Recipe Korean Breafast: Gyeran-bap with Avocado

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
7:02 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Bap is rice in Korean (think Bibimbap). Gyeran is eggs. (Someday I think I’ll know a bunch of words in a variety of languages around the world, but they’ll all be food-related.)

korean-brekkie.jpg

This recipe comes from Aaron and Claire’s You Tube channel, from a video named “4 Quick and Easy Korean Breakfasts that even a College Student Can Make”. For a breakfast, I generally prefer not to get too complicated.

In this recipe the rice is listed as already cooked. You can cook it in the morning (use a rice suitable for sushi), which in itself will take time – use that time to prep for work or whatever — OR, if you have a rice cooker with a warming function, cook it up the night before, and leave it on the warming setting overnight. This will avoid the texture that says, “make me into fried rice!” that comes from rice refrigerated overnight – which is the perfect texture for fried rice, but not for this dish. Granted, this rice will be even better if you can cook it fresh, but sometimes schedules may make it a bit more tenuous for you. The difference is not so severe if you can keep it warmed in a closed rice cooker overnight. And it will still be warm enough to use.

Prep Time: 10 minutes, assuming you’ve cooked your rice!
Cook Time: 5 minutes.
Rest Time: Not needed.
Serves: 1.
Cuisine: Korean.
Leftovers: Not recommended. None of it will age well.

Gyeran-bap with Avocado

INGREDIENTS:

• 1/2 cup of finished cooked and warm sushi-style rice, cooked with a little salt, nothing else.
  • 1 egg.
  • 1-2 teaspoons cooking oil.
  • 1/2 avocado, sliced.
  • 1/2 green onion, the green parts, cut into thin slivers.
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari. (Or coconut aminos to be soy-free.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil.
  • A sprinkling of handy young greens, of your choice. I chose cilantro, but it doesn’t need to be a seasoning.
METHOD:

Prep the rice as noted. Cook the egg in a skillet in the cooking oil, to the done-ness you prefer. Sunnyt side up is traditional.

Slice the half an avocado.

Assemble the dish: Lay down the rice, then drizzle over the soy sauce. tamari, or coconut aminos.

Lay on the avocado slices, the cooked egg, and the sprinkling of greens and/or cilantro.

Drizzle on the sesame oil.

Serve immediately and enjoy!

(Edited to fix a typo in measurment!)

Last edited:
Bap is rice in Korean (think Bibimbap). Gyeran is eggs. (Someday I think I’ll know a bunch of words in a variety of languages around the world, but they’ll all be food-related.)

View attachment 79103

This recipe comes from Aaron and Claire’s You Tube channel, from a video named “4 Quick and Easy Korean Breakfasts that even a College Student Can Make”. For a breakfast, I generally prefer not to get too complicated.

In this recipe the rice is listed as already cooked. You can cook it in the morning (use a rice suitable for sushi), which in itself will take time – use that time to prep for work or whatever — OR, if you have a rice cooker with a warming function, cook it up the night before, and leave it on the warming setting overnight. This will avoid the texture that says, “make me into fried rice!” that comes from rice refrigerated overnight – which is the perfect texture for fried rice, but not for this dish. Granted, this rice will be even better if you can cook it fresh, but sometimes schedules may make it a bit more tenuous for you. The difference is not so severe if you can keep it warmed in a closed rice cooker overnight. And it will still be warm enough to use.

Prep Time: 10 minutes, assuming you’ve cooked your rice!
Cook Time: 5 minutes.
Rest Time: Not needed.
Serves: 1.
Cuisine: Korean.
Leftovers: Not recommended. None of it will age well.

Gyeran-bap with Avocado

INGREDIENTS:

• 12 cup of finished cooked and warm sushi-style rice, cooked with a little salt, nothing else.
  • 1 egg.
  • 1-2 teaspoons cooking oil.
  • 1/2 avocado, sliced.
  • 1/2 green onion, the green parts, cut into thin slivers.
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari. (Or coconut aminos to be soy-free.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil.
  • A sprinkling of handy young greens, of your choice. I chose cilantro, but it doesn’t need to be a seasoning.
METHOD:

Prep the rice as noted. Cook the egg in a skillet in the cooking oil, to the done-ness you prefer. Sunnyt side up is traditional.

Slice the half an avocado.

Assemble the dish: Lay down the rice, then drizzle over the soy sauce. tamari, or coconut aminos.

Lay on the avocado slices, the cooked egg, and the sprinkling of greens and/or cilantro.

Drizzle on the sesame oil.

Serve immediately and enjoy!
I am guessing you meant "1/2 cup" of rice, not 12.

Back
Top Bottom