National "Must Try" dishes

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
8:52 AM
An interesting survey carried out by Tik- Tok, apparently. Fish & Chips seems to fit in with the UK, and Arepas with Venezuela.
National Must Try Dishes
What about the local analyses, however? Banoffee pie in the South East? Bangers & Mash in London? Parmo in the North East? (Had to look that one up!)
Whataburger in Texas? Chicken Spiedini in Kansas?

Ploughmans and a pint of cider in the South West of England - with both ham and cheese because I don’t like it when they make you choose between the two! 😆

I thought Poutine was Canada’s unofficial top dish? Although I’m not sure if it’s a must try, I have had a very good version and thought it was way way nicer than I thought it would be.

An interesting survey carried out by Tik- Tok, apparently. Fish & Chips seems to fit in with the UK, and Arepas with Venezuela.
National Must Try Dishes
What about the local analyses, however? Banoffee pie in the South East? Bangers & Mash in London? Parmo in the North East? (Had to look that one up!)
Whataburger in Texas? Chicken Spiedini in Kansas?

The Official State Dish of Texas is Chili (con carne). Whataburger is probably the must try fast food here.

Actually, a lot of those US State dishes look wrong. But, if Tik-Tok had anything to do with this list, it's bound to be at least 50% wrong.

CD

The Official State Dish of Texas is Chili (con carne). Whataburger is probably the must try fast food here.

Actually, a lot of those US State dishes look wrong. But, if Tik-Tok had anything to do with this list, it's bound to be at least 50% wrong.

CD
They’re just following the new trend of there being “alternative truth” 🙄😆

Being in the antipodes we use a mixture of world dishes. The web has really opened it up.
Fish n chips is high here. Indian is also big here.
We have traveled the world eating various foods. My wife to this day says the best ever salad she has had was in Seoul.
I havnt come close to replicating it.
I cook a lot of murican food as well.
Prolly not to caseydog or TastyReuben standard but I dont get complaints.

Russ

Yeah, but this was the "must try" list. I've never eaten beaver tails, mind you!
Canadian here - I was also surprised that poutine wasn’t Canada’s top must try dish. Mind you I’ve never had poutine in Quebec, but the stuff is pretty delicious (it makes great drunk food). There is a very wide gulf between good poutine and bad poutine, however.

Beavertails are pretty delicious. They’re a bit of flattish deep-fried dough that’s dusted in cinnamon sugar (although you can get them with nutella, peanut butter, etc). I’m surprised that it’s on the must try-list, though, since many countries have a dessert that’s some variation on fried dough (churros, gulab jamuns, doughnuts, paczki, funnel cakes, etc.)

Perhaps the difference is "most popular" vs "must try?"

A good bowl of Texas chili is a favorite here (good chili, not whatever Yorky had his one day in Houston). Recipe - "Authentic" Texas Chili (A Bowl of Red)

I also tell people they need to try a Whataburger if they have time while in Texas. There are other things I'd put above a Whataburger if time is limited. Some Texas Barbecue Brisket (the proper Texas spelling), real TexMex, and chicken fried steak, although the article gives that one to Oklahoma.

An Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger is a must try there, IMO. It is a smash burger cooked on a flat-top with a bunch of sliced onions.

1704354197150.png

CD

I think Poutine should be a must try (for the UK at least) because it’s precisely the sort of food we turn our nose up at without even trying it.

The idea of cheese curds or gravy on chips sounds on the surface like something a chippy in a really bad area would serve.
I guarantee the majority of people I know have never the tried cheesy chips or chips and gravy (that are sold by chip shops in the UK), in the South at least it’s viewed as poor quality food for the potless!
And that is a world away from good Poutine. I had it in Quebec and I’ve made it a couple of times, I spent 24hours making the gravy. It was very much enjoyed by everyone.

The idea of cheese curds or gravy on chips sounds on the surface like something a chippy in a really bad area would serve.
I don't think we can honestly, as Brits, complain about that, given that we serve pineapple fritters, SPAM fritters, battered saveloys and curry sauce with our fish & chips.
Oh, I'm not complaining - I went to every chip shop in Maidstone last time I was there, looking for pineapple fritters!!

I don't think we can honestly, as Brits, complain about that, given that we serve pineapple fritters, SPAM fritters, battered saveloys and curry sauce with our fish & chips.
Oh, I'm not complaining - I went to every chip shop in Maidstone last time I was there, looking for pineapple fritters!!

Brits will make anything into a curry. I'm guessing there is a curry pizza, and probably a pineapple curry in the UK.

CD

Back
Top Bottom