Local time
7:07 AM
Lemon Chicken Egg Drop Soup:

full.jpg

Ingredients:

1) Chicken half breast - 1/2
2) Egg - 1
3) Rice - 1/8 cup dry
4) Chicken Bouillon - 2 cups or BTB (Better Than Boullion) - 2 tblspns.

NOTE: Add 2 cups of water, if using BTB.

5) Pearl onions, small - 6
6) Mixed vegetables - 1/4 cup
7) Lemon juice - 1/8 cup
8) Thyme - 1 tspn.
9) Marjoram - 1 tspn.
10) Rosemary - 1 tspn.

Procedure:

1) Chop up 1/4 chicken half breast into 1/4" pieces.
2) Remove tops and roots from pearl onions and then skin them.
3) Cook the rice and drain off the water.
4) In a pot, heat bouillon or BTB and water.
5) Add rice, chicken, pearl onions and mixed vegetables.

NOTE: Continue heating and stir often.

6) Add lemon juice.
7) Add spices.
8) Poke a small hole in the bottom of the egg.
9) Open up the hole, but not larger than the yolk diameter.

NOTE: Set the remains of the egg containing the yolk aside. Use it for some other purpose, hopefully, the same day.

10) Drip the egg white into the soup and continue to cook.

NOTE: Avoid allowing the egg white to goop out in long strings. Do your best to get small drops by using a knife or other utensil to break off those smaller pieces as the white comes out.

11) Ladle into soup bowl(s).
12) Serve.

Last edited:
I always think egg drop soup is a rather delicate and elegant dish. Most egg drop soups I've seen use the whole beaten raw egg dripped into the soup but I note you use only the white, which makes it even lighter. :okay:

I always think egg drop soup is a rather delicate and elegant dish. Most egg drop soups I've seen use the whole beaten raw egg dripped into the soup but I note you use only the white, which makes it even lighter. :okay:

I was influenced to use just the whites by a desire to keep the yolk flavor out of the soup and make the appearance, at least, lighter, if not the soup itself.

In the process of doing this soup, I found a rather unique and clean way to separate egg white and yolk, too. Punching a tiny hole and peeling it back to just big enough to let the white drip out, but not the yolk, worked surprisingly well. I have been a total klutz doing the separation the recommended way, and by using a tool for the purpose. This new method worked like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom