classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
11:01 AM
Lime and chilli fish cakes.jpg

About this recipe: These fish cakes are packed with flavour - lime, red chilli and coriander to be exact! These are easy to make and fantastic served with a sweet chilli mayo. Simply combine mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce to taste.

Ingredients
500g potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed (leave chunky)
500g cooked cod, flaked
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
1 tablespoon chopped red chilli
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
salt to taste
plain flour for dusting
olive oil for frying

Method
1.In a bowl, combine all ingredients except for the flour and olive oil.
2.Flour a clean work surface. Take 1 heaping tablespoon of the fish cake mixture, roll into a ball, then pat down into a flat patty. Dust lightly with flour.
3.Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Shallow fry the cakes until brown and crispy on both sides.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/17060/lime-and-chilli-fish-cakes.aspx?pn=1

I should have thought of this the fish cake lover I am. I'm here trying to remember if I ever made any. Maybe just maybe I'll submit a Bajan fishcake recipe.

View attachment 2344

About this recipe: These fish cakes are packed with flavour - lime, red chilli and coriander to be exact! These are easy to make and fantastic served with a sweet chilli mayo. Simply combine mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce to taste.

Ingredients
500g potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed (leave chunky)
500g cooked cod, flaked
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
1 tablespoon chopped red chilli
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
salt to taste
plain flour for dusting
olive oil for frying

Method
1.In a bowl, combine all ingredients except for the flour and olive oil.
2.Flour a clean work surface. Take 1 heaping tablespoon of the fish cake mixture, roll into a ball, then pat down into a flat patty. Dust lightly with flour.
3.Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Shallow fry the cakes until brown and crispy on both sides.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/17060/lime-and-chilli-fish-cakes.aspx?pn=1
Lovely. Straightforward and very similar to something I make myself. You can substitute tinned salmon or tuna for the cod if you want a real 'store-cupboard' recipe!.

I love cod, but it's not prevalent here, so I might have to do the substitution, although I think I will look to see if I can at least find some frozen cod somewhere. I've been thinking a lot about it lately, since I usually eat more fish during Lent, and I grew up eating cod. I like the idea of combining the cod with lime and chili, because it's like mixing the culture where I grew up and the culture where I now live, so I'll have to try making these at some point.

Lime, chili and coriander are probably three of my favorite flavors...the spice, the zing - it's all good! I don't know about finding cod here - I'm sure it's relatively easy to find once I work out the Japanese characters for cod on the supermarket shelves :laugh: supermarket trips can take me a little while over here, trying to decipher exactly what I'm buying!

I have made plenty of fish cakes but they were nothing like this. These looks so good and I really like the choice of ingredients that are in them. It would make for an unique flavour.

Those do look delicious. It looks like something I would enjoy. I just recently started eating cod, and I was surprised it was so good. Try it with lemon and butter it is fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom