80 g/2.8 oz pine kernels/nuts (save ~3 tsp for garnish)​
60 g/2.1 oz Parmesan/Parmigiano cheese​
170-190 ml/0.7-0.8 cups crème fraîche/sour cream​
50 ml/1.7 oz/3-4 tblsp ev olive oil​
140 g/5 oz fresh basil (~two large bunches; save a few leaves for garnish)​
1-2 teaspoon(s) salt​
0.5-1 teaspoon black pepper​
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​
250 g/8.8 oz Portobello mushrooms (large, brown button mushrooms/champignons; ~4 large mushrooms)​
1-2 tablespoon(s) ev olive oil​
2 teaspoons dried oregano​
100 g/3.5 oz sun-dried tomatoes (if using tomatoes canned in oil, ~190 g/6.7 oz before draining)​
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​
a handful of cherry tomatoes for garnish​
For a vegan version, substitute the parmesan with nutritional yeast flakes and the crème fraîche with soy cream or unsweetened almond mixed with 1-2 teaspoons of corn/potato starch or 0.5-1 tablespoon of plain flour. If using starch, bring the sauce to boil; if using flour, cook for a few minutes.​
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 225°C/435°F/gas mark 7-8 with the heating element/grill resistor active.​
2. Cook the pasta while preparing the rest of the dish.​
3. Peel the shallots and garlic, place them and the whole green chil(l)i on top of heat-proof parchment, drizzle with evoo and syrup/honey and roast near the heating element for ~10 minutes until slightly charred.​
4. Grate the lemon zest.​
5. Mix the lemon zest, pine kernels, cheese, sour cream, oil, basil and salt & pepper (to taste) in a blender/mixer until the consistency is even but still grainy.​
6. Clean the mushrooms with a brush (if necessary), slice them and sauté in oil on medium-high heat for ~2-3 minutes with the oregano.​
7. Drain the sun-dried tomatoes (if in oil) and slice them into thin strips.​
8. Add the tomatoes into the pan and stir for a minute.​
9. Add the pre-made sauce (pesto-type mixture), stir and heat up.​
10. Mix the pan contents with the drained pasta, garnish with pine kernels and halved cherry tomatoes and serve.​
mupa_a.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really liking the blistered green chillies here with the pesto and mushrooms and using syrup/honey whilst charring them is something I've never done but will use/try.

Please convince me about how the sun-dried and fresh tomatoes work in this dish. Personally I find mushrooms and tomatoes are not the best of mates.

I'm really liking the blistered green chillies here with the pesto and mushrooms and using syrup/honey whilst charring them is something I've never done but will use/try.

Please convince me about how the sun-dried and fresh tomatoes work in this dish. Personally I find mushrooms and tomatoes are not the best of mates.
Thanks. I agree that in general, mushrooms and tomatoes aren't the best possible match. However, this pasta tasted pleasant to both my husband and me. Button mushrooms/champignons are a common topping in e.g. tomato-based pizzas and they're often paired with tomatoes in beef stews like Beef Bourguignon - and I don't dislike them in that context, either. I guess button mushrooms/larger Portobello mushrooms are so mild in flavour that they can be paired with tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom