SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:52 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I love chickpeas and have been using a lot of gram flour (chickpea flour) recently in various dosa that I make, but I have also been looking for other options and ways to use chickpeas.

Today I came across Socca (also known as Farinata, farina, fainá, torta di ceci or cecina, karantita and so on). It is basically an unleaven, non yeast flat bread or pancake but tastes yummy... and it is exceptionally easy to make.

Ingredients
1 cup of chickpea flour
1 cup of water
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp. olive oil
a pinch of salt

Method
Basically combine all the ingredients and if you want to, allow it to stand. Some recipes say allow time to stand, others don't... So far I haven't!
heat a skillet/large frying pan/griddle and add a touch of olive oil, add some or all of the mixture (depending on how thick you want it to be) and cook until well cooked, some recipes say turn it over, others say put the skillet in the oven... as you can see its a pretty easy and liberal recipe - I don't have an suitable oven so have settled for the turning it over approach.

One of the many places I have found a recipe for Socca from is here
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-socca-a-naturally-gluten-free-chickpea-flatbread-169513

Its so similar to the Indian chapati (also made with chickpea flour) but traditionally this is a thin pancake rather than a flatbread, I think?

but traditionally this is a thin pancake rather than a flatbread
It can be both depending on the thickness it is made and where in the world it is made.
A couple of days ago, I even came across someone claiming they 'created' it and advertising it as their own recipe! I put them straight.. :laugh: The guy (at least I think it was) was... Oh, probably can't say what I am thinking :scratchhead: That's a shame. Let's just say I corrected their error and pointed out politely to them that it was a centauries old recipe!

Well, its sad when people appropriate things. It has always happened but I think it might be more prevalent due to the internet. Possibly though, its always been thus except we wouldn't have known it! A wandering minstrel claims the song as his own. Who, in those former times, could have have proved it wasn't true?

Anyway, I love the taste of chapati flour in flatbread.

Last edited:
Well, its sad when people appropriate things. It has always happened but I think but it might more prevalent due to the internet. Possibly though, its always been thus except we wouldn't have known it! A wandering minstrel claims the song as his own. Who, in those former times, could have have proved it wasn't true?

Anyway, I love the taste of chapati flour in flatbread.
I don't mind if someone appropriates my recipes, but at least give credit or ask permission.
You will more than likely get a go for it.

Back
Top Bottom