Legendary Member
Local time
12:06 PM
IMG_0482a.jpg

Moroccan Spiced Fish with Fennel, Leek and Cream Sauce

Ingredients (to serve 4)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tsp ras el hanout
  • 4 thick pieces of firm white fish (I used cod)
  • 1 large bulb of fennel, sliced thinly
  • 1 large leek, sliced thinly
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • 100 ml dry white wine
  • 500 ml vegetable stock
  • 200 ml double cream
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • Salt & pepper to taste

Method

Mix 1 tsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of ras el hanout to make a loose paste. Spread over the fish, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least one hour.

Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan. Sear the fish quickly until lightly browned on all sides. Transfer the fish to a baking tray and roast in a medium hot oven for about 10 mins until cooked through. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest.

Whilst the fish is roasting, into the pan used to brown the fish, put the fennel, leek, garlic, remaining ras el hanout and turmeric. Cook down for a few minutes until soft, then add the wine. Boil for 5 mins, then add the stock. Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced by two thirds. Add the cream and mustard and bring back to a simmer. Adjust the seasoning.

Serve with baby new potatoes, and fine green beans drizzled with lemon juice.

(Recipe adapted from an original by Emma Spitzer, Materchef Finalist, published in her book "Fress")

Fennel and fish are simply perfect together - and adding the spicy ras el hanout is a lovely dimension. I noticed you using leeks of late - I think I need to use them more often.

Back
Top Bottom