July 4th 2023 Foods

Ok, finishing up the 4th foods with peach-rosemary cobbler:

IMG_4943.jpeg
IMG_4950.jpeg
IMG_4951.jpeg

Rosemary and peaches is something I would have never thought to put together. How did it work out?

CD
Wonderfully - the rosemary is blended into the biscuity topping.

You know how most peach cobblers use a lot of white sugar in the filling? This one just used about a quarter cup of honey, and it really worked.

Well, I was going to grill (bbq) some corn, but I took the vacuum sealed corn out of the fridge, and the bag had blown up like a balloon. I don't know why this happened. The corn must have created some kind of gas. Both bags were blown up. I tasted a kernel of corn, and it was very acidic. I tossed it.

View attachment 102076

So, it will be sausages with black beans and rice, instead. It's a good thing I'll be sleeping alone, especially now that I don't have a dog to blame it on.

CD
Good idea, though unfortunate the situation was. I once had food poisoning from corn, won't ever eat dubious corn again!

So here's the official version of Bolognese sauce:
Ragù Classico Bolognese,
I'm intrigued by the bacon and the milk. Does anyone here actually make it like this?
I've never made a Bolognese sauce so today will be the day. Mine cannot have beef since my wife is allergic to it nor celery which I can't abide personally. I don't have papardelle or even spaghetti in the pantry. I do have bacon and milk. I will put together a version that works for me. I will use ground pork instead of ground beef (should pair well with the bacon :laugh:. I will use a standard sofrito and put it all on penne rigate. Perhaps I will call it picadillo Bolognese or something like that. Sorry I couldn't do the official recipe from the Accademia Italiana della Cucina. Cooking is like that.

I've never made a Bolognese sauce so today will be the day. Mine cannot have beef since my wife is allergic to it nor celery which I can't abide personally. I don't have papardelle or even spaghetti in the pantry. I do have bacon and milk. I will put together a version that works for me. I will use ground pork instead of ground beef (should pair well with the bacon :laugh:. I will use a standard sofrito and put it all on penne rigate. Perhaps I will call it picadillo Bolognese or something like that. Sorry I couldn't do the official recipe from the Accademia Italiana della Cucina. Cooking is like that.
Oh it will be great with ground pork! I often use beef, lamb and pork (Italian sausage) so yeah, mine is definitely not authentic but delicious just the same. I'll have to quit calling it bolognese I suppose, lol.

Oh it will be great with ground pork! I often use beef, lamb and pork (Italian sausage) so yeah, mine is definitely not authentic but delicious just the same. I'll have to quit calling it bolognese I suppose, lol.
Thanks for the support. I noticed I don't have carrot either so I will throw in some asparagus. Why not. I'm looking forward to my picadillo Bolognese dinner.

Thanks for the support. I noticed I don't have carrot either so I will throw in some asparagus. Why not. I'm looking forward to my picadillo Bolognese dinner.
I think the carrot adds a natural swestness and that's why it's used.

I think the carrot adds a natural swestness and that's why it's used.
It went pretty well. My wife liked it and so did I. I made enough to serve dinner and put two more dinners in the freezer. Next time I will likely add a little vinegar or worcestershire for added acid. The sauce needed a bit more bite. I will cut the amount of tomato sauce in half and replace it with chicken stock. It was a bit too thick after cooking enough to reduce by 1/4. I'm not sure Penne is the best choice for the pasta. I'm thinking I'll get some fetuccine for the next serving. I think carrots are a good approach and i'll get some for the next batch. I couldn't even taste the asparagus. That was a waste. I think we may end up with a standard version of the sauce for us with a little more tweaking. Nice sauce.

Sorry this pics late to the thread, for some reason pics from my macBook load but remain undisplayed and unable to be inserted 🤷‍♀️ I’m not fond of doing this stuff from my phone, too small for my ageing eyes 😂

The Kedgeree from the 4th of July
I did extra eggs so it could be re-topped when the first layer was gone.
IMG_7913.jpeg

Sorry this pics late to the thread, for some reason pics from my macBook load but remain undisplayed and unable to be inserted 🤷‍♀️ I’m not fond of doing this stuff from my phone, too small for my ageing eyes 😂

The Kedgeree from the 4th of July
I did extra eggs so it could be re-topped when the first layer was gone.View attachment 102349

Just needs a few sliced up hot dogs. :wink:

CD

Back
Top Bottom