Recipe Mujadara with Charred Cabbage

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:00 PM
Mudjadara* is a lovely comfort food from the Middle-East. It reminds me of Indian Kitchiri which is claimed to be the origin of British Kedgeree. The charred cabbage adds a delicious taste, although I don’t think its authentic. Make it as spicy as you choose by adding extra chilli if you wish and you could vary the proportion of lentils to rice. I think it really needs the green herbs and caramelised onions on top. Serve with some lemon wedges to squeeze over the top. The yoghurt and/or egg is optional.

*Mujaddara ‎ (mujadarah, with alternative spellings in English majadra, mejadra, moujadara, mudardara, and megadarra)

fullsizeoutput_40a3.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)

50g brown or green lentils
75g basmati rice

1/4 of a small cabbage, chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or left whole)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
1 cinnamon quill
1 Indian bay leaf
3 black cardamom
3-4 birds-eye chillies
Salt (Approx. 2 tsp)

For the topping:

1 onion sliced
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Lemon wedges
Chopped green herb(s) of your choice
Lemon wedges
Fried or hard boiled egg (optional)
Plain yoghurt (optional)

Method
  1. Rinse the lentils and soak in hot water for 30 mins.
  2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan pan and add the chopped cabbage. Turn up to a medium high heat and allow the leaves to char slightly, keeping the cabbage moving to prevent burning. Set aside in a bowl.
  3. Add the remaining tbsp of oil to the pan and add the onions and garlic, cooking gently until softened (or if using whole garlic cloves as I did, brown them slightly).
  4. Add all the spices including the chillies and allow to cook for a few minutes being careful not to burn.
  5. Drain the lentils and add to the pan together with the rice and cabbage. Add 400ml of water and 2 tsp salt.
  6. Simmer on a low heat for 30 - 35 mins or until the rice and lentils are cooked. Check frequently and add more water if dries out (I added a further 150 ml of water during the cooking time).
  7. Cover the pan and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
  8. Whilst the Mujadara is cooking, gently fry the sliced onions in oil until golden and caramelised.
  9. Serve the Mujadara with lemon wedges and topped with yoghurt, caramelised onions and chopped green herbs (I used chives).
fullsizeoutput_40ba.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_40c2.jpeg

Last edited:
I love mujadara. It is one of the dishes I'm planning to make my mum for her birthday in a few weeks. I'll be cooking at my parents house so will have a proper kitchen.

I love mujadara. It is one of the dishes I'm planning to make my mum for her birthday in a few weeks. I'll be cooking at my parents house so will have a proper kitchen.

A chance to use the Indian Bay leaves - which are also probably not authentic but works so well.

Mudjadara* is a lovely comfort food from the Middle-East. It reminds me of Indian Kitchiri which is claimed to be the origin of British Kedgeree. The charred cabbage adds a delicious taste, although I don’t think its authentic. Make it as spicy as you choose by adding extra chilli if you wish and you could vary the proportion of lentils to rice. I think it really needs the green herbs and caramelised onions on top. Serve with some lemon wedges to squeeze over the top. The yoghurt and/or egg is optional.

*Mujaddara ‎ (mujadarah, with alternative spellings in English majadra, mejadra, moujadara, mudardara, and megadarra)

View attachment 22074

Ingredients (serves 2)

50g brown or green lentils
75g basmati rice

1/4 of a small cabbage, chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or left whole)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
1 cinnamon quill
1 Indian bay leaf
3 black cardamom
3-4 birds-eye chillies
Salt (Approx. 2 tsp)

For the topping:

1 onion sliced
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Lemon wedges
Chopped green herb(s) of your choice
Lemon wedges
Fried or hard boiled egg (optional)
Plain yoghurt (optional)

Method
  1. Rinse the lentils and soak in hot water for 30 mins.
  2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan pan and add the chopped cabbage. Turn up to a medium high heat and allow the leaves to char slightly, keeping the cabbage moving to prevent burning. Set aside in a bowl.
  3. Add the remaining tbsp of oil to the pan and add the onions and garlic, cooking gently until softened (or if using whole garlic cloves as I did, brown them slightly).
  4. Add all the spices including the chillies and allow to cook for a few minutes being careful not to burn.
  5. Drain the lentils and add to the pan together with the rice and cabbage. Add 400ml of water and 2 tsp salt.
  6. Simmer on a low heat for 30 - 35 mins or until the rice and lentils are cooked. Check frequently and add more water if dries out (I added a further 150 ml of water during the cooking time).
  7. Cover the pan and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
  8. Whilst the Mujadara is cooking, gently fry the sliced onions in oil until golden and caramelised.
  9. Serve the Mujadara with lemon wedges and topped with yoghurt, caramelised onions and chopped green herbs (I used chives).
View attachment 22075

View attachment 22076

Looks almost like Hoppin' John!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom