Name an ingredient which can't be used in a salad

That rules out a lot of options. Marshmallows would be out. Honey roasted peanuts would be out. Almost every salad dressing would be out. However, cyanide is a single ingredient. :wink:

CD

It would be a silly challenge if any ready made product made from several ingredients, was meant. There would be loads and loads of 'ready made products' which couldn't be used (as well as quite a few which could, of course).

Cyanide is lethal so it wouldn't be used in any recipe unless you wanted to kill someone.

So: any (non lethal!) individual ingredient which is not a ready made product made from several ingredients is what we are looking for.

Last edited:
How about raw leeks? I´d eat them, but they´re pretty potent . Or raw spring greens? (collard greens?)

Oh my! I have to keep refining the definition of what counts.

The ingredient can be cooked then added to the salad, no problem. Just like potatoes are cooked to add to salads.

The challenge is to find a basic individual ingredient (not a ready made product consisting of several ingredients) which wouldn't work in a salad. You are allowed to fry, simmer, roast or infuse the ingredient etc, just as you might for any salad.

If the challenge meant 'any raw ingredient' then obviously loads and loads of raw ingredients wouldn't work in a salad (like potatoes, raw ox heart etc.).

I don’t think there really is one. For one reason, a salad is something of a catch-all for just about any ingredients you happen to have on hand. Soup is sort of the same way, I think - you can throw just about anything into a soup.

Second, with all the culinary differences across cultures, the likelihood of an ingredient that no one uses is very slim at best.

Coffee? Nope. There’s coffee vinaigrette. Natural peanut butter? Nope. I see that is used in some Asian foods. There are even recipes for balut salad.

I think the answer to the original question is…none. 🤷🏻

I don’t think there really is one. For one reason, a salad is something of a catch-all for just about any ingredients you happen to have on hand. Soup is sort of the same way, I think - you can throw just about anything into a soup.

Second, with all the culinary differences across cultures, the likelihood of an ingredient that no one uses is very slim at best.

Coffee? Nope. There’s coffee vinaigrette. Natural peanut butter? Nope. I see that is used in some Asian foods. There are even recipes for balut salad.

Agreed. My conclusion is that everything and anything can go into a salad, with varying results, from absolutely delicious to completely disgusting 😁

Yeah, pretty much anything that meets the stated and refined rules COULD be used. It may taste awful, but it could be used.

CD

I was going to say Karo dark corn syrup but, nope, there is a dressing recipe that uses it.

Back
Top Bottom