Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Preparation time 15 mins
Cooking time 20/25 mins. Serves 4.
Ingredients
350g rice for risotto
2 onions (1 for broth,1 for rice)
150g fresh spinach
90g Taleggio cheese (alternatives: Brie, Ricotta or Gruyere cheese)
Butter
For the vegetable broth:
1 stock cube or carrot, onion, celery
Grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

Prepare the basic vegetable broth with celery, onion, carrot. Alternatively you can use a vegetable stock cube.
Wash the spinach, then put them in a pot with water and just blanch them for a few minutes. Now drain the spinach and chop up them in a pure e consistency.
Now chop finely the other onion and put it in another pot with some butter. After few minutes and the rice and toasted them for about 5 minutes.
Add the broth to the rice. The broth must cover the rice and after few minutes add the spinach puree into the rice pot and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes until the rice is cooked and the broth have been dried.
Switch off the heat.
Add the taleggio cheese ( or the cheese as brie or ricotta or gruyere) and a little piece of butter and mix altogether. Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese.
20170228_123817.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are! :laugh: I' m a fan of risotto too, also much more than pasta. Really I don't know why are so green, but maybe because I have used fresh spinach and I have only blenched them for a few minutes in the boiled water.You could try and let me know :okay:

This looks really good. I like risotto very much. How do you keep the spinach looking so green? I find it goes very dark when I cook it.

Thank you :thankyou:..oh yes, this is a simple dish to do effectively! If you would try to cook, you can put as alternative the ricotta cheese ( very light) instead of taleggio or other kind of cheese most fats. Or nothing about this, only spinach, no butter no cheese. It's also good in this way, more simple but good! Your heart will give you a big THANK YOU :woot:
Ciao!

Hmmmm .... well its looks simple and tasty but I wouldn't be sharing the butter and cheeses with my arteries and veins ...
cost me a fortune to have the heart I have now ... :dance:
CONGRATS on your win :bravo:well earnt
:drink:

They are! :laugh: I' m a fan of risotto too, also much more than pasta. Really I don't know why are so green, but maybe because I have used fresh spinach and I have only blenched them for a few minutes in the boiled water.You could try and let me know :okay:

I think you are right. Just cook spinach really quickly and then it retains the colour.

I think you are right. Just cook spinach really quickly and then it retains the colour.
Boil the fresh spinach for 30 seconds or so, however long it takes to change it to a rich green color. It happens fast, so keep an eye on it. Then, drain and immerse in a bowl of ice water. That stops the cooking process immediately and retains the color.

Boil the fresh spinach for 30 seconds or so, however long it takes to change it to a rich green color. It happens fast, so keep an eye on it. Then, drain and immerse in a bowl of ice water. That stops the cooking process immediately and retains the color.

It's a good tip! I don't do this but much people do it (my mum too)..I also think that the adding of cheese (white colour) give to spinach the brilliant green...

Last edited:
By the way, I love the look of this. It feels like a spinach pesto, in a way, even though there's no pine nut in the recipe.

Thank you :)..It's like a puree of spinach (without potatoes)..yesterday for my risotto with asparagus I made the same thing: put in a mixer and mixed with their boiled water (a little water) and voilà the asparagus cream...

I've seen chefs on TV immersing green vegetables in iced water after cooking. I must try that. Thanks!

PREPARATION TIME 15 MINUTES, COOKING TIME 20/25 MINUTES, SERVES 4.
INGREDIENTS:
350g RICE FOR RISOTTO
2 ONIONS (1 FOR BROTH, 1 FOR RICE)
150g FRESH SPINACH
90g TALEGGIO CHEESE ( ALTERNATIVES: BRIE, RICOTTA OR GRUYERE CHEESE)
BUTTER
FOR VEGETABLE BROTH: 1 STOCK CUBE OR CARROT, ONION, CELERY
GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE

METHOD:
Prepare the basic vegetable broth with celery, onion, carrot. Alternatively you can use a vegetable stock cube.
Wash the spinach, then put them in a pot with water and just blanch them for a few minutes. Now drain the spinach and chop up them in a pure e consistency.
Now chop finely the other onion and put it in another pot with some butter. After few minutes and the rice and toasted them for about 5 minutes.
Add the broth to the rice. The broth must cover the rice and after few minutes add the spinach puree into the rice pot and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes until the rice is cooked and the broth have been dried.
Switch off the heat.
Add the taleggio cheese ( or the cheese as brie or ricotta or gruyere) and a little piece of butter and mix altogether. Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese.View attachment 5594

@MypinchofItaly,

Definitely shall give this Risotto a go ! I am a grand Risotto Fan .. I normally prepare it with: 1) Wild mushrooms or 2) Gamberi: Red Crevette Prawns & / or 3) With Green Asparagus ..

Thank you for posting ..
Buonsera ..

@The Late Night Gourmet,

Blanching in hot simmered salted water for a 30 seconds to 1 minute at most, until tender but without losing color should do it .. This is a gorgeous and simple Risotto.

Have a nice day ..

@MypinchofItaly,

Definitely shall give this Risotto a go ! I am a grand Risotto Fan .. I normally prepare it with: 1) Wild mushrooms or 2) Gamberi: Red Crevette Prawns & / or 3) With Green Asparagus ..

Thank you for posting ..
Buonsera ..

Hola @Francesca, veo que nos dos somos grandes fans de risotto...(My spanish knowledge stops here!)
Oh very good with mushrooms, gamberi and asparagus, yummy. I've also tried to prepare it with turmeric, not bad. I also use rice to stuff vegetables (peperoni or tomatoes)..well, and obviously, rice salad! Adios!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom