July 4th 2023 Foods

Frisco Roughriders (baseball) must have had a home game tonight, because I heard fireworks, something they do after Saturday night home games. Tonight it was extra long -- close to 30 minutes. I'm guessing it is because of the Fourth of July weekend.

CD
Fireworks in our area started Friday night and will continue through Tuesday night, and likely into the next weekend.

It’s been very loud around here.

Fireworks in our area started Friday night and will continue through Tuesday night, and likely into the next weekend.

Yeah we were surprised since it was rainy off and on and cloudy yesterday, but heard them last night. Raining here today too.

Are you talking about organized, professional fireworks, or people around you?

Only the professional shows are allowed in Frisco. If you are even caught with fireworks, it is a minimum $300 fine. And... they really enforce it!

CD

You are going to get smacked by MypinchofItaly LOL. My husband's of Italian descent so I wouldn't ever dare to put Bolognese over spaghetti!

Where does macaroni and cheese come from originally? And I thought we invented the hamburger? I think most pizza in the US is nothing like that found in Italy...

No it’s ok to put Bolognese Ragù over spaghetti, I do this and so many Italians although it is not the first kind of pasta we think to pair with it. Fettuccine or short pasta ( and gnocchi too of course) come to mind first, but spaghetti is ok and it works well.

Last edited:
No it’s ok to put Bolognese Ragù over spaghetti, I do this and so many Italians although it is not the first kind pasta we think to pair with it. Fettuccine or short pasta ( and gnocchi too of course) come to mind first, but spaghetti is ok and it works well.

Here, people do "spaghetti with meat sauce," which is just ground beef in spaghetti sauce, usually from a jar. Ragu here is a popular brand of spaghetti sauce. :laugh:

1688320033728.png

It is usually served with the meat sauce on top of the cooked spaghetti.

1688320263367.png

CD

Are you talking about organized, professional fireworks, or people around you?
Both, and I’m not exaggerating when I say the fireworks from a couple of the neighbors rival that of the nearby towns/cities. They’ll go from dusk to 2AM or so.

You’re allowed to buy some pretty potent fireworks in Ohio, you just have to sign a waiver saying you’ll blast them off outside the state. It’s not really enforced.

Both, and I’m not exaggerating when I say the fireworks from a couple of the neighbors rival that of the nearby towns/cities. They’ll go from dusk to 2AM or so.

You’re allowed to buy some pretty potent fireworks in Ohio, you just have to sign a waiver saying you’ll blast them off outside the state. It’s not really enforced.

1688320654806.png

CD

No it’s ok to put Bolognese Ragù over spaghetti, I do this and so many Italians although it is not the first kind of pasta we think to pair with it. Fettuccine or short pasta ( and gnocchi too of course) come to mind first, but spaghetti is ok and it works well.
Yes I was just teasing him, LOL. My husband is 3rd generation Italian and his family doesn't do it, so I just follow their rules because I have 0% Italian heritage and what they say goes for Italian food. :)

Edit: I meant to say Italian American.

Last edited:
You wouldn't believe how much sugar is in that stuff! A 1/2 cup serving has 7 grams of sugar. Ugh.

Trust me, I can perfectly believe it 😂
Oh dear… basically is sugar with some tomato sauce..
This happens also here with some canned stuff like that one, so sugary that you could spread it on a toasted bread with butter and jam and have a coffee too.

Pork tenderloin sandwiches on ciabatta, potato salad and loaded potato soup (recipe elsewhere on the site.) We have a lot of potatoes in the pantry. Twice baked potatoes tomorrow. Who knows the following day. I'm open to suggestions. I am tempted to try potatoes anna, something I've never made before. :)

So here's the official version of Bolognese sauce:
Ragù Classico Bolognese,
I'm intrigued by the bacon and the milk. Does anyone here actually make it like this?
Yeah, mine does not have bacon in it or white wine. I always use red wine (because my husband and his cousins make dry red wines each year and that's what we have) and I use half n half, not milk, because I always have half n half on hand but rarely buy milk (once a year maybe). I often use lamb, beef, and Italian sausage. I always get compliments on it. I have been calling it Bolognese to my husband but to everyone else in the family who eats it I just refer to it as "meat sauce"--so I guess in reality it's not Bolognese after all, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom