.
sounds like time for a new thread: Common Food Myths!

Back
Top Bottom