Name an ingredient which can't be used in a salad

Here´s another ingredient then.
Kidneys.

I thought that but then I thought why not?

The thing is that salads don't have to be cold - so sliced warm cooked kidneys over a bed of salad leaves with a vinaigrette would work for me. Obviously some people don't like kidneys but that isn't the point here. I'll see if I can find an example or make it myself as I happen to love kidneys.

Hm...how about bay leaves?

Easy - deep fry until really crispy then crumble and sprinkle over the salad. Otherwise, they could simply be used to infuse in oil. Heat oil and bay leaf gently in a pan for 10 minutes. Allow the oil to cool and use in a salad dressing.

Easy - deep fry until really crispy then crumble and sprinkle over the salad. Otherwise, they could simply be used to infuse in oil. Heat oil and bay leaf gently in a pan for 10 minutes. Allow the oil to cool and use in a salad dressing.
But if it's infused in the oil, it doesn't really go in the salad.
Do you eat bay leaves? I've always heard they're toxic and can't be eaten, only used to flavor food.

But if it's infused in the oil, it doesn't really go in the salad.
Do you eat bay leaves? I've always heard they're toxic and can't be eaten, only used to flavor food.

Obviously there may be ingredients you don't eat 'in themselves' but which are used to flavour things - I think that qualifies as 'being used in' if the flavour from them is used in a salad.

Well, I'm making the rules here! :laugh:

Bay leaves aren't toxic but if eaten in large quantities can cause sleepiness.

I wouldn't put cane sugar ( or any course sugar) in a salad ( dressing). My paternal grandmother always added a spoonful of that to her salad, having us crunch on the otherwise savory leaves . It gives a sand like texture and is overly sweet for salad. Yuck.

I've always heard it's because their edges are sharp and they don't break down in your digestive tract so could injure your insides on their way through.
Maybe I meant laurel leaves? According to Wikipedia those are the ones you're not supposed to eat, but it says they can be eaten if they're ground: Laurus nobilis - Wikipedia

Sorry English is not my first language and I was translating. Here in Portugal I always heard that bay leaves are toxic and can't be eaten.

I've always heard it's because their edges are sharp and they don't break down in your digestive tract so could injure your insides on their way through.
OK, according to this source, you are right :laugh: : "Whether you call them bay leaves, bay laurel, or sweet laurel, this Mediterranean herb is a common ingredient in soups, stews, or braised meats.

It’s recommended that you remove the whole leaves or leaf pieces before eating. However, it’s not because they’re poisonous, but rather because they can be a choking hazard."

I wouldn't put cane sugar ( or any course sugar) in a salad ( dressing).
I´ve used it in salad dressings - there´s a really yummy one with papaya seeds, cane sugar and red wine vinegar that I just love.
However, on its own, just sprinkled over the salad? Yuk and double yuk

Read the top post - it has to be a basic individual ingredient not something 'already made' from a mix of ingredients.

That rules out a lot of options. Marshmallows would be out. Honey roasted peanuts would be out. Almost every salad dressing would be out. However, cyanide is a single ingredient. :wink:

CD

Back
Top Bottom