Recipe Mini Sushi Bagels

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:10 AM

This is an original recipe I created for the April 2021 recipe challenge that turned out better than I hoped it would. I made nori (Japanese sushi wrapper) mini bagels that are perfect appetizer size. I cut each bagel, toasted them, and layered my sushi ingredients atop each one. The first layer consists of cream cheese, mayonnaise, sriracha sauce, sushi rice, and chopped scallions. The second layer is sesame seed encrusted seared tuna (medium rare), and then a mixture of toasted sesame oil, wasabi, and soy sauce is drizzled over the top of each one. The crispy seaweed flavored bagel was a perfect base for the spicy tuna roll inspired layered ingredients.

Nori Sesame Bagel Recipe: Recipe - Sesame and Nori Mini Bagels

Layer 1 ingredients:
1/2 cup sushi rice
1 and 1/4 cup water
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 tsp sriracha
1 tsp mayonnaise
1 tbs chopped scallions (aka green onions or spring onions)

Method:
In a small pan, add the sushi rice, water, rice wine vinegar, salt, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer and cover (add a touch more water if necessary). In a small mixing bowl, add the cooked rice and the rest of the ingredients and mix well. If you like heat, add more sriracha to suit your tastes. Cover and set aside.

Layer 2 ingredients:
1 large fresh Ahi tuna steak, approximately 8-10 ounces
Sesame seeds
Salt and Pepper
1 tsp canola oil

Method:
Put sesame seeds in a shallow dish and add a dash of salt and ground black pepper. Rinse the tuna steak and coat with seeds. Heat a skillet (I used cast iron) on high heat and add the canola oil. When the oil is smoking, place the tuna steak in the pan and sear for approximately 2 minutes on each side, then remove from the pan to keep it from cooking longer. Cut thin slices of tuna for each bagel half.

Drizzle sauce:
1 tbsp wasabi
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp toasted sesame seed oil

Method:
Mix together ingredients, cover, and set aside.

Assembly:
Cut the sesame bagels in half and toast until golden brown, then add each layer.

Drizzle the soy/wasabi/sesame oil on each one and garnish with a few chopped scallions.

Serve and enjoy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom