Recipe Meyer Lemon Curd

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
8:54 PM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
I love Meyer Lemons as they're not as tart as a Lisbon Lemon that are commonly found in Supermarkets.
I use this recipe as a filling for Lemon Meringue Pie and Lemon Bar Cookies.

My Meyer Lemon Curd

This recipe makes approximately 2 pints

Ingredients:

12 Egg Yolks

2 C. granulated Sugar

6 Meyer Lemons, juiced, approx. 1 C. of juice

1 C. Butter, diced into small pieces, about 1/2 inch

Zest from the Meyer Lemons

Method:

In a metal or glass bowl (heat-proof), whisk the egg yolks and sugar.
Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
Pour in the juice and stir continually with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon for about 10-15 minutes or until the mixture becomes quite thick.
Make sure not to allow the mixture to boil.
Add the butter and stir until melted and well incorporated.
Whisk in the reserved zest.

Carefully pour the curd into sterilized jars, best to use half pints or smaller mason jars, leaving ½ inch of head space.
With a damp paper towel, wipe the rim of the jars and seal with the lids and rings.

If you would like to ‘put up’ your bounty for later consumption, process them in boiling water for 20 minutes, allow to cool overnight and store.

Should you not feel so inclined to ‘can’ your curd, simply cool and then refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

meyer-lemon-curd-012.jpg

*Cook's Note: save those Egg Whites for later, they freeze well.

Btw my trees both fruit at different times. 1 I'm picking daily but the other is still green. Weeks if not months away. Both in full sun, 1 in front and 1 in back of house. Cant work that out???

Russ
Different soil makeup in the back versus the front?

I should go out and take pics of our four main trees. Two in the back are massive, two in the front are puny. Same trees, planted on the same day.

Builder took all the topsoil from the front of all the houses he built in our neighborhood for his own use, left it in the back, plus our leach field drains to the back. Subsequently, grass grows like mad in the back, but it’s scrubby in the front.

Different soil makeup in the back versus the front?

I should go out and take pics of our four main trees. Two in the back are massive, two in the front are puny. Same trees, planted on the same day.

Builder took all the topsoil from the front of all the houses he built in our neighborhood for his own use, left it in the back, plus our leach field drains to the back. Subsequently, grass grows like mad in the back, but it’s scrubby in the front.

Out 2 trees are
Front here when we moved here 32? Years ago. No fruit for 22 years so we bought 1 for the back.
Back 10 years old bought just after quakes here and fruited 2 years after.
Front one started fruiting just after quakes as well. So from nothing to plenty.
Friends regularly grab lemons from front tree when leaving.

Russ

When ever I see Meyer Lemons at the green grocer, I buy a pound.
I'll zest and juice them, put it in to zip-top freezer baggies and save it for later in the deep freeze.
Yep, I did something similar just recently work over ripe limes from a 'local' supermarket. They were selling them off a bag of 8-10 yellowing limes for $1. I bought them all and juiced the whole lot a few days later. Frozen them in ice cube trays after measuring out 15ml with a syringe (very easily obtained in Australia and readily available in any pharmacy). A syringe was easier when dealing with over a litre of lime juice. So 1 ice cube is 1tbsp in continental money. (An Aussie tablespoon is actually 20ml!)

I leave my lemons on the tree because they stay fresh much longer. Mine fruits twice s year at least. It's the only one here but it is possible my neighbors have some. It's a big bush probably +60 years old. Never got any higher than the fence because the top of the fence is no longer a sheltered spot but a wind swept mountainside! However it is a very big bush that I'm trying to tame. You can't actually reach all the lemons let alone the actual trunk of the tree.

Back
Top Bottom