Recipe Miso & Achiote Devilled Eggs

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:06 PM
The Mexican spice achiote (annatto) has a wonderful ability to colour food yellow. Its often used in the manufacture of margarine, butter and cheese to achieve a golden colour. If you steep shelled hard boiled eggs in an achiote water salution they will turn a beautiful yellow colour and take on a subtle flavour of achiote. The white miso filling adds a spicy kick. Feel free to adjust the strength of the curry powder (or chilli) you use. You could use mayonnaise instead of yoghurt if you prefer.

fullsizeoutput_4980.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2 to 3):
3 shelled hard-boiled eggs
1 tsp of achiote paste or powder dissolved in enough water to cover the eggs when placed in a beaker/bowl
1 tsp white miso paste
1 tbs medium curry powder or garam masala plus chilli powder
Scant 2 tbsp thick Greek style yoghurt
Chilli flakes to sprinkle

Method
  1. Place the eggs in a beaker or bowl.
  2. Cover the eggs with the achiote solution and leave to steep for 5 hr or more.
  3. Drain, halve and scoop out the yolks into a bowl.
  4. Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix well.
  5. Add salt to taste (you may not need any, depending on the saltiness of the miso).
  6. Pile the mixture into the hard-boiled egg whites and sprinkle with chilli flakes.
fullsizeoutput_497d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_497c.jpeg

Last edited:
The Mexican spice achiote (annatto) has a wonderful ability to colour food yellow. Its often used in the manufacture of margarine, butter and cheese to achieve a golden colour. If you steep shelled hard boiled eggs in an achiote water salutation they will turn a beautiful yellow colour and take on a subtle flavour of achiote. The white miso filling adds a spicy kick. Feel free to adjust the strength of the curry powder (or chilli) you use. You could use mayonnaise instead of yoghurt if you prefer.

View attachment 28541

Ingredients (serves 2 to 3):
3 shelled hard-boiled eggs
1 tsp of achiote paste or powder dissolved in enough water to cover the eggs when placed in a beaker/bowl
1 tsp white miso paste
1 tbs medium curry powder or garam masala plus chilli powder
Scant 2 tbsp thick Greek style yoghurt
Chilli flakes to sprinkle

Method
  1. Place the eggs in a beaker or bowl.
  2. Cover the eggs with the achiote solution and leave to steep for 5 hr or more.
  3. Drain, halve and scoop out the yolks into a bowl.
  4. Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix well.
  5. Add salt to taste (you may not need any, depending on the saltiness of the miso).
  6. Pile the mixture into the hard-boiled egg whites and sprinkle with chilli flakes.
View attachment 28543

View attachment 28542

Beautiful,again mg. we call them curried eggs down here, everyone loves my way, with store bought curry powder and mayo. ( home made) dash of paprika over the top for some colouring as well. Oh, and I pipe the filling, gives a nice shape. Would love to try yours!!

Russ

I'm going to be making deviled eggs for a picnic this weekend. I love my mother's curry powder, mustard and mayo recipe - and will of course make some of those. I'll add this in as well, plus a bacon avocado deviled egg choice.

Assuming I get ambitious enough to make all three!

And, nope, not bothering with piping them. Don't own a piping tool to begin with...

The local community center is having a picnic, and one can bring food just for oneself or to share. I figure - my contribution will be to share. We will be on site, there's a pond for dipping into, and there will be pavilions for shade (thankfully, it is supposed to get extremely HOT this weekend). So, actually, only two miles from my home!

I think "picnicking" is a word. I think?

That will be Sunday. Saturday evening there is a campout geared mainly (NOT entirely) for kids. I'll show up, but will "camp" at home.

The local community center is having a picnic, and one can bring food just for oneself or to share. I figure - my contribution will be to share. We will be on site, there's a pond for dipping into, and there will be pavilions for shade (thankfully, it is supposed to get extremely HOT this weekend). So, actually, only two miles from my home!

I think "picnicking" is a word. I think?

That will be Sunday. Saturday evening there is a campout geared mainly (NOT entirely) for kids. I'll show up, but will "camp" at home.

Take and post some pics of the picnic if you can. It sounds fun.

My eggs are boiled (we have a heat wave today and tomorrow, so I didn't want to add any more hot humid air to my non-A/C home than I had to!)

I will be making (that's the plan, anyway), three styles of devilled eggs tomorrow. One will be this - 6 eggs. One will be my mother's style (curry powder, mustard, mayo, pickles). And a third will have bacon crumbles in them, no curry, but we'll see how we adapt those... tomorrow. 6 eggs each recipe.

As I forgot to look for yogurt when out earlier today, the eggs from this recipe will use mayo.

My eggs are boiled (we have a heat wave today and tomorrow, so I didn't want to add any more hot humid air to my non-A/C home than I had to!)

I will be making (that's the plan, anyway), three styles of devilled eggs tomorrow. One will be this - 6 eggs. One will be my mother's style (curry powder, mustard, mayo, pickles). And a third will have bacon crumbles in them, no curry, but we'll see how we adapt those... tomorrow. 6 eggs each recipe.

As I forgot to look for yogurt when out earlier today, the eggs from this recipe will use mayo.

I use Mayo as well, but home made, my mums recipe.

Russ

My annatto seems to be old, the color isn't taking that well. (So, I added turmeric). They're still soaking for another hour, then I'll make these.

Meanwhile, I made two other styles - Mother's tried and true curry powder, Dijon and dill pickle recipe (sprinkled with paprika, so I guess I can enter that one to the current challenge)!
An experimental balsamic bacon one, which I'll also write up later.

All nestling in the fridge. It is brutal hot out today, but I expect deviled eggs to go FAST.

Six eggs each style.

picnic-eggs-spicy.jpg

I made six (12 halves), the others are on a separate tray. I ended up not sprinkling with red pepper flakes, although I'd have loved that - was considering my potential audience.

I used the guaram masala option.

You can't see the edges of the eggs but they were lightly yellow.

All three varieties of my eggs were a hit and I came home with two empty trays.

Back
Top Bottom