Hungry Man

Local time
10:30 PM
Website
www.youtube.com
KFC Style Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken
View: https://youtu.be/azarDUAPzk8

Ingredients:
  • 500 g chicken thighs (drumsticks and whole legs)
  • 1 cup full cream milk
  • 2 tbsp yogurt
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 cup all purpose flour (plain)
  • 1 cup cornflour (corn starch)
  • Vegetable oil, for frying
Instructions
  • In a mixing bowl, add 1 cup cream milk, 2 tbsp yogurt, 2 egg whites, 1 tsp salt, mix
  • In a small bow, mix paprika, cayenne, onion, garlic powder, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp brown sugar
  • Dip chicken pieces to spice mix and add them to the marinade
  • Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
  • Add 1 cup flour, ½ cup corn starch and 1 tsp baking powder to the remaining spice mix and mix all
  • Heat up the oil to 160 / 170 C
  • Coat marinated chickens with spice flour mix
  • Repeat the same with marinade and spice mix again
  • Fry 15 minutes until golden brown
  • Place on a cooling rack and serve

I googled "full cream milk" and it looks like a substitute would be milk and butter. Does that sound about right? If not, what would you suggest as a substitute if I can't find full cream milk?

KFC Style Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken
View: https://youtu.be/azarDUAPzk8

Ingredients:
  • 500 g chicken thighs (drumsticks and whole legs)
  • 1 cup full cream milk
  • 2 tbsp yogurt
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 cup all purpose flour (plain)
  • 1 cup cornflour (corn starch)
  • Vegetable oil, for frying
Instructions
  • In a mixing bowl, add 1 cup cream milk, 2 tbsp yogurt, 2 egg whites, 1 tsp salt, mix
  • In a small bow, mix paprika, cayenne, onion, garlic powder, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp brown sugar
  • Dip chicken pieces to spice mix and add them to the marinade
  • Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
  • Add 1 cup flour, ½ cup corn starch and 1 tsp baking powder to the remaining spice mix and mix all
  • Heat up the oil to 160 / 170 C
  • Coat marinated chickens with spice flour mix
  • Repeat the same with marinade and spice mix again
  • Fry 15 minutes until golden brown
  • Place on a cooling rack and serve
I printed your recipe today. We're going to skip the salmon soup rerun and change it to these yummies! Thanks for sharing, Hungry Man. I'll post a pic if I don't burn the house; I don't own a deep fryer.

I'm going to guess and say you could use anything from whole milk to whipping cream (not heavy cream), though I'd use buttermilk... :whistling:

Buttermilk makes a great marinade for chicken. The acids in the buttermilk tenderize the meat. Just don't marinate the chicken for too long (2-4 hours), or the texture of the meat will suffer.

CD

Buttermilk makes a great marinade for chicken. The acids in the buttermilk tenderize the meat. Just don't marinate the chicken for too long (2-4 hours), or the texture of the meat will suffer.

CD

I've added white vinegar to milk to make buttermilk but I've only done that for cornbread. I'm not sure it's a good idea for a chicken soak though. I usually don't buy it because I never use it all up but I might do that to try this recipe.

I printed your recipe today. We're going to skip the salmon soup rerun and change it to these yummies! Thanks for sharing, Hungry Man. I'll post a pic if I don't burn the house; I don't own a deep fryer.

A Dutch oven works great for deep frying. You can also shallow fry chicken -- very common with Southern cooks. However, it is messy. That's grease around my cast iron skillet.

Chiken01.jpg

CD

I've added white vinegar to milk to make buttermilk but I've only done that for cornbread. I'm not sure it's a good idea for a chicken soak though. I usually don't buy it because I never use it all up but I might do that to try this recipe.
Buy that buttermilk. Then I'll give you some ideas on what else to do with it. I buy it every couple of weeks.

A Dutch oven works great for deep frying. You can also shallow fry chicken -- very common with Southern cooks. However, it is messy. That's grease around my cast iron skillet.

View attachment 49788

CD
Thanks for the tip, caseydog. Luckily I've deep fried food before (e.g. doughnuts, churros, funnel cakes and chicken). It's just the lack of a deep fryer, the mess you pictured (and the lack of a 2€ oil thermometer) that I'm concerned about. I'll buy a therm' tomorrow and fry the chicken in a large steel pan.

Back
Top Bottom