Making soup from frozen spinach or broccoli

Amateur1

Local time
11:18 PM
I have some frozen spinach and broccoli and want to use them to make some vegetable soup. Is it best to cook from frozen or thaw for a few hours?

If you're making a soup, then frozen spinach is one of the few things that's as good as fresh spinach. Frozen broccoli should be okay, too, for a soup. I'd say you can put them straight into the pot, frozen, and you should be fine. They will defrost with the heat of the stock. You could microwave them for a minute before hand, just to break up any clumps, if you prefer. I've seen frozen spinach turn into a green brick if it's been in there for too long. :)

If you're making a soup, then frozen spinach is one of the few things that's as good as fresh spinach. Frozen broccoli should be okay, too, for a soup. I'd say you can put them straight into the pot, frozen, and you should be fine. They will defrost with the heat of the stock. You could microwave them for a minute before hand, just to break up any clumps, if you prefer. I've seen frozen spinach turn into a green brick if it's been in there for too long. :)

I just put frozen spinach in a bowl of room temperature water for about a minute, and it comes apart fine. Any fruits or veggies that get stuck together in the freezer will generally come apart in room temperature water.

CD

I've found this recipe at the link below. I have 400g of lentils. How many grams of frozen spinach should I use? Should I simply double the other ingredients?

Vegan Spinach Soup Recipe With Lentils - Give Recipe

1 and ½ tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried mint
salt to taste
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
5 cups spinach, chopped
5 cups water
1 tablespoon lemon juice

I'm trying to work out if I should use the same for frozen as fresh by weight.

Last edited:
How is your frozen spinach packaged? Here, it comes in cubes...You can use as much or as little as you want, really..It depends on how much you like the stuff..I would just start adding some and decide by how it looks to you..you be the judge..it's you that's eating it..

It's packages as cylinders shapes rather than cubes. I'm trying to work out if I should use the same for frozen as fresh by weight.
When I follow a recipe it makes about 6 portions. Since I live alone, I want to try and get it right first time.

It's packages as cylinders shapes rather than cubes. I'm trying to work out if I should use the same for frozen as fresh by weight.
When I follow a recipe it makes about 6 portions. Since I live alone, I want to try and get it right first time.
It is compressed when frozen...I'd start with one cylinder and start stirring... it should break apart pretty quickly and you can judge if it looks like it is enough..I can't help you with translating the weights from fresh to frozen, I don't cook that way..good luck..

The rule of thumb is a 10 ounce package of frozen spinach (the standard size) equals a pound of fresh. And, a cup = about 1 ounce.

But, I’d honestly still do what Rocklobster suggests. Spinach integrates so quickly that you can always add more as you go. And, I tend to go heavy when it comes to vegetables that are the “star” of a recipe. I’d probably throw the whole package in (so, about double of what the recipe shows), but that’s just me. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom