McD’s Happy Meals for Adults

Given my fondness for McD’s fries, and my fondness for beer, if they put the two together here, I’d probably have a nervous breakdown of joy.
Yes, some countries have beer in their Mickey D's. However, I really do NOT understand what the thrill of the skinny fries could be. They are either over cooked or undercooked, which is understandable as they are so skinny/scrawny it is hard to have them come out right. Give me some good steak fries any day!

It’s purely a marketing thing, allowing adults to relive pleasant memories of being kids and getting a Happy Meal.
Fortunately, where I grew up, my pleasant memories were the home made burgers my parents made. Never saw a McDonalds until my very late teens. My taste buds never had a chance to imprint on that.

Fortunately, where I grew up, my pleasant memories were the home made burgers my parents made. Never saw a McDonalds until my very late teens. My taste buds never had a chance to imprint on that.

I was in college by the time the Happy Meal came about, so I never had one as a kid. We ate homemade burgers growing up, too, but, the burgers were made with the cheapest ground beef available, and like all the food my parents made, overcooked. They were seriously dry.

CD

McDonalds appeared in my town in about 1980. Before that, we had something called "Wimpy" - which was exactly as it sounds. I was, of course, spoiled, because I studied in London, and we had the original, phenomenal, Hard Rock Cafe in Picadilly.
The first McDs in Venezuela was 1985. A huge, unbelievable success: the place was packed to the roof for months. We had several birthday parties for our kids, and our friends kids, in McDs.

Yeah I am sure that's how it works. I have fond memories of MCDONALDS because my grandmother took me there.

But I didn't eat other fast food until adulthood and never liked any of it, except MCDONALDS.

Fortunately, where I grew up, my pleasant memories were the home made burgers my parents made.
For me (and I imagine a lot of kids were/are this way), the allure of something is that it’s not “the usual.”

Our burgers were homemade, from our own beef we raised, with fresh from the garden tomatoes, etc, but I could that any old time - I wanted that burger they showed on the tee-vee and would have gladly traded 10 of my mom’s burgers for one of those!

That’s marketing for you. :laugh:

For me (and I imagine a lot of kids were/are this way), the allure of something is that it’s not “the usual.”

Our burgers were homemade, from our own beef we raised, with fresh from the garden tomatoes, etc, but I could that any old time - I wanted that burger they showed on the tee-vee and would have gladly traded 10 of my mom’s burgers for one of those!

Yeah that too, my parents fed me a vegan macrobiotic diet . Which they stopped at age 10 because the doctor told them I was malnourished..

I was in college by the time the Happy Meal came about, so I never had one as a kid. We ate homemade burgers growing up, too, but, the burgers were made with the cheapest ground beef available, and like all the food my parents made, overcooked. They were seriously dry.

CD
I don't recollect the quality of ground beef they used (as although I was in groceries with them, I didn't have say. Not that as a kid I would have noticed. But mu parents hated seriously dry ground beef burgers, so they never made them that way. In fact, the McD's ones were to me seriously dry....

I don't recall McD ads on TV back when I was a kid. There were a lot of things like the cereal Froot Loops or Capt'n Crunch which I tried because I had to - yes, on TV - and I disliked them even back then.

We only had tomatoes on our burgers when it was tomato season. Early on, we all lived in an apartment in NYC - but when the family moved to the suburbs, we had seasonally good tomatoes. I don't think I tried a McD burger until I was in college. My parents never had one until the 80s - and they couldn't finish theirs.

As for the allure of the not usual - I had plenty of that at home. Snake, sweetbreads, heart, tongue, okra... I was quite satiated eating and liking foods I learned not to tell my fellow classmates about...

Ok, I will admit, I tried the McRib sandwich and actually LIKED that one. Earlier today I caught an ad for that, with something that said that McD's will be serving that until November 20th, although not all locations. I haven't had one of those since the late 80s or possibly early 90s. I may well go see if after all these years (and probable recipe modifications) if I still like those. Yes, horridly unhealthy, but I am truly interested.

Back
Top Bottom